1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sound Issues

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by TrueBlueAussie, Jan 30, 2007.

1. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] Ugh, its always the sound with my PCs. This time it is on our newest PC, not the one that I just had upgraded. I finally got around to installing the BG games on it and loaded a heap of mods. Everything worked well up until the actual playing of the game. Whenever I select a character or move them, there is only about a 1 in 10 chance that they will actually speak. I have had a look at the ingame settings but they seem to be fine (selection sounds are set on always and movement sounds are set on seldom)

Another problem is that in the opening sequence where good 'ol Jonny is having a bit of fun with you, he doesnt speak at all. Same with the golem that bursts in.

While these are pretty petty, they get damn well annoying. Any help would be great.

PS: the only new mods I put on were the semi-multi-mod and the subraces mod

2. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

It's strange. I Have had the same problems on the game and didn't know the characters spoke! I found out when I loaded an old machine with the game how much I was missing. I have no mods loaded and would also appreciate anything that can help.
    Sorry for jumping in TrueBlueAussie, thought it was just my crummy system, hope you don't mind.

3. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Not a problem mate. It seems that the better the PC, the worse the sound for this game. Odd.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Do you have EAX on? If so, try turning it off.

5. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Don't laugh now, remember just how old school I am. EAX? Help Taluntain!

6. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Options > Sounds > Uncheck environmental audio (EAX). I had this exact same issue.

7. Old One

Thanks CamDawg, I'll try it tonight and see if it works. The lack of sound made the game kinda flat and made for a lot of reading instead of playing. Thanks again Taluntain.

8. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Cheers CamDawg and Tal

9. Old One

Works like a charm! Bow to the masters!

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    EAX = Environmental Audio eXtensions

It's a Sound Blaster feature going back years. These days when most people don't buy Sound Blaster cards any more but simply use the integrated sound chips on the motherboards, it's mostly only a nuisance and something to be turned off. Funny thing is, pretty much all of these integrated sound chips are supposed to be fully compatible with EAX, but I have yet to see it work properly in any game on anything but a Sound Blaster.

Anyway, here's a bit more about EAX: http://www.soundblaster.com/eax/abouteax/

11. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

I'm pretty sure it's just BG2. I have an actual Soundblaster card that supports EAX and it still doesn't work.

12. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

While BG2 still sounds like a charm with my SB Live! bought in 1999, I saw problems arising indeed on certain PCs with integrated sound chips. On the other hand, BG/BG2 works fine on the PC I usually use (integrated sound chip on ASUS P5P800).

[ February 01, 2007, 01:11: Message edited by: Baronius ]

13. Old One

No wonder it was new to me. My last SB card was a SB 16. Thanks for the info and this rather poor machine does have integrated chips but so does the old Compaq that gives me sound. To bad it's old "on board" video just can't quite cut it. Seems like the older the product the closer to standard it is. My soundset is older than I thought for a newer machine, has anyone had problems with Realtec AC'97 onboard chipsets?

14. pro55 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have changed 3 sound cards in the years of playing BG series; EAX option never worked for me with any of them (other games are fine, it's just BG).

15. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Yep,have the same problem on my current PC which uses Realtec AC97.

And I never had a problem before with EAX on older PCs (PII,PIII).

16. Taluntain

Media:
    Most of the integrated sound chips you'll encounter are Realtek's implementation of AC'97. It usually works fine for newer games, but you will see occasional issues with older games.

17. Old One

Finding all this out I guess I'll just play my older and DOS games on the old 98SE machine. Lucky for me BG I&II and the IWD series play well now on this one. This will teach me to buy any "integrated" anything!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.