1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Rules

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by IaaA?, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IaaA? Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Now in real life we have rules. A good example is the police. Now the police must also follow the rules. There are special rules for the police where they may break the rules for normal people like me. Now, a lot of times the police think that they are above the rules. However, sometimes they get caught or sued or whatever and they find that they must also conform to the rules.
    There is a thing called "hitting below the belt." It is insulting behavior. Now in the rules here, they have a rule that people who use these posts are not supposed to insult others. Calling someone names is also insulting behavior. Now, the question is this: Are the moderators and administrators above their own rules? Also, we as users may break the rules and when we do break them, must the moderators insult us? I'm not the only one here who has been insulted by the mods. I was banned previously for "being rude" in a private mail, which was a retort to a very rude remark, relating to my culture, in both a thread and private mail. Now, if I have a difference of opinion with the powers that be, is this not the place that I might express them along as I am not rude or insulting. Do I then deserve insults from these people?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] We are not the police, we are the cruel and tyrannical minions of the despot named Taluntain. Rules are for the lowly subjects! We on the other hand can obey or disregard them as we choose! Mwahahaha! Bow to your betters worm! ;)

3. IaaA? Gems: 5/31

I thank you for clarifying that for me. I didn't infer that you were the police -- I only used that as an example of a class of people with authority. I could have used other examples using professors, officers, mayors, DAs, etc., but I chose the police because there are a lot of published abuses in the newspapers, tv, etc. All the other classes of people that I did not choose as examples have limits to their powers just like the police have. I guess that you guys do not and can flame anyone at will.
    Also, I took the use of "worm" as meaning anyone and not specifically an insult to me personally. So, to use "positive language feedback," I take your post as being constructive and informative with a little humor thrown in to take away from the "incredible" ill effects of its connotation.

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Tal and the administrators are not the police. You are forced to live in a society, and policemen (as well as the military, government officials, etc.) help regulate and enforce the society's rules. When the policemen become corrupt or cruel, we have a right to protest because they are not taking care of us.

However, no one is making you go to SP. SP is Taluntain's site. If he is mean to you, you can just decide not to go to SP anymore.

But that is not to say it is right if someone says rude things to you just because he can.

I imagine this rule applies to all institutions that one voluntarily attends. School and college are an important part of life; teachers and professors shouldn't abuse their students. However, your DM in your D&D group can choose to tease you if he likes; you can't sue him for doing so.

5. IaaA? Gems: 5/31

I attend university in California. A professor cannot abuse his/her students at all. He cannot flame them, insult them at all either. It is against the law. Neither can a student do this to a professor as it is the same law. However, a professor has more authority and some more leeway than a student.
    BTW I think suing anybody except for, maybe, the most extreme situations is also stupid. It is just best to move on. Life is too short to get caught up in stuff like that. However, I've witnessed an example of Tal flaming Quint whom I thought was a great contributor here and it seems that he has moved on. Now, take me for example, maybe you think that my posts suck. However, I thought Quint's posts were great. What if you get another great poster in the future? It will be the site that suffers. However, I think that I've said enough and that it is time for me to move on also.

6. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] What was the need to post Two topics about this? If you could not see that BTA was joking, then truly you are a moron. As of yet, I have not seen any evidence of Moderators breaking rules unless it was intended as a joke.
    You're starting to sound like Sue-Happy americans, "He Called me a Worm! I hate you!", or a better description; an unhappy 5 year old.

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Unless the University you attend is a public one, professors have little or no right to abuse you because your tuition pays their salary.

If you go to SP, no one is making you pay a fee. Tal is the Administrator. If you don't like it, there's not much you can do about it.

8. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    IaaA?,
    You just posted two threads on the same topic, you made problems about your nickname and -correct me if I'm wrong- but all your posts seem to be about how we (the users) should stand up for ourselves and start a revolution.

Now you can see why the mods can't be very fond of you.

And are you sure you aren't overreacting?
    I've never seen any of the mods making rude remarks about someone's culture.
    Anyway as so many people have said It's Tal's site. He decides how to run it.

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] The Moderators enforce the rules on SP and help to make it a great community.

There will undoubtedly be a little bit of sillyness all meant to be a joke even if everyone doesn't see it that way. As soon as it gets serious and just plain stupid it is stopped.

Thinking about it there is a lot of name-calling - the nicknames we all have, you going to complain if someone calles you just IA?

Tal, BTA, Ex and everyone else work hard to make this site nice, they correct mistakes, make appropriate rules and punish people when neccessary. They don't have to do this, and have a responsibility in running it, that doesn't mean started a couple of topics on how the Moderators don't come to your standards, yes they may make a little mistake once in a while but in the end it doesn't matter - everyone does it.

10. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Actually I have found the MODs to be pretty fair - and when there was a flame they usually had a good reason to do so. You have an odd view on things.

The MODs here basically do housecleaning, reading all posts, warning the morons and, if they refuse to understand, remove them. I have no problem with them beeing *almighty* since they use their competences with common sense. What you seem to aim on, that our MODs abuse their rights, is unfair. They don't. We have sweet and nice tyrrants here :love: And we rarely have morons here, and if so, not for long. That's an achievement and I'm confident it will continue to be so :evil:

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Um, I fail to see the problem...
    :confused: :hmm: :jawdrop:

12. IaaA? Gems: 5/31

Ragusa:
    So, it's ok to you for someone like Gopher who called me a moron, which is insulting to me. I take this as being against the rules. I will repeat again for Gopher's sake that I took the word "worm" as joking and found no offence in BTA's comment (I assume Blackthorn TA) as I stated above. And if you are trying to call me a moron then that is insulting also. Tal called Quint a clown and Quint felt insulted and left. Do you not want to have guys like Quint at this site? He is the guy who wrote the patch that fixes the slowdown in several places in IWD2.

I have no problem if you guys want me to leave. But, if you do a poll, YOU HAVE TO START A NEW TOPIC. This was my first poll and I screwed it up because people can vote three times and some of you mental giants did just that, id est, vote three times.

Tal is POed at me and that's why he insults me. Yet, he says my posts are good. Do you guys appreciate my game posts or do you think they suck? That is why I have stuck around. I would also like to see guys like Quint stick around. I would like to see guys like Earl Grey stick around. I don't care about Gopher and I ignore his comments because he doesn't understand what he reads and he seems to me to be a pure sycophant.

Now, you say that it's ok to insult morons so that they leave the site. I say that it is not ok for anyone to insult anybody, especially morons (real ones) because they cannot defend themselves. I say that an administrator here writes a last insulting post and then closes the topic so one cannot defend himself. I say that it is wrong for him to write the insulting post and that it is against the rules of this site. And if he can not abide his own rules then he is a hypocrite and his rules are not valid.

I would prefer that you guys tell me that you do not want me here as opposed to being banned or me just leaving.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] As in the previous closed post, just leave if you have a problem with something. You'll do us all a favour. As for putting even the greatest of contributors in line; sometimes you need to chop off a good branch for the rest of the tree to keep growing healthily. And remember, again, none of the regular users here are above the rules. People are probably already wondering what the hell you're still doing here. I've banned people for much less idiotic conduct on the boards, let alone your stupidity you've made evident in e-mails and PM that no one here even knows about.

So take the IoTW plaque you've thoroughly deserved as a warning. If you don't improve in a week's time, you'll be banned. Again. And if you make any similarly stupid topics in the future, you'll be banned as well. Feel free to go up in flames, if you want. I won't shed any tears.

[ January 06, 2003, 22:29: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.