1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Test your knowledge!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by joacqin, Dec 10, 2002.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And if you feel nasty gloat about people from other countries lame results. ;)
    This test cemented some of my own prejudices which always feel good. :D

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/geosurvey/templates/question_1.html

And for some additional reading: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/geosurvey/highlights.html

To brag alittle I managed to get all correct but the test was hilarously easy, I am even in the correct age category for it.

[ December 10, 2002, 23:27: Message edited by: joacqin ]

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Note that the testage is between 18 and 24

OH MY GOD!!!

Wow, and I always thought the test was held with children of 10 years old :rolleyes:

[ December 10, 2002, 23:45: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Looks like I need to move to another country since I got them all right. I can't believe so few got the question about the westernmost city on that map. How can you not plainly see what is westernmost?

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Christianity does NOT have the largest number of followers.

The Fellowship of the Beer does. :1eye:

And there's a few in there that kids might not pick up on.

El Nino, Kashmir, and the G-Spot.

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    That thing was too easy. I think I only got one wrong, and that's because the map was kind of fuzzy. Maybe I should stop watching the news at night so I can be like the other 85% of Americans who can't find Iraq on a map. :rolleyes: I think that if Americans would just watch the nightly news 1-2 times a week, I think the US bar on the graph would be a lot longer. :rolling:

6. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

well 18 out of 20 ain't that bad i guess. Never heard that the fenoma was called el Nino and guessed wrong at the one billion people question (doubted between india and russia). Odd by the way neither 100 % of the Italians knew where Italy lies nor did the Swedes all know where they live!

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I got El Nino wrong, but I didn't like that question anyway.

I too doubted between China/India and China/Russia, the other half of myself was like "told you so" when I choose incorrectly.

Other than that, I'm straight. (And I'm an American :p ).

8. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I'm dismayed. I never realised Canadians were so dumb. We consistently ranked among the worst and the questions were frightfully simple. I was also surprised to see that none of the identify this country on the map were answered 100% correctly by that country's residents.

9. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, got most of the "knowledge" questions right, the only one I screwed up on was the religion question, should have known better. Anyway, I ran in to trouble when they started pulling out the maps, and it's *not* because I don't know my geography but for other reasons.

10. Big B Gems: 27/31

Yeah those numbers were really small.

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well 20 out of 20 means I've got to move to some place more educated that the old US of A. Then again, I've been bitterly protesting the geographic ignorance of our school age children when I learned that majority of them cannot find half the bloody states of their own country, let alone the major countries on other continents (I shudder to think how many could actually find Canada).

But then again, I'm a dinosaur at the ripe old age of 36 who learned geography in school.

BTW - isn't it telling how many screwed up such hot spots as Israel and Afghanistan on the map part and didn't know about Kashmir. They don't follow the news, either! *shudder*

12. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Israel is the only one I could maybe forgive. The map was so small, I could see a number floating in the Mediterranean but couldn't actually see the country.

13. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

I don't know who made this test or how much integrity National geographics has.

But its bogus. 1/10 americans can't point out america. Yeah right.

Did you notice that the test was made for teens with learning disablilities? ;)

OH MY GOD :p Joacqin

[ December 11, 2002, 04:09: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

14. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

That's some pretty sad statistics. Personally, I think the geography part of the survey was quite lenient already, and to still have so many people get things wrong... I mean, the choices they offered weren't neighbouring countries. Eg: if they make you choose between Israel, Jordon, Syria, Turkey etc.. ok, I can see how you could go wrong there.

Do you think this reflects how conscientious people from different countries are about current events?

[ December 11, 2002, 05:27: Message edited by: Blog ]

15. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

the problem with swedes and the pasific ocean is that many (at least who i know) think that the atlantic is the pasific ocean... just don know what the names are... i gon in 9:th grade here in sweden...

16. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

The quiz was not in English all around the world. :shake:

Or perhaps that is why the Americans, Canadians and the good people of britain did so bad. :1eye:

[ December 11, 2002, 17:19: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have to go with Loki here, I have never been fully able to remember which is which of the pacificic and the atlantic, I had to make myself remember an old song by Evert Taube where he sings about Argentina and then the atlantic to figure out which was which ;) .

The test wasnt made for people with learning problems or such was it? I thought it was made to test the average skills of people between 18-25?

I dont find it strange that no country got 100% on find your country, it is neigh on impossible to get 100% on any statitistics, there are always some bozo that likes to screw up the numbers by consciently answer wrong.
    But when less than 90% can point out the country they live in, and it isnt a small obscure hard to find one on the map you start to wonder. 2-3% is within the mariginal of statistical error but 10+% is way off that.

18. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Well, apart from the numbers for each country was usually beside the country and had an arrow for it i'd say the thing was designed for 5 to 10 year olds. Worryingly Britain did very badly as well. Just as i've said for years, the quality of education here has went downhill, usually due to idiots not wanting to learn.

19. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] It's all about homeschooling, I'm telling ya.

Well, ok, so I did miss a couple. I too got confused on the Russia vs. India question -- and the religion question caught me. With the three largest countries (China, Russia, and India) being predominantly non-Christian, who would have guessed... ah well. Anyone want to try some math tests?

20. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Amazing is all i can say. I underestimated the number of christians in the world, however, that's it. And I disagree: Beeing a swede is no excuse for not knowing where both Atlantic and Pacific are :p The same applies to *small numbers* - hey! - Israel was the only country in the eastern mediterranean that was numbered at all!!! :rolleyes:

In school, didn't you have a book with maps in it, aka atlas, and had a glimpse here and then even when your teacher did not order you to??! :rolleyes: What will happen to europe with europeans like you? Will we end up like those *over there* eventually??! :bang: :evil: :shake:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.