1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Fascist Administrator

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by MrGrouch, Apr 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGrouch Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Can't say that I have ever contributed much here, so maybe you others see things that I do not.

When I first came here, I thought that this site was wonderful. Calm discussion (mostly), none of the chat speak of the eternally impatient, and no juvenile name calling and trash talking so common with most message boards. And it almost always dealt with subjects that I was interested in. Sure I didn't say as much as others, but unless I really felt I could contribute and not repeat what has been said many times already, I kept my mouth (so to speak) shut.

And who do we have to thank for this? Why Taluntain, Blackthorne TA and Extremist, but mostly it seems to be Taluntain. He makes sure that he reminds people when they get out of line, is quick to ban people who flagrantly abuse the rules and otherwise main general pains of themselves, and it seems that he reads everything here so as to continue to do that. Which is great, I wish other board moderators/administrators would do the same.

But sometimes he goes a little to far. What do I mean?
    • How about the time he got on a persons case because they changed thier profile name?
    • Or when the same person changed to one ending with a question mark?
    • Sigs are disabled. That is good. But why get on a persons case when they type their name at the bottom of their post? Sure, that could lead to quotes and things that would become 'virtual' sigs. But he called out the people that merely typed their name as well as the others. Now I will admit that I used to type my name at the end, but that was out of force of habit from the boards that did not display the name next to the post. I was more than happy to stop once I realized that I was doing it, but Taluntain's tone was that of a stern and stubborn taskmaster disciplining a habitual and intentional troublemaker.
    • Then there is the gal who asked Taluntain if he could name his cat after him. Taluntain could have responded with yes/no/I don't care. But what did he do instead. He called her silly (actually he called the question silly, but implied otherwise) and essentially rebuked her for wasting his time. I wonder how he would have reacted to her had she PM'ed him instead of posting? Probably the same way. I thought the question was cute and funny.
    There are other examples, but these are just the ones that come to mind now. But what is wrong with any of those things? Is anyone offended by them? Do any of them break any rules as laid out in the FAQ (or rather, did they when it happened)? Somehow, I doubt it. And even if you think Taluntain was correct on every count, does he still have to reply/inform with such a condescending attitude?

Now you can flame all you want, I won't be around to see it. And I bet this gets locked real fast so that it can't be replied to once Herr Administator sees it.

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

For the record, Tal lays out the money to run this place, so he could ask us all to have avatars in pink tutus if he wanted to and still have my support. I appreciate the fact that there are rules in place to keep this place from degenerating into the mess that happened on the last boards I posted on. I hope Mr. Grouch finds a place better suited to him.

In fact, as far as I'm concerned, Tal is a pretty easygoing guy overall -- I made fun of his Avatar once and he didn't get bent out of shape because he has a sense of humor. Some other chick got all snippy, but hey, it's a free board, right? My 2 cents.

3. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Tal makes these boards worth visiting. The rules are strict, but why should strict rules always be a bad thing.

On the cat issue, it was a silly question, for Tal can not influence whether somebody's cat is named after him, and thus there was no reason to ask. (It was the polite thing to do however) It is clearly stated in the FAQ/board rules that you may not start a post with a question for one person, instead he/she should PM the person is question.

Putting your name under the post is ridiculous, everybody can see who you are if they look to the left.

4. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Heh,

Now, in my ever-so-humble opinion; (probably voiced in the other old topic much like this) I feel that the moderators/administrators are doing a brilliant job, for all the reasons you listed.
    Now to me this sounds like a compliment? Yes, Tal should be complemented for the work he does. And considering the incredible workload it's not too unimaginable that he might get tired/irritated/annoyed once in a while. I certainly would, and I'm sure you would too.

I work for Tal, I post news on his site, and I contribute in whatever way I can. I don't get paid, I don't get favours in return, I just get Thanks. Even if I didn't I would still do it to repay him for the guy that he is and the work that he does.

Now, as Depaara said, it's a free board, and in truth Tal can do whatever the hell he wants with it, since he pays for it. In my opinion, he does a better job than most admins out there could ever do, without abusing his position.

IaaA was an arsehole, and correct me if I'm wrong but that is what his name stood for (I am an *******), and so it's no surprise Tal got annoyed at him.

Please know that I'm not flaming you here Mr.Grouch, just giving you my view.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] May I just say:

If you are talking about IaaA then it's good he changed his name to that because I'd rather see that than what it stood for.

He didn't go on at them about the question mark - just said it was weird. Just because Tal is a mod doesn't mean he can't voice opinions.

Sigs are disabled, the names are included there - people can see your names at the side of the screen.

The topic in question was not one that could really be made into a discussion or something, really, no offense to anyone but I think it was most likely a post for the babbledom :rolling:

Mainly Mr.G you need to lighten up and take things in context.

Or, dare i say it?, you are an IaaA? incarnate.

BTW - why start this if you won't be around to see it?

If people felt they were being harshly treated they would most likely leave or PM Tal, perhaps if you, and IaaA? had stayed and got to know the site better these topics wouldn't start and flames wouldn't be thrown.

6. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

My voice perhaps don't counts much,because I'm quiete new here,but I think Taluntain makes a great Job !
    I don't know anything about the examples you brought,expect the one with the cat(or was it a dog ?).But I think IaaA will have done enough things to annoy Tal.And that with the cats was a really silly question,because Tal couldn't really influence the name of the cat.

7. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I'm new here too. But I think that the administrators do a great job, because this a forum where flame wars nearly don't occur. That's a rare thing.

8. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

MrGrouch --

I've been in these parts quite awhile, but fortunately, I've not had to read such dribble as this very often.

Why is it that some people have such a hard time understanding the concept of "free" and "rules"? This site is FREE to all who venture here. It's a playground provided by ONE individual -- one individual ONLY -- for the benefit of all. I find it abhorrent that some people are willing to spend time here, take part in all this place has to offer, yet so quickly turn the knife on the owner and berate him for trying to institute some common sense structure, that, again... is for the benefit of all.

Condescending attitude??? -- No one is perfect and he's shown his tolerance for posters such as yourself on numerous occasions. I know Taluntain personally and I can tell you that he's one of the most warm-hearted and generous souls I've ever known. Your criticisms are way off base here.

In summation.....Taluntain owes you nothing. And if you could, for one minute, see through your myopia, you would recognize that YOU are the one that OWES him -- as we all do.

[ April 06, 2003, 22:51: Message edited by: Spellbound ]

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yep. The rules are strict. And yeah, Tal forks out the cash.

It's also a lot of work. And it would be even more if he left the code and [size]/[color] tags in there. There would be no way a few "select" mods could handle the load, especially when the real trolls wanted to play.

As it is, it is a tight, focused board. The Icewind Dale of D&D boards.

Relax?

Relax. And play some games. Suprisingly enough, the game forums are an excellent place for information and tips. Have you played any of the games?

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Oh boy, another call for revolution... These are getting old. Good thing I have the patience to deal with them instead of just deleting each such thread and banning everyone who starts them.

Ok, let's deal with this one by counts.

1. This is posted in the wrong forum, so will be moved to SS.

2. I will enforce common sense on these boards as I see fit. Names constructed to deliberately annoy (which the one in question was) will not be changed by me, though they could be, and the problem would be fixed on the spot. But I rather ask the person in question to do me and everyone else a favour and do it themselves. Unless the person in question deliberately wants to make a fuss, this request should pose no problem.

3. Unless you are this same person being discussed here, you are totally ignorant of what went behind the scenes with him in e-mail. And no, I will not explain the details to you. Suffice it to say, he got banned for it, but after he proved he could behave, was let back. And can post freely now, with the IaAA? username. So I'm not sure what your point here is. To show that I'm fair enough that I'll even let back people who deliberately annoy and insult me because I believe in giving people a second chance? Well, I should thank you for that, I suppose.

4. On sigs - it's a similar snowball theme as with letting people have stupid usernames. Either you let everyone do it, or no one. I don't make exceptions to the rules, and rules are clear. If you would actually bother to read them, you would also see explained there why just signing the name below isn't allowed either.

5. The post in question was closed for my own benefit. I could let it stay open and discuss my fondness for cats. I didn't. You know why? Because I play by my own rules as well. And the rules say to take to PM what can be handled via PM. Direct address to me over something which has no significance for anyone else should be handled via PM. And I will certainly always exercise the right to reply with what I think, if I choose to reply. I had a lot of previous PM correspondance with the person in question, and work because she did something which I'm not going to discuss here, so she knew I can easily be reached via PM.
    So this attempt at making me the Big Bad Guy fails as well. Mostly because you are arrogant enough to presume you know what goes on behind the scenes. You don't.

As for the attitude, after over 2 years of looking after a board and seeing people still do stupid things that are explained in the forum rules they are REQUIRED to read before they register on these boards, and served again in the Welcome PM should they inevitably skip them on registration, and again on top of every forum's topic listing... well, let's just say I'm not always at my most polite when I'm telling people to go read the rules. It's a very mind-numbing effort. Though really, I don't think any of my warnings lately come out too harsh, especially because they're all justified.

But then, there are always people with authority problems who think they can take any attitude with whoever they like and get away with it, but start screaming and kicking as soon as a hand from above slaps them on the wrist and lets them know that here that won't work. I can't really do anything about this - professional councelling is the only solution in such a case, if that.

In your case I presume this is the issue, as I don't have any problem with you. I can always work out problems with people I deal with directly, but every now and then there comes someone who thinks they actually have the right to question how I deal with all those cases which are none of their concern and of which they have no clue as to what goes in the background via PM and e-mail.

Finally, I really hate people calling me or any other mod/admin Nazis/Fascists or referring to us in German (I suppose I should be glad no one knows any Italian), which is the same. It not only shows lack of courtesy, but also general ignorance of what the words actually mean and imply. I am very much insulted by the attempted comparison. But I will forgive their use as I am sure they were used by a person ignorant of their full meaning.

This topic is closed, and no, MrGrouch is not banned, unless he attempts to show off again in a similar misguided fashion. I really only have patience for one such post by anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.