1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Haag

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Malaqai, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Malaqai Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Just a thought. When a war-criminal like Milosevich is sentenced (and he will be :) ,do you think we should legalise torture cause he will probably spend his days in a nice, comfortable room with a tv, a computer that's on-line 24/7, and he will have recreational activities (tennis, golf, a library...). He will never suffer enough (while still on this Earth) to atleast ease the suffering hundreds of thousands have suffered at his hands and give them satisfaction.

So, torture or no torture?

2. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

No, I do not think that he should be tortured. Nor do I think, that he should be put to death. I think life-long jail time is what he deserves. Sadly, he's life won't be long enough. But dead former political leaders tend to become martyrs and that is not good.

Now, if the principal of no torture and no death-penalty and no death-camps would have been upheld, then the whole wouldn't be so terrible. So my view is, starting with stopping that as early as possible.

I just think it's ironic, I've seen a documentation about Milosevic and he really started off his career in the late 80's with playing the nationalist card and promising the serbs, they're going to be safe from harm and better off. After his "brilliant" rule, wars and mass-murder, they have lost nearly everything. A great way into the abyss. So, they're defintely worse off and I hope they will not make the same mistake one more time.

But would you be for torture of croatian war-criminals too ?

3. Malaqai Gems: 4/31

I didn't take Milosevich as an example cause I am a Croat. I could have taken Karadzic or Hitler or anyone else for that matter, taken they have done the same sort of thing.

And as for torture, I am not pro-torture. So I can't be for the torture of Croatian war criminals. BTW, I would be flamed in my city if I even admitted that the Army of my country ever commited a crime! The problem is that the Haag has a couple of Croats in jail, and those soldiers are innocent. The only war-criminals that are Croatians and that I believe were guilty have been prosecuted in my country and sentenced to jail for a long, long time.

And I can tell you, especially any of you whose country has been involved in a war recently: there is no war where the good guys fight tha bad guys. Your people's cause may be just (although it isn't always), but war criminals are on both (all) sides. And, sadly, there are many of them (war criminals).

I just want to ask the question: "Do you think that there is punishment enough for a war criminal (especially for one who once led a nation, thus creating carnage unseen)?"

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The haag ?

5. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It's a not very nice name for an ugly old woman or a witch.

6. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The notion of war criminals seems like such a human failing to me. It is ok to kill someone, but if you rape a woman, then you broke the rules. Wouldn't the dead person have it a little worse off? They don't get a chance to heal...

Here's another example of failed human logic applying to morality. Executionary gun squads put a blank bullet in one of the guns. So for five gunners, four bullets and one blank. Now none of the gunners knows which one is blank. Somehow this makes them morally immune to having killed someone. Failed human logic...

7. vonGriffin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Like general Janko Bobetko ? Well we shall never know now…
    http://www.un.org/icty/indictment/english/bob-ii020826-e.htm

Of curse they are innocent, because they were the good ones right?

8. Malaqai Gems: 4/31

1)Like Mirko Norac.

2)Not because they were on the "right side". There is no right side. I perceive my country as the right side because I am a Croat. If I had been born in Belgrade, Serbia, I would perceive Yugoslavia as the right side.

They were innocent (if you ask me) cause they did not commit or order any criminal offence, but there is a law that makes people in command responsible for the actions of the troops they command. In example, Picard would be responsible if Worf killed a man.

@laches
    The Haag is a city in Europe that houses a court constituted to trial war criminals.

9. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I know, twas a joke. Haag --> Hag get it, yuck, yuck.

10. Malaqai Gems: 4/31

Oh. Me kinda slow. Yuck yuck.

And, thanx to Yago's enlightening, I now know that the english name for den Haag is the Hague.

11. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

No I dont believe that they should be tortured, but they shouldnt have anything like sports or computers.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.