1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Ashes Thread

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    For those interested, I think it's high time we started this thread.
    That's right, THE date on the cricket calender is upon ladies and gents.

I think the best way to start it would be a nice little predictions table.

So, here goes...

Top England Scorer:

Top Aussie Scorer:

Top England Wicket Taker:

Top Aussies Wicket Taker:

Player Of The Series:

Here would be mine :) .

Top England Scorer: Ian Bell

Top Aussie Scorer: Ricky Ponting

Top England Wicket Taker: Steve Harmison

Top Aussies Wicket Taker: Shane Warne

Player Of The Series: Ian Bell

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    *insert obligatory Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy joke here*

:p

3. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

KP out for a duck first innings at Lord's. White tufts do not maketh the man. :) Still, unless the Aussies have Jason Gillespie preparing the sandwiches I think it'll be England's summer.

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    It depends when he goes in mate. If he goes in at like 50/3 or something silly, and Brett Lee and McGrath are swinging the ball about at pace, I can't see him hanging around for long. If he comes in later on in the innings, when the ball is soft and the field spread, I think he might post a score. It all depends on how he handles Warney though, that'll be in intruiging battle.

I reckon Ian Bell will be a sensation though. He's such a pain in the arse to get out, and manages to get a nice points total while he's at it. He's far more technically sound than KP. In a few years he'll be one of the best batsmen in test cricket, you mark Barmy Army's words.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Definitely

Top England Scorer: Andrew Flintoff

Top Aussie Scorer: Justin Langer

Top England Wicket Taker: Matthew Hoggard

Top Aussies Wicket Taker: Glenn McGrath

Player Of The Series: Glenn McGrath

Arguably, he already is 'one' of them.

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Who? Ian Bell? This will be his 4th test match mate. You talking about someone else?

How do you reckon the series is going to pan out then Harbs ma boy?

I'm gonna go for...

1st Test Lords - Australia always do well here and this will be no exception. Aussies to win in 4 days.

2nd Test Edgbaston - England fight back and clinch victory on a dramatic 5th day.

3rd Test Old Trafford - Draw in a rain affected game.

4th test- Trent bridge - Englands fast bowlers have a blinder, victory is clinched early on day 4.

5th Test Oval - Despite being peppered on the last day England fight out a draw.

England 2 Australia 1 The Ashes come home!!

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I was making fun of your vague 'one of the best' statement that is a favourite of commentators. How many are included in 'the best'? One of the best 3, the best 10, the best 100? He's definitely one of the best 5000 current batsmen in the world.

I'm picking a 2-0 victory to Australia, with England being denied a win in the one test they dominate after the last day is washed out.

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Canada's gonna kick all your arses. :p

9. Harbourboy

Actually, Splunge, Canada had a bit of a star player at the last cricket World Cup in the form of John Davidson who has been playing well ever since.

This from Cricinfo.com:

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    I've been at work so missed the match. I'll comment more when I've seen the replay thingy at 8pm.
    Watching the scores on my phone though, I was extremely pleased to see we bowled Aussie out for 190. What a performance from Harmy. Some fantastic bowling.
    I was then on the verge of tears to see us go down 25-5 or whatever stupid score it was. Either woeful batting, or McGrath showing those inhuman qualities again. I hear it's the latter, but I'll reserve judgement till I've seen the game.

Summed up: Disappointed.

11. Harbourboy

I got up at 4am this morning to watch some of the game. McGrath was OUTSTANDING. That guy is an absolute machine. Now all you need is for Pietersen to crack a fairy tale 250 on debut and you'll be all set. It's still a better start than having Australia rack up 400+ in the first innings like they usually do and play you out of the game. At least now you're still very much in the match.

At least we're going to get a result in this game (weather permitting).

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Pietersen will destroy the Australian attack no worries. :)

No, seriously, this looks like a good test. Good bowlers on both teams. Are England playing a spinner? Looks like they won't have to!

13. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31

Don't put the pension on it :)

P.S Ashley Giles is England's spin master and a pretty good one too.

14. Harbourboy

What's the point of Ashley Giles?

15. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31

Someone has to wear those awful shades :cool:

Seriously, "wheelie-bins" had a good domestic season last year and bowled well against South Africa as well as picking up a couple of decent late-order runs. So all hail the King of Spain!

16. Harbourboy

Ashley Giles is Spanish?

17. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

LOL.

I think Dan Vettori is a better bowler, and batsman myself... but then again I am biased. :D

18. Harbourboy

Well, Australia look to have the edge at the moment but who can tell.....

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    Well, that's that and the 1st match is a close. 0-1 to Australia.

A slightly flattering win I think for Australia. Obviously, a very good team and only Kev seemed to be able to handle Warne and McGrath. Some terrific bowling from that pair. But, the way I look at it, if we actually claimed those dolly catches, the match would have been a hell of a lot closer. 9/10 times, we'd have had them and Australia would have been out for a lot less so we wouldn't be chasing a pretty much unchaseable total. Also, we had batsmen who did nothing, who would normall post a score. Vaughan, Bell, Flintoff et al, surely won't be going for single figures many more times, they are quality batsmen.
    I've seen nothing here that persuades me that series is going to be a one-sided whitewash. The Aussies are human :D .

That's not a 'We could have / should have / would have...' argument. I just think that the 239 run defeat was more a result of us doing things wrong that we wouldn't usually do wrong, rather than Australia giving us a serious skooling and showing a massive gulf in class.

As for Pietersen (our only batsman of note this test), I'm not sure that his 50 in that innings quite makes up for 3 dropped catches. I mean, when he dropped Clarke on 21, that cost us 70 runs right there as he went on to make 91. Then he dropped Ponting who went on to make 40. Pietersen is a brilliant batsman and I know he can field better than he has done this match, but everyone in England will be sucking his dick, he's a big reason why we were chasing 420.

Magraa has to get MOTM; if he doesn't, there's something wrong. But special mention to our bowlers who I thought were superb. It wasn't their fault that we were **** in the field in the Aussie 2nd innings. Harmison was especially good. 5-43 in the first innings and 3-54 from 28 overs with 6 maidens in the 2nd innings. Great figures.

Well done to the Aussies and well played, bring on the next one :) . Bring it on :D .

20. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31

Agreed, England have been the authors of their own calamity. KP aside England did not bat well enough, bowled poorly at the Australian tail and the catching has been wretched throughout.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.