1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stupid White Men

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by joacqin, Jan 2, 2003.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wasnt sure if I should put this topic here or in the Alley of dangerous alleys but as it is a book I thought it might be appropriate to put it here.

Everyone should read this book, especially those people that lives in the US and dont give a rats ass about politics and dont show up when it is time to cast the vote but all others should read it as well. Micheal Moore seems to be a proffesional dissident and even though he misses the target now and then (especially when it comes to international politics) he has a keen grasp of the world and especially the state of the USofA. He may be a populist and a demagogue but he managed to shock me on a few occasions. The first chapter in the book that were about the 2000 presidential election is a must read for *everyone*. Even if you are a republican it is stated black on white there with the facts to back it up that the election was more or less rigged and that the choice and will of the people isnt really all that important in US politics anymore.
    It is both an extremely funny book and a horrifying tale about a reality that is surpressed by the corporate rulers of the worlds mighiest nation. So everyone read Moore taking a swing at men, whites, republicans, democrats, koreans and many many more.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hehe, not that I can argue with you since I haven't read the book, but I find it funny that someone from Sweden can state that the author has an especially keen grasp of the state of the US... :)

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I say that because he says the things I suspected. ;) Dont you know that you always think that the people with the same views as yourself are brilliant?
    But he do have the facts to back up all of his claims. I would also like to add that I think that a politically interested foreigner has a better grasp of US politics than a politically uninterested american has. :)

4. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The book is great! The first two chapters are purely devoted to making fun of George W. Bush

5. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Problem with the facts is that they have many sides which ultimately can change the fact to the complete opposite of what it originally was. A "fact" about something usually contains so much information about this and that that there's no way you can get all that information through to an individual. Fact as a concept even is unreal, because especially in politics it's always affected by opinions and emotions and cultural background. There is no -one- fact.

The greatest problem, however, is to find the real facts in the claimed facts. Sure, that book may have some really convincing information, but did you actually bother to check all of it so well that you can claim to know more than the author of the book's content? Before you do that, there's no way of telling wether any of the facts in it are true or not.

I can understand and accept that people have to make opinions based on shallow facts and pieces of information because in the modern world there's no other way. But I'd encourage everyone to remember the FACT that nothing, and I do mean nothing in this world is ever told exactly as it really is. And most of the stuff really is told quite differently from the way it is. To be sure of nothing is a curse, perhaps a problem more than wisdom. But that's how I've lived my days for the last 6 or so years.

[ January 04, 2003, 16:47: Message edited by: Forashi ]

6. joacqin

Media:
    Forashi I am well aware of the treacherous nature of facts and as you say they can easily be distorted or only shown partly. But in that book I have gotten more facts than I have seen before, and as the people that the writer of this book bashes alot like to point out a gazillion of 'facts' to support their side of the story it was refreshing to see a person that was able to counter them with facts of his own. Facts than in my eyes are alot more valuable than what his opponents dig up, but here is where the core is, that is my opinion. Nothing can change that and that is what everything is about, no matter how many facts you have to back up your claims, it all comes down to individuals opinions.

7. Smaug Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ah, but didn't the fact giver of the fact phonies influence your opinion with his facts? Anyways, you are right that American politics is stupid and fake. It's just a bunch of yuppies wanting some recognition from their country club friends. You should watch the commercials here when the local elections roll around! People are trashing each other with the most ludicrous of claims.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.