1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sword and Shield NPCs

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Dredbolt, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Dredbolt Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I'm not done with my current game, but I'm already planning for my next game, and I'm thinking about recruiting an NPC to wield a long sword and shield at the front of my party. So who is best qualified for this role? Valgyar? Minsc? Keldorn? Mazzy? I know these fighters have been assessed on these boards before, but I am interested promarily in their qualifications as a sword-and-shield guy.

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Mazzywouls easily qualify as would Valygar though Keldorn and Minsc are more suited to two-handed swords

3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Since rangers get two free proficiencies in Two Weapon Style it's kind of a shame to have them using a shield, so that excludes Valygar and Minsc.
    If you have only one Paladin in your party (as it should be IMHO) Carsomyr is the undisputed choice of weapon so that removes Keldorn.

That leaves Mazzy as the obvious choice, but of course you'd have to make that Short Sword and Shield, not Long Sword.

4. Turandil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I use Mazzy as an archer, why not use Korgan or Viconia, with axe and shield or in viconias case, mace/hammer/flail and shield. But i would suggest Anomen wearing shield and mace.

5. aldekeuk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Korgan is a tank with tons of HP and can be a one-man wrecking crew if he's dual wielding axes with grand mastery...

6. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Mazzy would be a waste. She is the best archer available. Korgan, Anomen, or even Jaheira would be good choices.

7. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] That's my opinion:
    • Mazzy: keep her as an archer. With GrandMastery in shortbow and Gesen's bow it's very lethal
    • Valygar: dual-wielding his family katana and Celestial Fury (or CF and Belm)
    • Minsc: Give him the Vorpal Sword and he will kick some evil butt ;)
    • Keldorn: Carsormyr (obvious choice)
    • Anomen: Crom Fayer with a shield
    • Jaheira:Rashad's Talon and a shield
    • Viconia:Flail of the Ages and shield
    • Korgan: dualwielding the cold and the fire axe with Grandmastery in axes (very lethal)

As you see there are at least 3 NPC's that shield goes them nice. However, noone is well suited for longswords, but I think the weapons I gave them make them enough powerful.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  8. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I will dispute that Carsomyr is the weapon of choice for a paladin. I am playing an Inquistor now and frankly, I prefer sword and shield style and wielding two weapons. Specializing in long swords and bastard swords was fun...although it sure seems a long time before a good bastard sword comes along.
    /em ...remembers using the starter dungeon cambion's bastard sword a very long time.

9. Xuncle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I like to use Minsc as an Archer (so much for his two-weapon style).

Something no-one has mentioned is use using Jahera with a scimitar and shield.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.