1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sorcerers

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Daemonic Lazoth, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Daemonic Lazoth Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Can any one give a good idea on what feats to give my sorcerer? I was thinking along the same lines as a wizard but will they be able to use the meta-magic feats like empower speel and all that?

2. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Basically the only difference in a sorcerer is that you can use the metamagical abilities at any time. That may come as obvious, but for example quicken spell is pretty much useless with the level 5 spellcap, if you're playing with a mage. But a sorcerer just might find that handy.

Now, when it comes to TToEE though, could someone please tell me how to get these feats to work? Quicken spell sure as heck is not a free action like it's supposed to be. And widen spell does nothing to increase the area of say "Web" spell. Either I'm dumb, unlucky, or the metamagic feats don't work the way they should.

3. Rednik Gems: 21/31

If I remember correctly, a big problem with ToEE was the complete lack of metamagic for sorcerers. There might be a fix for it, although I'm not sure.

My recommendations for a ToEE Sorcerer would be to stay away from the item creation and metamagic and focus on Spell Penetration and Spell Focus on the few spells you find yourself using a lot. Combat casting a must, that would be my pick for the 1st level feat. If your character is a talker, you could also expand on that.

4. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I disagree completely. Metamagic is great for a Sorcerer, especially Empower. For a fifth level slot, instead of the almost worthless Cone of Cold, drop in an Empowered Fireball (15d6 damage!). For a fourth level spell, instead of the worthless Ice Storm, try an Empowered Melf's Acid Arrow or a Maximized Magic Missile.

Quicken will not work for a Sorcerer, so do not even bother.

5. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Why doesn't it work then? Is it a bug or what? I seem to remember the same problem with NWN back when it came out as well. Free action, as if.

With full feats to spell penetration, Magic Missiles are immensely powerful against enemies that don't have any spell-level immunities. They're more reliable hit/damagewise than any other spell in the game, as long they penetrate the resistance. Just one mage will make 10d4+10 points of damage per turn (with quicken spell). That's 35 points of damage per turn, average. In my 3 games so far, no other character is that reliable a damage maker against the greater monsters. Especially when you count in the fact that only 1 and 5 level spells are needed for that. You can spare the spell slots inbetween for protection or area damage.

Considering how Melf's Acid Arrows can miss, and how about everything in the later part of TToEE has high reflex saves and Improved Evasion, and/or resistance to elemental magic, fireballs come pretty much useless against the stronger enemies.

Edit: *pointing down* Yes well, the manual is rather lacking in many things. But I did figure that much out myself. The thing is, I've only ever bothered to use 2 types of metamagical abilities. Quicken spell and widen spell. In both cases, the spell inhabited a slot higher as it should have (though widen spell's description says it's supposed to be 3 levels higher, when in fact a web of level 2 was only upgraded to level 3). But when I cast these new higher level spells, the effect was not in the least bit different. Quicken spell was a standard action, and widen spell was not widened.

[ July 12, 2004, 21:03: Message edited by: Foradasthar ]

6. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I have'nt played in a while so my memory may be faulty. Take a character with a metamagic feat and go to the screen where you choose your spells (the Sorcerer has one even though he does not need it like the Wizard does). Just to the left of the spell names is a dot/sun symbol -- circle in any case. If you wanted to empower magic missile, for example, click on the symbol to the left of magic missile and this should bring up a metamagic screen where you choose the metamagic to apply to the spell in question. Choose empower and click Okay or whatever button accepts the choice. You will now see Empowered Magic Missile as one of your spell choices as a fourth level spell. When casting, just choose the new spell called Empowered Magic Missile and cast normally.

Bug note: The metamagic system is bugged in that if you apply a metamagic feat to one spell, you will see the computer apply it to other spells randomly. You might eventually end up with a number of metamagiced spells that you do not want.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.