1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spell question for arch-mages!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Silverstar, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] OK I am away from my dear home, personal computer, BG2 and Fearun (as my school started ARGH) luckily I may drop to home per two weeks maybe and at least I have a connection to Fearun thanks to Sorcerer's Place.

ANYWAY, I left the game in Suldenasellar and I hve improved Irenicus battle ahead of me. I need some spell information and unfourtunately I can not try it. SO I have to trust other experienced arch-mage guys here:

Improved Irenicus has BOTH SI:abjuration, SI:divination and Improved Invisibility and as such one can not target him with spells.

HOW can I rip his defenses? I have a few ideas:

1)Will Ruby Ray of Reversal work? BUT how can I target ALWAYS invisible Irenicus? Will putting 3 of it in Chain Contingency work? Will it rip SIs OR other protections he has? (and he has many)Is it like gambling as it can dispel another protecton and NOT SIs? I can not put it on CG before battle as it is the THIRD battle round I need it against Irenicus so I must cast CG when batlling his last form.

2)Will Pierce Shield work? I know it is ABJURATION but I have heard it is bugged that it bypasses SI:Abjuration. Is it true? Will it dispel SI:abjuration or just make its way around to dispel another one like spell turning? I can put it in CG too and this is more powerful as it will lower MR which I am sure Irenicus has many.

3)Do wands from Watcher'sKeep that casts BREACH and PIERCE MAGIC work? I discovered that one can use wands on invisible creatures!!! Is it also a bug or the function of wands?

4)WANDS hmm what about me using WAND of LIGHTNING on JonBon to elecrocute his a**? Sure he has MR and spellturning but he is NOT immune to electricity. If I wear CLoak of Reflection (which reflects ALL electrical damage) I can easily overcome his SpellTurning!!! (THE bolts will just jump between us and eventually his ST will be spent whilst my cloak lasts forever)

5)Do you have any other spell/item combo to overcome his annoying defenses?

Thanks all in advance...

2. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Maybe a Nishruu or Hakeashar? I think they can see through invisibility, but I also think they're both vulnerable to Death Spell. :(

If you've done Watcher's Keep and have Wands of Spell Striking, *and* also have Tactics with its power creatures worth lots of XP, maybe you're powerful enough to summon an Astral Deva. They have crazy abilities and I think they can also see through invisibility.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I had tried the battle when tactics was installed, loaded my old save and tried Nishruu and Hakeshar. Irenicus does not cast DEATH spell but they are USELESS because:

1-Irenicus Dimension Doors a lot and they can not keep up with him to be cannon fodder. Irenicus does not target them much.

2-Improved Irencius has INFINITE spells so their attacks are also useless.

Devas are useless, Irenicus has PfromMagicalWeapons active most of the time and their spells are crap.

PLANETARS RULE as they can see invisible and cast InsectPlague three times!!! It really screwes ImprovedIrenicus! Insects eat his stoneskins FAST and damage him, he teleports away ro heal himself but his spells are constantly disrupting! :D IF a fast fighter catchs him QUICKLY at that moment he can be beatable.

BUT I want to beat him with my very own spells! ANY ideas?

4. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I'm not sure if he is immune to low level spells but glitterdust is the old SI: Divination breaker and I don't think its and Abjuration spell.

I beat this module once and didnt find Irenicus himself that difficult. It was his little buddies that got me, especially that sword :nolike:

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

NEVER thought of Glitterdust but Irenicus will MOST SURELY make his saving throw vs spells! So it will be crap? ( a save vs spell negates all effect right?)

HEH first round of battle is actually quite hard but I have a nasty trick for it, my ChainContingency and 4 ProjectImages trick will clean all of them (except Wraith of Wrath) Look my previous forums for details...

6. Malovae Gems: 18/31

IIRC, thesave negates the blindness but they still become visible.

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

REALLY? OH wow than it is a first class spell!!! GOTTA TRY IT!

Would'nt it be funny that overpowered arch-archmage Improved Irenicus with infinite spells falls to a level 2 spell? Such is the irony of magic!

Thanks pal!

8. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Maby the thieves dispel illusion ability. Also what spells does he have infinite of? Any spell he wants or only spells like magic missile are infinite? This is important because if you are patient and have the staff of the magi (or a LOT of invisibility potions) you can just allow his protections to die out as you sit there invisible. But if he can recast all his protections then that dosnt help.

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

If you have Staff of the Magi...just hit him with it. IIRC, the dispel still works even though you have SI: Abjuration on, because you're not technically casting a spell on him. :p

Again...what class are you playing as? If its a single-classed mage/sorcerer, I'm assuming you've had the sense to get Summon Planetar? :D That should solve your problems.

IMHO, saying you want to beat him without Planetars is stupid, to say the least. First off, you're soloing. Improved Irenicus was clearly meant for a party at lvl 40 :heh: Secondly, he is broken. The level of micromanagement you are expected to endure in that fight borders on number crunching tedium. Thirdly...solo mages are BAD at Imp. Irenicus when compared with multiclassed or dual-classed solos...they atleast have a little flexibility.

I'm glad you're not trying this out with a solo fighter atleast... :p

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

HEY I am not soloing! (though I may solo in the future BUT not now!) I have done nearly every quest before going Asylum with only 4 characters (MAJOR level ups) and IMPROVED ASYLUM proved to be fun (XP wise) My party is like this, a pretty TOUGH and experienced party:

1)BIG me, a lvl14 cleric dualled into mage now level20! SoM, RobeofVecna, Sorcerianring.
    He is TOUGH with cleric HP and can cast 7th level cleric spells as well! (VERY good build if you ask me)

2)MP created TOUGH kensai uses CF+5 and Sanchudooku+4!

3)Jaheira with that Water's Talon+4 (it hits from a range, poisons, heals wielder per hit, immunity to charm and horrid wilting) (wow)

4)Minsc dual-wielding FoA+3 and CromFaeyr

5)Keldorn with Carsomyr (but ofcourse!)

6)Sissy Imoen with Gessens Bow and Staff of Elemental Mastery (kills any elemental (NO save) summons air, earth, fire elemental 1/day (all at once) she will get Eagle bow from Improved SAREVOK in Abyss (it is DEVASTATING!)

HEH yes we are a BIG power-game party but I am still afraid as I will take Improved Irenicus in INSANE difficulty (his gang will summon LOTS of NASTY creatures (liches, beholders, wraiths, mordy swords) so I HAVE TO kill them ALL in the first rounds (via CG and 4 project images) BUT Improved Irenicus himself is a pain! He has IMPROVED ALACRITY ALWAYS and all BEST mage items (RobeofVecna, AmuletofPower etc.) He also continously casts:

Greater Malison, Chaos, Symbolstun, Symbolfear, AbiDalzim'sHorridwilting, Cone of COld(serıous DAMAGE), Flamearrow (20d6, 40d6 in insane it hurts) , sometimes TimeStop and noone can touch him! (he casts PfromMagicWeapons or ImprovedMantle in every 4rounds and you can not breach/dispel him) he also has one nasty ability: SHATTER MAGIC it dispels all protections from the party and lowers MR. (he easily slays SkeletonWarriors with this)

NOW I will try GLITTERDUST, I don't have a thief with DetectIllusions. I DO not know if he casts protections again but his protections seem to last forever and a day!

11. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Well with Glitterdust maby you will see Irenicus and thus Keldern can go and dispel with Carsomyr on a mellee hit. Since you have "minions" that helps a LOT!

12. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Problem is he likes to cast Protection From Magic Weapons a lot and sometimes Improved Mantle, PfMW leaves Staff of Magi or Carsomyr useless, and if we hit him we will be damaged from his FIRE SHIELD PURPLE (aka:Fshield Red+Fshield Blue) though I think SoM and Carsomyr can bypass Improved Mantle right? (they are +5) so I must wait until he starts to cast Imantle and go for it. (if we can survive his HEAVY arsenal of magic that is but I am optimistic.)

