1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Someone give Aldeth oxygen...(Civilization 5)

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Death Rabbit, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Ah, hell. Countless more hours of my life wasted...

That makes sense though - they come out about every five years. One day Mini-Fop will be playing Civ 8.

The other thing that sucks the big one is I haven't upgraded my computer since I bought it in 2004. I've been putting it off until some games comes out that compels me to do so. I played Dragon Age on the XBox with my brother, I wasn't wowed by it, so I didn't upgrade to play it. Currently my list of games that would cause me to upgrade my computer include Civ 5, Diablo 3, and Startcraft 2.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've been frankenstein-upgrading my computer for years now, and I think it's finally time for me to just build/buy a whole new one already. Every time I think I'm going to play PC games less and less, they keep coming up with newer, more sophisticated games and I just cave. :)

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Go for the new rig DR, it makes everything so much easier. I will shed my antique on Saturday when my new baby arrives. Monitor is there today, just waiting on UPS for the final delivery. I'm drooling just thinking about it.:)

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I usually just buy a new tower. Granted, that's the most expensive piece, but it does save you a few hundred bucks that it would cost for a monitor and printer. My printer is a Compaq InkJet 9000, which I think is about 10 years old. For the amount of printing I need to do, I can't see the sense in buying a new one. I don't print anything in color (although it is capable of doing so), and most of what I do print is text anyway, so the only thing a new printer would do is print faster. I bought a flat-screen monitor a few years ago, but that's only because my big clunky one finally died after a good 10-15 years of service.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Oh yeah baby, hexagons! :love:

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I never really understand the attraction with these games. Maybe it's just a mindset thing.

8. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Hey, they are stealing from Battletech (old school), Renegade Legion, and Settlers of Catan....

Oh, thats called learning from what you observe.... and tactically it really doesn't change the game.

Barmy, you just don't understand what it is like to conquer a continent do you?

9. Caradhras

Media:
    Funny, Barmy, I thought you liked the Medieval Wars series. Is it that different from Civ?

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @Caradhras: They're quite different, yes. Civ IV requires more of a planned playthrough than M2:TW does, with its tech trees and resource management. On the other hand, M2:TW has a far longer campaign with much more tactical battles where your own tactics determine the outcome of a battle far more than the size and composition of your army does. Personally, I'm with Barmy in that I like the Total War series a lot more than the Civ series.

11. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    For a really complex but detailed game you could have a game that combines the 2.

Total War sounds a lot like Imperial glory where the Tech Tree is smaller/simpler but you could choose to fight your own battles and your tactics really mattered.

Does Total War let you pick how your society/nation changes like Civ does?

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Total War IS the combination of RTS and turn based strategy. Do not think it is possible to combine the two any better than what Total War has done.

As for Civ5, I dunno, they have been talking about hexagons since the development of Civ2 and decided not to go down that path. Wonder why they changed now. I like the grid system, I can see, I mean really *see* the grid system and use it. How will I be able to see my BFC now?

13. Caradhras

Media:
    I like hexagons, it brings more possibilities to the game. I'd definitely enjoy this modification. It probably won't take that long to get used to.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I agree with Henkie - I think the Civ series and the TW series are totally different. Civ is largely a city/empire building game in which war is one part. The TW series is mostly a war game where city/empire building is one part.

EDIT: How are hexagons better, btw? Currently, I can move in any one of eight directions from my current square, whereas with a hexagon grid, that seems to be only, well, six obviously.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] In theory a hexagon provides a more stable matrix, in a strategic viewpoint for use of combat - less weakpoints on your own front and more oportunities to create angles of attack that benefit you.

pplr likes this.
  16. Caradhras

Media:
    [​IMG]
    I just have to say that I love it when a woman talks like that. :)

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    It just seems like a race to get the next better unit. it almost seems pointless buying archers / pikemen when if you give it a while, you can roll them with a tank. It's all bit daft. I also don't like how you can just randomly put your cities anywhere, but they still carry a proper name. 'Combat' is also very poor. I understand the whole technology tree business, I just find it all very boring unless I can see the fruits of my labour on the battlefield.

18. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Ever tried Imperial Glory?

Sounds quite similar with multiple regions you move into an a strategic map and when 2 opposing groups of units there is a realtime tactical battle if you want it (which is usually better to fight yourself rather than let the computer do it for you).

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    Imperial Glory is basically a Total War clone as I understand it, except it does not have any morale factors (as well as a few other touches) that mean it's missing a lot of the tactical edges TW has.

20. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Indeed, the prevalence of hexagonal structures in chemistry does seem to support that it is a stable structure - just look at (some forms of) diamond and graphite. Not only that, it also makes somewhat more sense that someone can only attack if they share a whole border with you, instead of just the one corner.

I don't really understand what the big deal is about hexagons in Civ V, though. I imagine that the BFC will be replaced by a circle two hexagons thick around your city, and that suddenly all your workers and armies will be walking like it's 1997 and they're walking out into a natural light, seeing the outside for the first time in their lifes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.