1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Suggestion...

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Barmy Army, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Tal,
    Why not create a new forum called, Jokes or something, or from now on say that all jokes should be posted in, The Playground.
    The jokes don't get much feedback, or individuality or anything like that if they all go in the same thread.

Just an idea.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The idea is that one doesn't need a whole thread to relay and get comments and laughs for a single joke.

I would contend you don't even need a separate thread, but that the most appropriate place for random jokes is in the Random Babbling thread.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    BTA pretty much said it all. However, if you take your jokes so seriously, you have my blessing to open a "Barmy Army's Jokes Thread" in Whatnots and keep your jokes separate from the rest. Provided you actually intend to make your jokes a recurring feature that would warrant having a separate thread for yourself, that is. Most people posting jokes lately did it on a hit-and-run basis which was starting to get mildly ridiculous. Especially since most of the jokes weren't really that good, or new to begin with.

[ December 03, 2004, 13:14: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hey, if Barmy Army gets his own thread, then I want one too. I'll call it "Splunge's Pearls of Wisdom".

The first entry will be "Don't start 'Pearl of Wisdom' threads, especially if you have no pearls to share".

I don't anticipate a second entry.

:D

5. Barmy Army

Media:
    lol :D

I think you got the wrong end of the stick chaps.
    All I mean is, how many times have you seen a joke in that Jokes thread, that has actually got replies? If nobody gets a reply to a joke, then whats the point in posting it in the first place, really? I would say, let everyone post their jokes separately.
    Now I realised that this would clutter up General Chat quite a lot, so I thought it would be better for them to go in say, Playground, which isn't very active anyway really. Or, if you think that woulc clutter up Playground, then just create a new forum, although I think that would be unnecessary. But lets face it, it would probably get more posts and activity than some of the other forums on these boards.

I just think it's a bit pointless, them all going in the same thread. That's all :thumb: .

I'll leave it with you ;) .

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually, it occured to me a while after I posted that if I let you open separate threads, I'm going to get complaints from others who would want them too, so ignore my previous outburst of generosity. Splunge illustrated my point nicely.

I realize that people don't reply as much to jokes as they did previously when each joke was in a separate thread, but then, jokes are really not something people need to comment on much. You laugh, or not, and that's that. Hardly needs a response with "Ha ha!" or "Good one!" every time you post one. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Most people posting in Random Babbling don't get replies to their babbling, but still post there. Might as well ask what's the point of posting there, too. I'm sure people still READ the jokes, they just don't reply. Once we finally switch to a different board, which will show how many times a topic has been viewed, this will be more apparent.

And no, joke threads have no place whatsoever in Playground. Every forum has a specific purpose noted in its description text, and the only place where jokes fit is into Whatnots. The fact that one forum is more active than another does not mean that you should now start posting threads belonging to other forums there.

And considering all mods are in agreement that even separate threads on jokes are a waste of space and resources, opening a separate forum for jokes is a completely unrealistic expectation.

I understand the point you're trying to get across, but jot our stance on this down to differences of opinion between you and the board adminstration.

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    Fair enough, was worth a try. Thanks for your time anyway.

Off topic, but out of curiosity, when will SP be moving to a different boards? I've thought for a bit that the boards don't seem to have many options etc. when compared to some other boards I visit. Invision in particular, seem full of customization options, and give a lot more info.

This one for example: http://www.thefootballforum.net/forums/

8. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Why do you need replies to jokes anyway? Is it some desperate need for attention? Not meaning to seem rude Barmy, but lets face it. The desire for replies is a bit of a cry for attention. Also, most dont reply because they have a) seen the joke before which can also lead to b) The joke just isnt funny.

At a comedy night once there was this guy who was so bad... the room was totally silent. Nobody even heckled he was THAT bad.

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    Who the hell do you think you're talking to? Cheeky little barsteward. Did you even read the thing properly?

I wasn't talking about me, in particular. In fact, I wasn't talking about me at all. Very presumptuous of you now, wasn't it?

Perhaps you might want to have a look at that forum I linked to. It has a section, for jokes and games etc. I thought that, that might be a good idea for this forum. The replies issue, was purely an example of the pointlessness of having one thread alone, for everybodies jokes. You can't distinguish one from another.

This has nothing to do with attention seeking one iota. It was a suggestion to improve the boards. I suggest next time you want to have a dig at me put it on pm, or keep your opinions to yourself. Especially on matters that don't concern you. This was a conversation between me and the board admin. There was no need to throw your 2 pence in. PLUS, the matter had just been sorted and put to bed and the thread had veered somewhere else.

10. Takara

Media:
    I was referring to those who desire/need replies to their jokes. Also, if it was a conversation between you and the admins, why didnt you keep it to PM? Or are we back to the attention thing? you want people to see what you say?

Also, any matter that is raised in a public thread, and is concerned with changing/adding to the format of the forums, then it is a matter that can concern all forum members.

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    You were referring to me. That was obvious from the way you wrote it. Use of the word 'you' is always a bit of a give away.

Because I was talking to all admins. I titled it for Tal, because he is the 'head honcho' so to speak.

What's all this about attention seeking you have in your head? I think you have some issues. You are really wierd sometimes, I just can't figure you out.

Why is it?
    I just can't figure out why you felt you needed to stick your nose into something that wasn't meant for you. Did you notice that nobody else replied in the same manner?

Anyroad, I have better things to do anyway than tit for tat with you. What's the point? Just keep your opinions to yourself, on things that don't concern you, in the future.

12. Takara

Media:
    Well... Gnomes do have large noses. They tend to stick into most things. Given my support for SP, and continued presence, I felt that my opinion was entirely valid here.

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    OK you two bozos, take it outside :lol:

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    Awww, I can't do that to him! :hippy:

[ December 03, 2004, 18:52: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

15. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I think we should make an argumentative person of the week plaque and give it to Takara. :wave:

16. Taluntain

Media:
    Barmy, I'm waiting for Infopop to come up with the next generation board which will replace UBB (should be out in a few months), and if it's decent, we'll probably switch to that, as we wouldn't lose anything when importing. If it turns out not to my liking for some reason, we'll go with vB.

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    Ah right, nice one. Thanks mate.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.