1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The addiction continues....

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Drunken Smurf, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Drunken Smurf Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It has been years since I broke away from the abomination that is Baldur's Gate. Recently, an on-line companion rekindled my dangerous desires to stare at my monitor for days at a time, and to surround myself with overfilled ashtrays and Mountain Dew cans. I reformatted my hard drive, so I lost all of my mods. I am currently in the process of re-downloading these precious programs, and it would be nice to have a few experienced opinions on what I should be on the lookout for. I am planning on playing a chaotic evil mage/cleric. I have never played BG1 with an evil party, but I have heard that Immy will stick with you regardless. So I guess what I am trying to ask is, what is the most logical party of evil characters who do not mind traveling with Viconia, whom I will most certainly pick up for added healing spells? And also, will Immy cause me any problems, or will she be better off replaced with another thief? I would hate to play for days, just to realize that I have to either dump Immy or Edwin, due to thier personal differences. And I remember from previous games that Viconia is an extremely contraversial character. Suggestions, thoughts, ideas, silly comments...?

2. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Evil mage/cleric eh? With Immy and Viccy...hmm.

First of all; you should probably take Kagain as your tank. His 20 CON and Grand Mastery of axes make him a handy-dandy warrior; regardless of how high you are in level when you take him. You could also take Shar-Teel to be your tank; but she's incredibly annoying (Margaret Atwood on steroids, anyone?) and not as tough as Kagain. Plus, she's not a dwarf...so she isn't nearly as cool as he is. Of course, you could take both of them and have them fight in tandem. That'd certainly make for a devastating fighting team.

Next; you might like to keep Montaron rather than Immy to be your thief. IIRC, he's just as good at thieving as she is (maybe better...thanks to his racial bonuses) and he can actually hold his own in combat. If not Monty, you might want to consider Safana. She's chaotic neutral, so unless you play the game extremely evilly there's no chance she'll run away (like Immy might...I think).

You might also want to take a pure-mage for their spellcasting ability. If you're playing evil; then you could choose between Xzar and Edwin. They're both a lot of fun, but they can also both be very annoying. And for spellcasting; Edwin's a better mage (higher INT and his amulet).

If you're willing to wait a while, you might also like to consider Eldoth (evil Bard) or Tiax (evil cleric/thief). Eldoth's ok, as far as bards go. But Tiax exists solely for the fun of having an insance gnome bent on world domination in your party; since he completely sucks. His stats are abysmal, his special ability (summon ghoul) is stupid and his voice is really annoying after a while.

Of course...you could also just pick any combination of these npc's (as well as any others that I may have forgotten to mention) to suit your needs/desires.

I should probably warn you though; that since the majority of the quests/side-quests in this game are geard towards helping others, roleplaying evil can be a tad sketchy. Although...going on a killing spree and wiping out, say, Gullykin might be kinda fun... :p

EDIT: PS- Welcome to the Boards!! :wave:

3. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Talking about mods, check the first thread in this forum. It's the comprehensive mod list for Baldur's Gate I and has pretty much everything you need.

You've got to take Edwin along with you, he will be your best evil mage and your comic relief in the game.

4. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Tiax isn't an especially useful character but he *is* funny so if you're looking for some light relief you could try him. And Alora's voice acting is inspired.

Unfortunately by the time you encounter either of these you'll have pretty much filled your party and probably be reluctant to boot out a favoured member for them.

5. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Evil is great fun!

Most good characters will stay with you as long as your reputation stays above 5 or 6.

Some of the best characters in the game are evil/neutral.

Fighters/Tanks
    Kagain - Fighter (LE) - Best tank in game
    Sharteel - Fighter (CE) - Okay fighter (can be dual-classed to f/t)
    Jaheira - Fighter/Druid (TN) - Great tank

Thiefs
    Imoen - Thief (NG) - best in game
    Safana - Thief (CN) - good thief
    Skie - Thief (TN) - average thief
    Montaron - Fighter/Thief (NE) - Good fighter and thief
    Tiax - Cleric/Thief (??) - very average (great personality)
    Sharteel (dual-classed)

Priests
    Faldorn - Druid (TN) - Good druid and special ability is handy
    Jaheira - Fighter/Druid (TN) - Great tank
    Tiax - Cleric/Thief (??) - very average (great personality)
    Viconia - Cleric (NE) - best cleric in game

Mages
    Edwin - Mage (LE) - Best mage in game
    Xzar - Necromancer (CE) - Good mage (great personality)

Other
    Garrick - Bard (CN) - Backup mage/archer
    Eldoth - Bard (NE)

Some actual suggestions for a party would be ....

Good all round party
    PC - C/M
    Tank - Kagain
    Tank - Jaheira
    Thief - Imoen
    Mage - Edwin or Garrick
    Other - Garrick or Viconia

More combat oriented
    PC - C/M
    Tank - Kagain
    Tank - Sharteel
    Thief - Montaron or Imoen
    Mage - Xzar or Imoen
    Priest - Viconia or Faldorn

Just some ideas. Hope they help.

I played an evil M/T game (the most enjoyable game yet) and my party was...

PC - M/T
    Tank - Kagain
    Tank - Sharteel
    Priest - Faldorn
    Priest - Viconia
    Other - Garrick

6. Youko Bazuttu Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

ive played a few mods, i tired the drizzt char works geat and u get tons of fun outta it. but of course everyone loves drizzt

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    If you really want to go all evil, there isn't much of a decision here.

As a C/M, I would highly recommend taking both Kagain and Shar-Teel. They compliment each other nicely. Kaigan has tons of hit points, but Shar-Teel has a better AC.

Viconia is a no brainer for your cleric.

I would definitely pick Montoron, and have your mage be either Xzar or Edwin. Edwin is probably the more powerful of the two, but keep in mind that Edwin can't cast identify, so you may have to spend quite a bit to ID items. Also to get rid of Xzar, you're going to have to kill him, as Montoron leaves too if you kick Xzar out.

So your party would be

PC C/M
    Kaigan
    Shar-Teel
    Viconia
    Montoron
    Xzar/Edwin

8. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

You don't have to kill Xzar. Just dump him in a building you don't plan on ever frequenting again.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.