1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spirit animals

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Oricalcum, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Oricalcum Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Does anyone perhaps know a few stats for those Spirit animals off of the top of their head? My search yielded zero topics on Totemic Druids in general. I am just wondering because I just created a TD, which could easily become my favorite Druid class.

2. Silverblade Guest

Totemic Druids are really the best druid class, because they can summon an extra creature to assist you in your battle. The Avenger has big penalty on con and str and the Shapeshifter, well, he can only shapeshift (which I never do).

So, the best druid class is the totemic druid, but I can't help you with the spirit animal stats.

3. Avooch Dar Guest

Actually the shapeshifter can summon fire elementals and cave bears, sirenes and earth elementals. Plus a greater werewolf that makes hem more powerful.

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Which one of four spirit creatures will be summoned by Totemic Druid is determined randomly.
    These are significant base stats of those four creatures (in SoA - not ToB):

Spirit Bear
    HP 96
    AC 2
    THAC0 10
    STR 18/83
    DEX 14
    CON 14
    ST vs Death 8
    ST vs Breath 10
    ST vs Spells 11

It's attack inflicts 1d10 slashing damage.
    Creature who is hit by this bear must make save vs paralyze/poison/death (with +3 bonus) or become panicked.

Spirit Lion
    HP 72
    AC 1
    THAC0 8
    STR 19
    DEX 18
    CON 14
    ST vs Death 8
    ST vs Breath 10
    ST vs Spells 11

It's attack inflicts 1d8+2 piercing damage.

Spirit Snake
    HP 45
    AC -1
    THAC0 9
    STR 18
    DEX 18
    CON 14
    ST vs Death 7
    ST vs Breath 9
    ST vs Spells 10

It's attack inflictd 1d10 piercing damage.
    Creature who is hit by this snake must make save vs paralyze/poison/death or become poisoned.

Spirit Wolf
    HP 56
    AC 0
    THAC0 9
    STR 16
    DEX 20
    CON 14
    ST vs Death 7
    ST vs Breath 9
    ST vs Spells 10

It's attack inflicts 1d4 piercing damage + 1d6 cold damage.
    Creature who is hit by this wolf must make save vs spells (with +2 bonus) or suffer level drain (1 level per successful hit).

General effects
    All four creatures are immune to these spell effects: panic, poison, sleep, fatigue, petrification, confusion, beserk, charm, hold, slay (instant kill), level drain, stun and morale modifications.
    Also they all share 100% resistance to cold, electricity and magical cold.
    And they are all immune to normal weapons (those not enchanted).

----------------------------------------
    Tal, perhaps this last comment does not need to be included:

All four attacks should behave as enchanted (magical) weapons, however due to another bug, they are considered as NORMAL weapons - details are below.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited August 19, 2001).]

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Great work Extremist, I'll add this list to SP when I make the update today!

6. Oricalcum Gems: 5/31

Thanks Extremist, I wasn't quite expecting such powerful stats. Maybe I will solo with him.

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] And the casting times on those guys is virtually nothing so you can get them out in battle no problem :D I love the snake animations.

8. Avooch Dar Guest

ahhh
    Another wise person on a solo quest with a Druid.

Good luck noble fellow!!!!

9. Marmeille Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Are Spirit Animals instantly affected by the Death Spell or is there a chance they'll save against it?

10. Zaragoth Guest

Do you get one of these animals or all three at different times?

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] I can say only: DAMN! :mad:

Here is the reason - those weapons of spirit animals act as NORMAL weapons. Yes, in the files they are enchanted as I wrote, but somehow they CAN'T hit creatures immune to normal weapons. So, damn again.
    I guess that problem lies within the engine but I can't prove it. :mad: :mad:

Tal, please, if you put the list already - correct it. Spirit animals CAN NOT hit creatures immune to normal weapons (golems, liches, etc etc) :(

------------------------------------

And the answer to a question about Death spell - it will destroy spirit animals - even if you tried to protect them with Death Ward spell. Sorry...

Another question gets this answer - you get ONE animal per ONE summoning (in SoA your druid will be able to summon max three animals because he will have max three summon abilities).

