1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tad Williams' Otherland

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Is this 4-book series worth getting? I enjoyed the 2 novels of his that I've read (War of the Flowers, Tailchaser's Song) so I just wanted to ask if anyone here has read it and if it is up to par, or even better than the 2 books I've mentioned.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    They are good but not great. I think they are too drawn out and the series would have been much better if it was perhaps a third shorter.

3. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I agree. And although the series is way too long, Williams still managed to have lots of loose endings flapping around.

There are, on the other hand, quite some moments I enjoyed. If you don't mind the Cyberspace setting I'd nevertheless recommend it - if you like Williams style, that is.

4. Istolil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I tried to read the first book of the series but it just didn't click for me. I'm not one to stop reading a book but 1/4 of the way I couldn't do it anymore. I just found that the story limped and seemed to drag on longer than necessary, but that's just my opinion. I enjoyed his books "To Green Angel Tower" but just couldn't get into Otherland.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

ah, thanks for the feedback guys, i guess i'll hold off on getting this series for the time being. I was thinking about getting the "his dark materials" series by Philip Pullman. It's supposed to be very good if a bit "kiddy", anyone read that already?

6. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Personally I rather liked it, though I agree it was a little drawn out.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Sigh, I bought the series packaged together for really cheap from the science fiction book club but I have not read it yet - it is in my pile of books to read but I keep giving new books a higher priority.

Based upon what has been said here it looks like that isn't going to change anytime soon.

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I enjoyed Otherland quite a bit.

I haven't read Tailchaser's Song or War of the Flowers, so I can't compare for you, but I have read Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, and I would say it's similar in vein.

Tad seems to like to keep the mystery alive all the way to the end, keeping you guessing about what's really going on. It's been a long while since Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, so I don't remember a lot, but I remember being underwhelmed when the mysteries were finally resolved. With Otherland, I actually found the mysteries fascinating once they were revealed.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

ah, but Darkthrone mentioned "cyberspace" is the theme/setting. I actually prefer more of magic and less of science, so would Otherland still fit into the "more of magic" category?

10. Istolil Gems: 5/31

It's kind of techno magic I guess you could call it. While I liked the idea and the concept it didn't click like I said. With anything I always say got to the library and check it out for free. If you like it, awesome buy the others. If you don't, you didn't lose any money. If someone didn't read something based solely on the opinions of others, without trying it first then the world would be pretty dull and stupid. LOL

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

sadly, where i'm from, such libraries are non-existent. also, my set of friends neither read nor play computer games, so you see my problem. I buy books on the basis of a) author's track record b) on a hunch c) following a series

so my question still stand i guess: "To Otherland or not to Otherland"?

12. Istolil Gems: 5/31

Well you can always try the first. Plus I've also seen books online for download in .pdf format. Sure it burns you're eyeballs out of their sockets but it's free. lol

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you want more magic and less science then get the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy ("The Dragonbone Chair", "Stone of Farewell", and "To Green Angel Tower").

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

ok, thanks BTA. just a follow up question, isn't "To Green Angel Tower" 2 books? (part1,part2)? I coulda sworn that I saw a copy of it that had a (part2) on the cover :confused:

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    It is in paperback, but I believe it was one book in hardcover. Apparently it was just too big to put in one book in the paperback format, so they split it into part one and part two (and both are still huge :) ).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.