1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Strongholds

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Lantus, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Lantus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

2. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Thieve's Guild & the Order. Thieve's Guild because being a thief is cool, but being one of the most powerful thieve's in the city 5 days after you moved there is cooler. The Order because you get to do all the quests in rapid succession. None of that waiting for a week crap.

3. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    D'Arnise hold. Sure, you spend more gold than you get (can do), but the events are interesting. Also, that stronghold has the most events as well iirc.

4. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Thief Guild. You get to kill a real lowlife and the rewards are good too.

I would have picked the Bard stronghold, if I had managed to ever finish it.
    The D'Arnise keep is fun to get but a pain to run.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    De'Arnise Hold is the biggest event. The Druidic Grove is a major one, too. The thief guild much so. Pretty much everything else is minor with maybe the Sphere being less minor than the other ones. Still, I'm able to get some good feeling from paladin quests.

6. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I thought the last quest in the bards stronghold was the most fun. But I like the planar sphere as it (can) provides you with potions when you complete the quests.

I have yet to try the cleric but it sounds fun if you are an evil character.

7. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I like Planar Sphere the best, just on concept. But the intrigue that goes into getting the thieves guild is probably the most engaging. I always thought it was too bad that there was only one little quest attached to that stronghold, though. I mean, running a guild is neat and all, but how about some more cloak-and-dagger to improve and hold on to your position?

8. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

In the last week or so, with aid from the Ease of Use pack (playing an Inquisitor), I've managed to do (or at least start) the De'Arnise Keep, Thieves Guild and Druidic Grove. I've done the Paladin quests on a previous run-through.

Druidic grove was boring, as a level 10 Paladin it wasn't exactly hard to pummel the druids, all you need is to get a hit in. De'Arnise keep is yet to materialise into anything interesting, though I'm hoping for a big fight in the near future. Thieves guild felt awkward to make decisions on asasinating and beating up people when I'm supposed to be a Good Character. The Paladin quests are little more than small side-quests and didn't get me too interested.

So far, probably the thieves guild.

9. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Druid grove has, like, three quests. They are all lame, too. I liked the paladin stronghold, and fighters, since they kept it going and i gained a bit out of it. Cleric is quite good too. I liked thieves but not enough quests to keep it going, besides there is an easy way not to have to pay the quotamaster...Bard really keeps you on your toes, makes you feel wanted. Ranger is alright too. Anything ive missed?

10. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I thought the Cleric stronghold was the lamest ever. All you do is answer freakin' question! There's not even a decent fight.

11. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The appeal for cleric is those moral choices. Of course, if you worship Talos you get it right every time, easy, but otherwise i found it interesting.

And i wouldnt say any of the other strongholds have a great fight either. Firkraag doesnt count since everyone trashes him anyway, stronghold or no.

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Thief Stronghold. I like that one the best, and if you had to pick a second choice, the Bard stronghold was pretty good too.

@Topic Creator: This would've been cool as a poll. :D

13. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I often play a fighter, or Kensai actually, so I get the Keep as my stronghold. The problem is that I've never had the patience to finish the quests. They come so far apart that I've finished everything there is do do in the game before I get to the end of those quests, and somehow I've never been able to convince myself to spend a couple weeks drinking in the Copper Coronet just to be able to finish them ;)

14. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I am playing as an assassin. My question:

If I side with Bodi will I lose the thief stronghold?

15. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I don't think thieves can side with Bhodi, though I could be wrong.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If I'm playing an mc ranger/cleric i get the ranger stronghold, right? where do i access it? never played a ranger in bg2 til now..

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Do the main Umar Hills quest. At the end you will be awarded the ranger stronghold.

18. Shrikant

In the unmodded game thieves cant side with Bodhi. The Valen mod and others have removed this limitation. I dont think you will lose the thief stronghold.

An MC Ranger/Cleric can get either of the two strongholds.
    Rangers become gaurdians of Umar Hills.
    Its a far better stronghold compared to the crap that Clerics get for sure. Make sure you do this quest before Unseeing Eye.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

okay, thanks. good thing you told me. i was about to do the unseeing eye :eek: I really wouldn't wanna go through all that crap again :/

20. Shrikant

You dont have to NOT do the Unseeing Eye quest. You can always refuse the Cleric stronghold in favour of the Ranger one.
    But the sooner I get my hands on Cerebus (sp?) the better.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.