1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Something wrong with my Shield of Balduran

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Klorox, May 23, 2006.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I bought this item, but it didn't reflect any beholder rays. The rays never hurt the character holding the item, but the shield just appeared to stop the rays, never reflect them.

Any way to fix this item?

TIA

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

You sure you don't have a mod that tweaks it less powerful? IIRC there's at least one of those out there (though it's not the main purpose of the mod). Simple way to fix that would be to just delete any WA2SHIEL.ITM file from your override folder, which would restore the original version.

3. Klorox

I don't think I've used any mods like that.

I don't see an item with that name in my override folder, but there are similar titles: WA2AMU.ITM and a wa2helm.ATM and a WA2ROBE.ITM

I have no idea what that means though! :)

4. Felinoid

Those are the Sensate Amulet, the Simulacrum Helmet (assuming you meant ITM and not ATM), and the Robe of Vecna, respectively. I presume there is also not a WMART2.STO in the override either?

5. Klorox

Nope

6. Felinoid

Well, the only other problem I can think of (that I can solve anyway) is distance. Too close and you don't see it because it happens too fast, and I don't know if there's any sort of range on it. I've found half sight range to be an excellent place to stand and just watch them destroy themselves, when I'm of a mind to... :evil:

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I've encountered the same problem... the rays stop, but don't kill any beholders... I have to send in a tank and hope he doesn't get held.

I'll check my files to see if I have the .itm file.

Klorox, perhaps it is in a packaged mod, like Ease of Use, where there are a whole bunch of components, and you may have installed the wrong one accidentally. Do you have any multi-component mods?

8. Tardazor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Me too, and i don`t have any mod installed. Sometimes work ok, and sometimes doesn´t reflect anything.

9. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I occassionally get that too with the Cloak of Mirroring. Sometimes it just won't reflect the damage back to the caster. Re-equiping the cloak sometimes helps, but not always. I have no idea what causes this problem though.

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have EoU and the Shield of Balduran and it works fine; reflects those spells back like nobody's business. AFAIK, there isn't any tweak in EoU to change this shield.

11. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think the Creature/Area/AI improvements from the PPG Quest pack sets the shield to only reflect beholder rays when you are actually facing the beholder. I'll ask SimDing0 about it and re-post when I get an answer.

12. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Oh, I was just using EoU as an example of a multi-component mod. If anything, I would think EoU would amplify the damage, making the battle easier.

13. Klorox

Well, it used to work for me, but doesn't anymore.

The only difference I can think of between the game where it worked and now was my installation of Easy Tutu. But I uninstalled that shortly after trying it out.

14. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    It isn't quest pack. I just got my answer from Sim. A component from Zyraen's miscellany makes it work less often, but other than that I have no clue. Felinoid's suggestion of deleting the item from your override should get the job done.

15. Klorox

So.... does EasyTutu mess with the Shield of Balduran in any way?

16. Felinoid

Better question: Does EasyTutu even have the Shield of Balduran? :shake:
    Answer: No.

Does it affect your BG2 installation? Also no.

17. Die_Bad_Guys Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I thought TOB changed the shield of balduran and the cloak of mirroring to absorb and not reflect. Im probably wrong about this though.

18. Felinoid

That's correct, you're wrong. :roll:

Both still reflect in my ToB game.

19. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Actually Die_Bad_Guys is right about the Cloak of Mirroring.It doesn't reflect with ToB installed.But I don't know if it's ToB or the ToB Patch that changes this.

20. Felinoid

Or neither. In my patched and unmodded ToB game, the Cloak of Mirroring still reflects. I stuck it on Imoen when clearing out the Underdark beholder lair with my monk, because their beams would still find her way back at the entrance. The beams would go aaaaaallll the way there, and then aaaaaaallll the way back.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.