1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The best NPC combination for banter

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Deathmaster, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

After completing BG2 with TOB too many times while power gaming, i am looking for something more. I love the banter, but was wondering what NPCs would offer the best banter with not only me, but with the rest of the party aswell.

I plan on installing the flirt pack for more romancing, and the banter pack for more...banter. With this in mind aswell who would be the most thrilling romance.

NPCs that come to mind for good banter, would be Jan and Misc for pure comedy value alone, and Viconia and Korgan for their trouble making. But what NPCs go particularly well together, while still having good banter (friendly or arguing) whithout them actually killing eachother.

Thanks

2. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I really like Haer'Dalis - his persona is just so cool. On a romance side, I think that Viconia gives you the best banter.

3. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Try this:

Good or Neutral PC, class should be warrior or thief something.
    Yoshi/Imoen (integral part of the story really)
    Keldorn (He has hilarious banters with Imoen and Cernd in ToB, plus he's powerful :square:
    Cernd (You didn't want to powergame, and he has some good banter)
    Aerie (Romantic interest)
    *insert fighter here* then replace him/her with Sarevok in ToB.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    In no particular order...

Edwin
    Minsc
    Jan
    Cernd
    Haer-Dalis

They probably have the most amusing banters. And if you play some type of front-liner, that party almost works. I know it is recommended not to have Edwin and Minsc in the same party, but I've never had them actually fight each other.

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

In my (albiet limited) experience, Jan and Minsc have some great banter.

I've heard Jan is goon with Anomen too, but this means you've got to put up with Anomen. ;)

I find Nalia boring. :(

Yoshimo is pretty cool too. PLus, if you have TOB installed, he has a really funny "war cry" (something about "The tourists love that").

6. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I liked the Korgan/Mazzy dialogues. In fact, I liked Korgan's dialogues with most people. For a great experience, have Korgan, Mazzy, Edwin, Jan and Viconia. Jan's stories to Korgan are very funny. :D

7. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31

You can read all the banters, someone on the site posted all of them. Imoen and edwin have some good ones in tob. Jan is hilarious with all the npc's. Sarevok is kinda boring and moody so avoid him if you want a laugh. Anomen and Keldorn/Jan banters are funny as hell. Imoen/Edwin is the best though.

8. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Some recommendations... get the banter pack mod, and the flirt pack mod if you're going to romance one of the original Bioware characters. The banter packs also include a banter accelerator that increases the frequency in intra-party banter.

9. Kyrie Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hmm... I can't stand Jan myself, but I hear he's great for banter. I like Haer'Dalis, he makes for good banter. Oh, and Anomen! But that's just because I like Anomen... >.<

I really should get Jan sometime.

10. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31

I will be playing through as a blade, and have finally come to my decision on my party members.

Jaheira, I think she is super sexy, and i don't care if people don't like her, just means less competition for me ;) Besides she has a fairly interesting romance

Minsc, everything about him is so funny.

Jan, everything he says is so funny

Korgan, you can rely on him to stir up some trouble

Viconia, same as korgan plus some squabbling with jaheira over who gets me.

I am little bit worried about later on in the game though as i won't have enough magical abilities (a blade and a multi T/M), but this should add to the challenge, hopefully making the game more enjoyable. If i do start to really struggle i might swap in Imoen for Jan, but this would create another problem in itself, as i won't have enough theiving abilities, unless you think Imoen is good enough for ToB.

Your thoughts?

11. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

If someone mentions Minsc again I'll kill them I hate Minsc, I hate him, I hate him, I hate him AAAAAHRGH. (the killing part was a joke BTW)

Seriously though on the risk of been flamed to a crisp why the hell does everyone like Minsc so much? I'd like to know why but here's my reasons of not liking him

1. He's stupid
    2. He's probably the least useful and versatile NPC if I want str I'll take the girdle of frost giant str
    3. He's stupid
    4. He's annoying
    5. There's funnier npc out there
    6. None of them are as bone headed as you-know-who

In finishing why does everyone like stupidity so much? or am I just not seeing a lot of his funnier banters?

12. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member Member of the Week Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I hate to spoil your fun, but she's already mine. ;) Otherwise, I'm in agreement.

The Korgan-Mazzy pairing is hilarious. Mazzy and Valygar are also quite humorous.

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

:rolleyes:

Anyway, since many have told why to take some characters, I tell who you should *not* take from the viewpoint of banters.

Minsc, for one, has very few banters. Avoid.
    Valygar, only a few more.

The rest are pretty much okay, but definitely take Jan if you wish to have non-stop-talking. :p

[below]
    JCompton, there is? I have never got those, since when Minsc or Keldorn die, I always resurrect them right away (during the battle) -when Keldorn is in my party, which is to say 'rarely.'

[ December 06, 2003, 18:26: Message edited by: Virne ]

14. jcompton Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Highly debatable. For one thing, Minsc has a rather intricate series of interactions with Mazzy and, especially, Keldorn--including commentary each has for the other if they die and are raised, as well as Keldorn talking Minsc down from his berserker rages.

Minsc even has three SOA banters with Cernd, of all people. Plus, Minsc fares pretty well in the banter pack, he starts four new conversations in SOA.

15. TKATK_ Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

thoose banters wich minsc has are hillarous ;)
    Keldorn has a few GREAT jan ones

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.