1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spell Imprisonment.

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by IronEagle, Dec 6, 2000.

1. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Ive never actually had this spell cast on me as i recall, but receltly lots of people are saying how bad it sucks, or how they cant avoid it. Well is it possible to make a saving throw against it or is one of those this will effect you no matter what spells?

2. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Spell Imprisonment? What level is it?

I know Maze is annoying but I have yet to come across a Spell Imprisonment Scroll of any kind, unless it's deeper in the later chapters.

Syl...

3. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Its in the manual

NO saving throw
    there is only 1 spell that can reverse it, and thats a level 9 spell.

4. IronEagle Gems: 13/31

Sly, i do believe it cannot be used by players... but i might be wrong... i dont uncap the game so i do not get to level 40 and have 900 level 9 slots...

5. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

What level Yogurt?

Syl...

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The only way to avoid Imprisonment(besides spell protections like Spell Immunity or the Scroll of Magic Protection) is to avoid being touched.

Syl: L9 I believe...

Oh, and the reason it's so bad is that if the protagonist is Imprisoned the game is over. Period.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited December 06, 2000).]

7. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Ah no wonder. Here I am looking under S for Spell Imprisonment ;)

Syl...

8. IronEagle Gems: 13/31

perhaps i should have named the topic, "About the Spell Imprisonment".

9. Elenias Nal'nair Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Blackthorne is right but the manual is wrong... Avoid being touched doesn't help you since there's no such range restriction on that spell. The caster actually can imprison you right as he sees you and WOOSSHH you're gone...forever. In case it's Kangaxx there seems to be a difference for he (I hope only he) uses this spell as innate ability (unlimited), but that's another story frequently discussed on this M'Board...

10. Mobeus Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] Imprisonment is a level nine spell with no save (like most level 9 spells, it seems). But I think I have run across a scroll somewhere, but can't recall just where offhand. Very rare at any rate.

The only possible protection may be the protection from magic spell and choose abjuration as the protected class. Or, if you can disrupt the casting so the spell fizzles. (not likely, it seems, as most major baddies seem to be able to concentrate no matter what they are being hit with!)

Another side affect is that imprisoned creatures (if you summoned allies) count against your 5 limit for control purposes. :(
    :D

/Edit: Apologies, the protection spell I was referring to above is 'Spell Immunity', also mentioned by a previous poster. It's a level 5 spell, which makes it pretty powerful to able to stop all spell levels of the chosen school. /End Edit ;)

[This message has been edited by Mobeus (edited December 07, 2000).]

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Elenias - Untrue; I have avoided Imprisonment on two occasions that I'm aware of by avoiding the mage's touch. The tipoff that Imprisonment is about to be cast upon you is that the mage (or Elder Orb in the other case I'm referring to) starts walking towards you (that is if your not already next to him). Once you see that, you better move your behind, or it's all over...

One thing to note is an attack roll is not necessary; as soon as the mage is in range... POOF!

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited December 07, 2000).]

12. fransdg Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

the easiest way is to avoid imprisont spell is by decoy, wheater you send one of your npc like anomen or keldron or monster summoner...

13. Nightal Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Just use Freedom and Spell Imunety!!!!!!!

14. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I believe Beholders & Elder Orb's are confined to the 'Touch' range that the manual referr's to. However Liches can 'cast' Imprisonment when you are within sight. Kangaxx was already mentioned. High level wizards can 'cast' Imprisonment from afar as well such as Malchor Harpell.

Bererker rage ability also makes one immune to Maze & Imprisonment... in addtiion to the posts above protections that were mentioned.

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Really? Hmmm... Never had that problem... There was that one mage in the Soul Trap (not the Lich) who tried Imprisonment on me and I just ran around him firing arrows until he died... The reason I know he was trying Imprisonment was the first time I faced him he succeeded! :)

I guess it just depends on the particular monster who's casting it; seems pretty arbitrary :(

Unless it's only Kangaxx and Malchor who are the exceptions?

16. Nightal Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Who is this Malchor Harpell and where can I find him.

17. Elenias Nal'nair Gems: 5/31

He only appears after you've stolen Drizzt's equipment just to steal it from you...

18. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31

Wizard Spells - Level 9

Freedom (Abjuration)

Range: Special
    Casting Time: 9
    Duration: Instant
    Saving Throw: None
    Area of Effect: special

This is the reverse of the spell imprisonment. When a creature is imprisoned, he is trapped in a sphere far beneath the surface of the earth. If this spell is cast in the area where he was imprisoned it will instantly free him and he will reappear exactly where he was standing when he was imprisoned. The spell will also cancel the effects of the spell maze and return any characters trapped in the labyrinth of planes.

Thats what it says in the manual.

Its a shame that without an XP remover (I think and an INT of 18, only 1 NPC can use it.

19. Mobeus Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] I believe that any mage could cast the level 9 spells from a scroll, if you can find/buy one. (unless the subject spell is from your opposition school of magic). But I also believe you have a greater chance of spell failure if you have lower INT and the lower your casting level is below 9. :)

20. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31

perhaps, but level 9 scrolls will be some of the rarer items in the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.