------------------------------------

[EDIT]
    All other things I posted are correct - only enchant on attack doesn't work.

12. Talwin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well someone should create an override that fixes the non hitting with enchanted like weapons.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Extremist, could you edit your original post so I know what to take out?

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Finally, I found it!

As I said - attack from Spirit animals should behave as enchanted weapon. But it is considered as NORMAL weapon.

And why?

Because damned game creators "forgot" to "turn on" the identifier that determines those as MAGICAL weapons.

The game engine in fight first tests if the weapon is MAGICAL, and then ONLY if it is magical, engine tests it's enchantment. In case of Spirit animals, the weapons ARE NOT magical, so even if they were enchanted +200, the game would still take them as NORMAL weapons.

For god's sake, is there an end to BG2 bugs? :rolleyes:

Maybe enchantment is a bug, but then again, maybe "forgotten" flag that determines magical weapons is a bug. Only developers can know that.
    I can only say that I'm pissed, and this time I'm not joking when I say: :mad: :mad:

------------------------------------------------

The only thing I can conclude is that weapon that drains levels, weapon that inflicts fear or poisonous weapon SHOULD be magical.

If you agree with me - use Infinity Engine Explorer to export these weapons (LIONSPIR.ITM, WOLFSPIR.ITM, BEARSPIR.ITM and SNAKSPIR.ITM) then use Infinity Engine Editor Pro or Hex Editor to make those weapons magical as they should be.

Edited weapons just copy to OVERRIDE folder - and they will start acting as they should - enchanted +5 and +6.

Tal, edit is done...

OMG, OMG, I found another bug, not related to this thread, but... :mad:

There is a level 9 mage spell called Energy Drain and in it's description says that it drains 2 (two) levels of experience from a victim...

No guys, it drains 5 (five) levels! :mad:

A bug is either in spell description or in leveldrain effect. Geez... There should be a special forum with Black Isle bugs I guess... :rolleyes:

15. Avooch Dar Guest

Extremist a question.

Where do you get all of this info from???
    It is really brill having you on the boards to keep us amused but please tell us your secret!

16. Taluntain

Media:
    Thanks, I'll update the html I put on the site.

17. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Brill?! Ain't that a fish?

So it's fishy to get me here :p :p

Actually, I started to slice and dice BG1 savegames with hex editor - then I researched other BG1 files also with hex editor. I actually make base text on how to hex edit saved game in BG1 but I never posted it anywhere - I never finished it completely.
    Then came PT and I researched that there too. It was pretty easy with the same engine involved...
    And then I continued it in BG2. Finally I found this place, stayed on it and that's the whole story.

BTW, hex numbers were part of my life for almost 15 years... So, nothing much surprising...

Anyone can actually do it. I'm just one who is regulary here.

18. Talwin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Extremist I'm an awful Hex editor =) Perchance you could change the files and post em as a zip? I'm sure that Tal would put it in the sorcerers.net file pages

19. Oricalcum Gems: 5/31

You say they are aware of this mistake with the Animal attacks. And it is not remedied in any current patch? Maybe I will look at the readme of the current patch. What were they smoking.

20. Extremist Gems: 31/31

You actually don't need hex editor for that.

You need two utils.

First one is Infinity Engine Explorer, and you can download it from here: http://infexp.sourceforge.net/#downloads

Run it over BG2, and then activate Items section. Inside that section find codes I posted above (lionspir, etc). Right-Click on each of them - and you'll actually extract them as item files.

Now you'll need Infinity Engine Editor. Download this file first: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/VB6pkg.exe
    Run it once (it's library file needed for Visual Basic 6 codes).
    Then download the util itself: http://www.teambg.net/teambg_com/cgi-bin/download/download.cgi?util_players/IE ES_v103Build13.zip
    Run it and inside load each item you extracted. Just "turn on" switch that says magical and save edited files in OVERRIDE folder.

If that "standard" version can't do it, then download "pro" version here: http://www.teambg.net/teambg_com/cgi-bin/download/download.cgi?util_devs/IEEP_v109Build39.zip

----------------------------------------

I really don't think that Tal would put those edited files on the place, but if he asks...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.