1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The mighty Ranger/Cleric

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Ecniv Sllew, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Ecniv Sllew Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I just need a second of help here, ive tried making a ranger in BG1 (to get a level 1 character) and hoped to duel class him into a cleric but found that i couldnt.
    So when people talk about how great it is being able to access cleric and druid spells in a ranger/cleric is this a multi-classed pc or do you duel class a cleric to a ranger or what? :confused:
    Sorry to sound so newbie-ish but any advice you guys could lend me on topics like this is much appreciated

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Are you just playing BG1? Because, if so, I believe you need to have your first class (in this case, ranger) at level 2 before you can dual, plus (in BG2, at least), you need to have 15 in the prime stat of the first class (ranger - I believe STR), and 17 in the second class (cleric - WIS).

3. Ecniv Sllew Gems: 2/31

i did try dual classing at a higher level with 18 wisdom but was still unable to dual class from a ranger to a cleric - but a d/c ranger to cleric is what people are usually refering to when they talk about ranger/clerics isnt it?

4. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

IIRC, you need to have a Wisdom 17+ to dual to Cleric as well as the PRs for Ranger of at least 15 in Strength and Constitution.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It can be hard work getting the stats right for the Ranger / Cleric. Unless you're a compulsive re-roller, you have to make a sacrifice in Dex or Int.

Plus, is there not some alignment restriction for the Ranger / Cleric? The multiclass has to be Good, if I remember correctly.

6. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

@Ecniv Sllew,

For dual-classing, your character must be human. If your ranger is elf or half-elf, you can't dual-class him/her.

If s/he is human, what are exactly his/her stats?

7. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Ecniv Sllew wrote:
    No. It's a multiclass cleric/ranger.

8. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

You should have a natural STR and CON of at least 15 and WIS of 17 to dual class. If you multiclass with a half-elf you don't have this restriction. Why you would have less then 16 in STR or CON would be a mystery to me ;)

9. Earl Grey

@Thunder
    Girdle of [insert giant type here] Giant Strength is a good reason to start with low Strength.
    Girdle of Fortitude can be a reason to start with low Constitution.

10. Ecniv Sllew Gems: 2/31

i cant see any problem with any of this;
    * he's a human
    * he has 15 STR
    * he has 18 CON
    * he has 18 WIS ( really the only stats hes lacking are str [gonna get girdle of ____ giant strength] and CHAR [ at the moment hes practically mute with a charisma of 3 [ was planning on using ring of human influence] )

Anyway, i made a multi-class ranger/cleric now, and it seems ok, although i dont think having druid spells is amazingly great or anything...

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Wait until you get level 5 spells (Iron Skins and that insect spell rock). Also, Nature's Beauty is a sweet spell at level 7.

12. Aces Gems: 19/31

Rangers, like Paladins, can't dual class.

I'm about 98% sure of this anyway as I haven't played as a Ranger ever and never have personally tested them. :hmm:

13. Ekarderif Gems: 2/31

Ranger Clerics are like Fighter Clerics, except better in almost every way (the only exception is fighting class levels but to be honest, no one needs more of that). That's why the rule :cool: .

14. Earl Grey

That's not correct. Rangers can dual class

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Rangers can definitely dual-class (I've done it). A couple of the kits (Archer and Stalker) can't, but the plain one can.

16. Aces Gems: 19/31

Really?
    My bad then... :o
    Can you dual "to" a Ranger or just "from" one?

I was right about Paladins though wasn't I?
    :heh:

17. Earl Grey

Yes, you're right about Paladins.
    The basic rule is that if it's a possible multiclass combination it's allowed as a dual class (except of course F/M/T and F/M/C, because you can't dual class twice).

18. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

So why can't Ecniv Sllew's Ranger dual class to cleric?

He said that he was:
    he's a human
    * he has 15 STR
    * he has 18 CON
    * he has 18 WIS

So? Is he missing another stat somewhere? Dex? Cha?

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    To dual class a Ranger to a Cleric, you need the following:

Human
    Be at least 2nd level.
    Minimum of 15 STR
    Minimum of 15 DEX
    Minimum of 17 WIS

Looks like the deficiency could be DEX.

The prime stats for a Ranger are all three of the above, while WIS is the prime stat of a Cleric.

20. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Another great point about the R/C, which is common to almost all divine casters, is that their AC can be so low because of armor and items, that they end up almost NEVER getting interrupted while spell casting, unless its a Magic Missile or something thats doing the interrupting.

Really cool, because mages and arcane casters need to cast stuff like Protection from Magic Weapons, Mirror Image, Stoneskin etc to get the same effect that divine casters get while wearing armor.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.