1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sorting through the fantasy jungle

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Harbourboy, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have reached a stage in my reading where I have finished everything I wanted to read and can now start on something new. I wanted to read some fantasy but it's so hard to work out what is good. Everything is part of a bigger series and you don't want to start a series if it's going to be rubbish.

Can anyone recommend a really good, engrossing, and interesting fantasy series for me to start?

I have just finished the original Shannara series by Terry Brooks and I would not call THAT a good series (it was a bit repetitive and too much copied from Tolkien). I don't think I'll bother with any of his other series (unless someone can convince me otherwise).

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    List what you have read thus far first... Otherwise we'll probably list a bunch of things you've read already.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Good point - hardly anything fantasy-wise. The only fantasy series I can remember reading are:

Everything by Tolkien
    Sword of Shannara
    Chronicles of Narnia
    Dark is Rising

So - not much - because in the past I have been put off embarking on a big series. But now I have discovered all you experts......I can tap into your experience.

4. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Drizzt!

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It has been said many times before but two authers you really should give a shot is Robin Hobb and George RR Martin. Hobb's Farseer and then Tawny Man trilogy are great, her Liveship trilogy is definately worth reading but not as good as the other two. Martin is just plain awesome, his A song of ice and fire is the best book series I have ever read all categories. Overall better than Hobb even if Hobb is a master of getting emotion out of her readers.

There is always Terry Pratchett which any self respecting fantasy reader have to read, start from the beginning and just work your way through, all the books stand alone but it is nice to read them in the order they were written.

6. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

[​IMG] I would recommend you to read the WoT(Wheel of Time) series. I'm almost finished with the first of many books, and they're quite excellent.

Edit: Author; Robert Jordan

[ January 29, 2004, 21:54: Message edited by: Daephon ]

7. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'd definitely recommend George R R Martin's "A Song Of Ice And Fire" - masterful from start to finish.

Not so sure about "Wheel of Time". Interesting enough start but the last few books have been downright awful and you'll most likely be pushing up the daisies before the series is finished.

I'd recommended Stephen R Donaldson's "The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" as an amazingly good read. The second series was a bit of a let down from the first but still well worth a read.

For more light-hearted reading, there's not much (in fact nothing I've read) that comes close to Terry Pratchett's "Discworld".

8. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

James Clemons-The Band and the Bansished series is quite good.

9. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

The Waylander books (Waylander, Waylander 2 and Hero in The Shadows, all part of the Drenai series) by David Gemmell are brilliant. You might want to read Legend first, or straight-away afterwards as well.

10. Harbourboy

Cool - this is the sort of info I was looking for. I forgot to mention that I have read almost all of the Discworld books already. I will check out which of the above books are featured in the local library.

11. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Definetely go for A Song of Ice and Fire by George Martin. The first book is called A Game of Thrones.

Stay far far far away from Robert Jordan's books. They're good at first, but end up in hundreds of pages in nonplotmoving generic crap. Really, it's not worth going into the series, because at first it's good and you'll start to care for it. Then you can watch the writer strangle his own story to death so many subplots that also don't move forward that you're just not sure wether you want to kill the author or yourself.

Go out and buy Martin's books. They're the best fantasy I've ever read, and I've read a few.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  13. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Margareth Weis and Tracy Hickman, especially their Deathgate cycle. For the rest I agree with Martin and Hobb. I'm also one of the very few people who still likes the WoT series where it is now (I'm at book 9) but even I must agree that alot of the storylines have turned really bad but the Mat storyline more than makes up for it IMHO. I also like Tad Williams but AFAIK he only has one fantasy serie, the other serie is Sci-Fi.

Jan Siegel has a good serie, The Children of Prospero (or something like that). W.J. Maryson may be worth a shot.

14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    david w wrote:
    I agree with everyting that he said here. The first series was excellent, while the second seemed to be one repetitive situation after another. Still worth reading both, though.

15. Shazamdude Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Lots of people are telling you how great George RR Martin is... well lots of people are right. It's simply a fantastic series.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time is great in the beginning, and then sort of hit and miss.

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is like Robert Jordan, only better. Still going on way too long, but definately worth reading.

Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman's Dragonlance: Chronicles and Dragonlance: Legends series are also great reads.

Also worth reading is anything by David Eddings. His Belgariad is a great series; he's a personal favorite.

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Roger Zelazny - Amber series (first five, fantastic, second five, eh)

Lawrence Watt Evans - The Esthshar books (The Misenchanted Sword, etc.)

Janny Wurts - She's got two series, I forget the names

Glen Cook - The Black Company series, The Garrett series

Joel Rosenberg - Guardians of the Flame series

Guy Gavriel Kay - The Fionavar Tapestry (currently in reprint)

Michael Stackpole - Anything fantasy

Steven Brust - Jhereg books

There are tons more, so feel free to PM me if you have a particular type of series you like and I will try to help.

17. Harbourboy

Cool - there are a few names here that are coming up again and again so they must be good.

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Julian May (Saga of the Exiles and so on), though they're a mix of science fiction and fantasy.

Robin Hobb
    GRR Martin

The Tamir Triad by someone I can't remember.

Kinda in that order.

19. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Terry Pratchett. Definitely.

Start with "Color of Magic" and go on from there. He's one of the most hilarious writers of fantasy ever.

20. Harbourboy

I've been down to the library and managed to find George R R Martin's "A Game of Thrones" as that seems to come highly recommended by you lot. Now I shall now see for myself.

Right, here goes: "We should start back", Gared urged . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.