1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Suck this

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Shralp, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

[​IMG] Anyone get into vampire novels?

I've been reading Anne Rice's The Vampire Armand 'cause I found it on sale. I didn't care for the first book in her series, Interview with a Vampire, and in fact didn't finish it. This one is better and makes me a bit curious about the intervening ones, The Vampire Lestat and Memnoch the Devil.

I also just finished Vampire Nation, which is about vampires in communist Romania. It wasn't as well written, but the pages flew by.

Of course, I've also read Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Any recommendations for other vampire novels? I'd like to see some with new ideas for what vampires are, what they're vulnerable too, etc. I'm tired of "the first vampire was Cain, old vampires are stronger than new ones, crucifixes don't work, blah, blah, blah."

2. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Schralp
    The Vampire Lestat is much better.Memnoch the devil is pretty good to but I like Tale of the Body Thief from that same series.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    try Vampires of the Mists. It's set in Ravenloft, so it's not quite Shakespeare, but it's still pretty good.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, Christopher Pike's 'The Last Vampire' series is pretty good.

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Did anyone read "I, Strahd"? The biography of the original bad man of Ravenloft? If so, was it any good? Worth hunting for?

6. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Hmmm. Didn't know about that one, Dorion. In what order does it fall?

I got a kick out of Ravenloft, but I never played a game in that world.

What's the story with Pike's book? Anything noteworthy about 'em?

7. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31

Schralp
    I believe they go Interview with the Vampire,The Vampire Lestat,Queen of the Dammed,Tale of the Body Thief,and not sure if Menoch the Devil comes next or The Vampire Armand.
    All the books are better than Interview but I find The Vampire Lestat and Tale of The Body Theif to be my two favorites.
    I never read PIkes book but will look for it next time I hit the book store.

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

You can't miss Salem's Lot by Stephen King!

Wasn't the movie "From Dusk to Dawn" based on a book by Doystoyeski? ;)

BTW ... This has to be my favorite thread name in all of SP history!

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Mathetais - I think Doestoyevsky wrote "Reform School Girls!" :p :eek:

10. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I know it's already been said, but it bears repeating; The Vampire Lestat is FAR superior to Interview With the Vampire, and Queen of the Damned is right behind it. I don't have anything else really pertinent to say, but I adored that book, so I had to say it.

11. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Continuing with Anne Rice. I believe these books fall under the vampire serie:

Interview with the vampire
    The Vampire Lestat
    The Queen of the Damned
    The tale of the body thief
    Memnoch the devil
    The vampire Armand
    Vittorio the vampire
    Merrick
    Blood and gold
    Pandora
    Blackwood farm

You might also want to consider the Mayfair witch serie. And of course some separate books like 'The mummy' or 'Servant of the bones'.
    (To say nothing of the Sleeping Beauty trilogy, but that is totally off topic ;) )

Brian Lumley has written a lot of vampire books, tried any of them?

[ November 02, 2002, 00:44: Message edited by: Zorac ]

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Last Vampire, A realy quick, realy bad rundown on the plot. 5000 year old vampire living in America somewhere discovers that her apparently dead mentor/creater (sort of) is trying to kill her because of some vow he made to Krishna. This guy is the original vampire and got his **** kicked by the afore mentioned Krishna some 4800 years ago and he was forced to make a vow to kill what he created. There are 6 books in the series and though its not realy Pikes best work its still pretty good.

13. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I've read Christopher Pike's vampire series...yuck. You would have thought a being that was a few thousand years old would have more maturity than a hormone charged teenager.

Oh man, was that a bad series.

I like the concept of vampires as portrayed by White Wolf's Vampire the Masquerade P&P. Gothic punk is sooo cool for undead beings slugging it out in the streets of the modern city.

Anne Rice does do good vampire novels. Her books make for an interesting read, if nothing else.

My personal favorite, however, has to be Nancy A. Collins's Sonja Blue series. Violence, blood and sex in a world of psychotic bloodsuckers. I prefer this much more to the namby pamby, arty farty vampires of Anne Rice's books.

14. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31

I'm really disappointed in myself for not remembering what it was called. But I read a book that was the Snow White story twisted into an occult vampyre reign of terror instead of a jealous step-mother's revenge. It was really sweet and I can't believ I don't remember the title.

I go to kick myself in the head for my stupidity now.

15. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Not precisely a book, but... If you're really into vampires, there's a PNP game where you choose a clan, and get vampiric powers and drink blood and the like. It's divided into two different games, Vampire: The Dark Ages, and Vampire: The Masquerade. TDA takes place in the medieval ages, with vampire lords, monsters with hard to pronounce names (like Szlachta, pronounced shh-lock-ta) and swords and spells and stuff. Masquerade is in the modern ages, with goths, punks, zombie alligators in the sewers of NY, guns, and more spells. They made a computer version. Vampire: the Masquerade - Redemption.

16. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Yeah, I've actually read the Vampire: Masquerade players HB, but never played a game. I also liked the Fox series based on the game, but it got the axe. Not enough bloodsucking fans, I reckon.

17. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I never realized there was a fox series. Interesting. I shall have to check it out. Maybe I can find old episodes on Ebay or something.

18. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    One of my favorite books (vampire or otherwise)was "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson. I think someone's making a movie out of it, but I remember staying up until the wee hours of the dawn to finish it the night I started it. It was spellbinding. Basically, there's one man left on earth, everyone else is a vampire. I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.