1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sword Of Truth

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Tonic, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Tonic Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hey I was just wondering wat you guys think about the Sword of truth series and wat u guys thought of the last book: The pillars of creation

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Goodkind has some fascinating ideas, but he switches from the ridiculous to the sublime so quickly, and without a logical transition, that it impacts the overall effect of his novels. His fierce American patriotism and right-wing views are fun for a while, but it gets tiring very quickly, even for an old right winger llke myself. I have yet to read Pillars, but I'll get around to it someday.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow, another has seen Goodkinds extreme right wing views and been annoyed by them! Not to mention someone that is to the right himself. Makes me feel good. :) Especially since Goodkind is so crude and obvious that it is only annoying for anyone with half a brain. I am also annoyed by his lack of coherence and unity. There is no general story. I am also annoyed by his extreme theft of ALOT of Jordan ideas, I know that people steal alot in the fantasy genre but there need to be some limits. Goodkind hasnt come up with many original ideas himself.

I have read most of his work though and he is reasonable entertaining.

4. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yes, the blatant plaigarism is disturbing. So are his utterly uneeded sex/rape scenes... :rolleyes:

The Sword of Truth Novels aren't very good in my opinion, getting a 3 out of 10 upon a scale in which the Dark Elf Trilogy gets a 5.5.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    For reasons known only to my cerebellum (it hasn't let on to the rest of my brain yet), I am slogging through the Pillars of Creation. I can only stomach about a chapter a night and then must put it down.

p.s. I can't remember where I said this before, but my comment on the last book was that Ayn Rand did it a heck of a lot better and Terry should just stick to the fantasy and leave the social engineering and commentary out of it.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Both guys work for TOR (Jordan and Goodkind) and I wonder if they didn't have a discussion at lunch during a conference or something and both walked away with the same set of ideas. I toyed for a while with the idea that they are both the same person, trying different tacks on the same general theme (a la Stephen King and the Bachman books), but that doesn't seem very likely. I prefer Jordan. Someone needs to tell both Goodkind and George R.R. Martin that there are less obvious ways to characterize evil than to consistently and graphically describe rapes. It gets to be a little much.

7. Jarlaxle Gems: 1/31

I liked Wizard's First Rule but beyond that they just got way too wordy. Also it seemed to me that there was too much talking and insignificant stuff between the action scenes. i read all the way up to Temple of the Winds and just stopped halfway through.

8. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I read up to Blood of the Fold, or something like that (book 3). After that I stopped. Wizards First Rule was really cool, I liked Zed and Darken Ruhl, which has to be the coolest name I have seen. I didn't mind the second and third story either, but the fact that every book had the catastrophe of world hanging in the balance was kinda blah blah to me. I simply cannot get through another Jordanesk series at the moment.

9. Observer Gems: 1/31

I just think its funny that in both Goodkind and Jordan's latest books the hero doesn't even play a part until around the second last chapter or so.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.