OK strategy: GLITERDUST to make him visible, Ruby Ray of Reversal to dispel his SI:Abjuration and then Keldorn's POWERFUL DispelMagic will most likely leave him naked. AT that point IMMY will strike him with EAGLE FEATHER arrows (they stun without save) (Immy will rejoice to hurt IRENICUSS!) and he will be STUNNED, then my angry GWWing kensai,(he is a horror to behold) Jaheira, (for the fallen!) and Minsc (with Boo going for the eyes) will quickly rip poor JonBon apart (HOPEFULLY?) BUT Keldorn will not attack (Carsomyr will dispel STUN! ARGH!) nor will I (Staff of Magi dispels too!) (but I have SLING! OH yeah I will tear a hole in Irenicus's skull like explained in proficiency description! :D )

BUT WHAT IF HE IS IMMUNE TO GLITTERDUST? Improved Bodhi was immune up to 2nd level spells and Irenicus is his superior, so all my plan will be FOILED if it says:

Jon Irenicus-Spell Ineffective

AAAARGGGHH!

13. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

There is a small period in witch prot form magical weapons and ImprovedMantle (1-2 rounds) are not active . I had Imoen cast a TimeStop (from a scroll) and then with kudane and belm she killed him , a timestop + energy blades should work when he has ImprovedMantle (Keldorn with cloak of mirroring and boots of speed can tank ,if he does not get stunned and the swords catch him, until the wright moment )

14. Malovae Gems: 18/31

FOILED... lol, that is a hilarious thing to say if he is immune. I said it may be possible, but I can't remember, its how I get around Tactics SI: divination + invisibity combo in the past :)

Anyway.... if your fighting him and its says 'Jon Irenicus-Spell Ineffective' you have shout aloud.... FOILED!! and wave your fist around in angrily.

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Immy killed ImprovedIrenicus? WOW that must have been a sight to behold!

'You torture us and took our souls right? Time to repay for your crimes!'

(JonBon is totally frozen in the time.)

'GOT YA GOD!' (innocent Immy is happily slashing through JonBon's guts.)

(time returns to normal, JonBon realises he is dying)
    'Who killed....me?'

(Immy replies with all her innocence and charm AND a big grin)
    'HEYA! It's me, Imoen!'

:D :D ASTOUNDING!!!

BTW I can not know until I TRİED Glitterdust on him, isn't there anybody who used GD on Imp.Irenicus???

16. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Not really...after all, it IS a lvl 2 spell...everyone would just be whacking at him with Staff of the Magi/Carsomyr and hope he dies quick. :D

Can Imp. Irenicus see through invisibility? If not, casting Mass Invisibility should make your characters immune to being targeted with spells...unless of course, he casts True Sight..still atleast your mages should be protected.

Imp. Irenicus is a joke...honestly. The final fight in Ascension was easier than Imp. Irenicus! And that's saying something! :eek:

17. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31

Veteran

does he move around a lot and what are his resistances anyway. I wonder because is it possible to just barrage him with area effects such as potions of explosions and the like?

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

He teleports everytime you hit him, IIRC. Or it might be timed. When I was fighting him with my solo FMC, it seemed that everytime I whacked him with SoTM, he just Dimension Door'd away. Very annoying. Power Word Stun didn't affect him either, nor did Symbol Stun.

I hate that fight. :grr:

19. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Not only he teleports away quickly when you MANAGE to hit him, he casts CURE CRITICAL WOUNDS to heal even the minor damage! AND he has INFINITE spells, mind you.

I also noticed area-effect spells did NOTHING to him, HolySmite, Abi-Dalzim, Fire spells etc. just can not touch him! It does not say Spell Ineffective or MagicResistance, or immune to damage, the spell just does not hit him! ODD! So I think it is a fairly good chance that he will be unaffected by Glitterdust too!

Then only sensible way is to cast a CG to nearest enemy, and pump 3 ruby ray of reversals on it? (to dispel SI:Abjuration, Divination and spell turning) if he re-casts them though, I think I will scream!!!

20. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Infinite spells with Permanent Improved Alacrity on...why WOULDNT he re-cast them? :p

I'd like to hear about people having beat this guy solo...if can someone with free time on their hands post links please?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.