1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Allure of MAgic

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Marck, Feb 8, 2001.

1. Marck Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I have only recently found this site ~ which I am very impressed with since everyone seems really friendly and I haven't seen many 'cheats' posted !

Well, I've done a very brave or foolish thing and thought I'd let you know . . . having played BG II for many many many hours and advanced nicely to a lvl 12 Ranger who was heroic, stoic and damn tough - equipped with the right shield he got tdown to a pretty impressive -8 AC (is that pretty good?)! I've abandoned him for a dweeebie mage who I've started the game again with !!

It was no good - being in the company of so many (obviously) powerful Adepts, Wizards and the like, the appeal of doing it all over with a mage (conjurer) was too big.

Wish me luck - "Blue" is going to need it!

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    If you like to play a mage and still like to enjyo a good AC, why not play a dc/ mc fighter mage? With eleven-chain, good shield and helm he would have an impressive AC + while beeing able to defend himself in melee.
    Thieves and mages are probably most interesting to play, so do´t be afraid of the low AC, they have other strengths :)

3. Silroth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

:) Mages are good enough as they are :) !!!
    They can use purely magical armor, shields 6 weapons, if need be.
    But the brave mage doesn't need that, as he will allow his enemies to approach him only in little charcoaled pieces :D .
    Nonehteless dualling from a fighter (preferredly Kensai (at lvl9), as they can't wear armor anyway) of thief will make the spellweaver more flexible, if at the price of purity.

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Eeeewww! Dirty, unpure mages!

If you're gonna play 'em, take the good with the bad - Suffer through the relatively weak stages until you are powerful enough to strike terror into any puny fighter! :D

If you want toe to toe melee protection, look for the Mordenkainen/Tenser spells - they were the closest thing to melee mages that I've ever seen - Tenser's trnasformation, Mord's sword, etc...

5. Ragusa

Media:
    Oh, you switched over to play a paladinlike melee-prone wizard-slayer now? :D

6. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    LOL! No...Still stuffy, arrogant, and overbearing, condescending, etc...Wearing full plate will do that to a guy :p

But, I played a mage in PnP that enjoyed mixing it up occasionally, so I used to use all those cool melee spells, and tried to make some of my own. Plus, in our campaign, mages could be proficient in swords (ala Gandalf)- but that would be the only proficiency they could have if they chose it. No staves, daggers, slings, etc...

7. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] That´s why I liked to play the dc fighter-mage... I read Lord of the Ring approx 8 times and I liked that mage Ingold in B. Hambly´s Time-of-the-dark series just as much, so my choice always was: LONGSWORDS for wizards :)
    However, In p&p I alway prefered to play thieves to mages...

8. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Never played a thief in PnP...But since playing Imoen as a thief in bg, and Yoshimo et al in BG2 - I definitely see the appeal.

All the sneaking, pinching, backstabbing, hiding in shadows...Wait a minute! It's a lot like being at work! :D

9. Mage_0 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Where do you think the spec for the thief comes from. Just goto any commercial enviroment and there it is.

One thing I can say is I'd like to be able to put a flame arrow into some people at my work.

10. Ragusa

Media:
    How cruel, I´d be totally happy if I could turn people into a squirrel :D

11. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] That reminds me...has anyone ever got polymorph other to work? I tried casting that stupid spell so many times and it never worked. My game hates me.
    Critical misses, failed saving throws,
    wuss-villains that crit again and again,
    getting backstabbed AND critted, getting killed by missile attacks with a -17 AC versus missiles.

AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

One day I shall rule! AhahaHAHAHAHAHA!
    ( And then I shall assure that bridges will not ride up so wedge-like)

12. Lo Guest

I used polymorph other in the Circus fight, and did turn that nasty gnome into a lovely squirel. Enemies who are at a much higher level than u, would have very high saving throws relative to u. Polymorph some trolls instead :)
    In case u r wondering, if u kill the squirrel the body changes into its original form, so u can still get all the items... The only dilemma is, what if u like squirrels and never dreamt of killing one?

13. Ragusa

Media:
    Magic works like like David Eddings says: It´s just Word & Will. Did you really want to cast that spell ? ;)

14. Ragusa

Media:
    I´m messy: I adressed this to Divine, typing to hasty. Possibly I´d really try to play the old senile wizard Rasalgethi spoke of... :rolleyes: tss, tss, tss

However, Lo: If you polymorph a troll to a squirrel - do you still need fire or acid to destroy him?

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Since polymorph morphs a creature to the squirrel form in this case, you only need any weapon that can kill a squirrel. Plenty of those around. ;)
    At least I think it should work that way. I haven't used this spells since BG1.

16. Lo Guest

To be honest I haven't tried it on a trolls myself, it was something that came to mind while writing the post... It's definetely one of the spells I didn't use all that much, prolly should start polymorphing anything that moves and report u the results ;)
    Btw, what's your favorite level 4 spell? I used improved invisibility quite a bit, and to my surprise emotion is actually a pretty good spell, being a ranged spell that doesn't do any damage to your party.. Just laugh at your enemies laughing in despair :)

17. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

How bout 'Lower Resistance'?
    You need it for practically every late game encounter.
    Improved Invisibility's nice. Cast it on a tank or a backstabber for further protection.

18. Silroth Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Divine: polymorph other is THE spell for low level mages against tough fighters. It's mostly a waste against any of the real baddies but whenever you meet mixed party, you can deproblematise the lowly meleeing part and concentrate on the true enemies (mages) :D.

19. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] You wanted to say thieves (hidden in shadows, hasted, under Improved invisibility, backstabbing)?

20. Silroth Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Admittedly, they are a pain in the lower back, but not real enemy.
    As a robe wearer, I squish them beneath my high-heeled bootlets :D .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.