1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stupid CD-ROM Drive!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Frog, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Curious if any of you can help me with my problem.

Once apon a time I would put a CD into my generic CD-ROM 56x drive and it would spin fast and stuff would happen.

As of yesterday the thing won't read anything. It starts to spin then aborts(sounds something like a roaring car engine) and restarts the process about three times over and then gives up. The LED turns off. Nothing happens. During the whole abort/restart phase I'm treated to a flashing busy icon on the screen.

Afterwards I click on the drive from My Computer and it says: "Please insert a disk into drive E:" acting like theres nothin' there when there is.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Alex Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Try updating its firmware.

[Edit]
    Does it make a soft thumping or clicking noise after it's aborted spin? I've been having about the same problem with my Creative DXR3 Drive, but only when using CD-Rs.

[ August 15, 2002, 04:32: Message edited by: Alex ]

3. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

No it just stops spinning then starts again. After a few tries it dies. It was working fine before. Don't know wtf happened. I tried uninstalling the drives and reinstalling them. Didn't do jack.

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Actually, I had this happen with my old computer. My best suggestion: Get a new CD-drive, that or try cleaning your laser. I know a few things that cause the problem, none of which are cheap or easy to fix.

5. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I had the same problem with my cd-drive, but it had the problem only with self-created cd's. It had no problem with original cd's. I still don't know what was wrong with that thing.

And you might wonder if the problem wasn't the CD's? Well, I tried them with a few other cd-drives and they worked perfect.

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Frogger:

I supported my local tax base a while back, and bought a dvdrom drive. I believe the brand name was "Korea", but i'm not sure; that's about the only thing that came up in the bios and windowz dm.

It did the same thing. And was *very* hot after spinning a cd/dvd for only a brief minute. I used their own 'tweak' program to yank it down to 32x, then to 24x. It helped only slightly; crc32's and no-toc's still were common.

Finally just gave up the ghost on it, and ordered a Liteon 16x off the net. For about 2/3 the price. No problems from it, at all.

There's a good chance it's shoddy equipment. Taiwan doesn't test out their memory modules anymore, so why should Korea?

:1eye:

7. Alex Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Not the drivers. The firmware. Think of it as sort of a bios for your cdrom drive. (Or other random device)

Check it's manufacturers website for that.

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    One of the guys I reside with told me last night when I complained about a similar problem that it's because the drive itself is messed up, not the drivers. SO I believe that my next stop is to ribr him to fix it.

Ara
    (Sniffle, pouch... argh!)

9. Oblate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

XP? or a defective CD-ROM. If you have a guarantee change the CD-ROM. If not buy a new one :( . If you have XP change to WIN98SE or Linux.

10. Rizzil Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You can always try cleaning the CD off too before you go out re-installing drivers and ripping your computer apart :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.