1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The US Must Die!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Aikanaro, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I must say, I am entirely sick of seeing posts with anything at all to do with the USA, or politics in general, in the AODA. Is there nothing else to debate? Can you people leave the topic alone for a while? Maybe after a week or so of only non-political threads they'll be a good supply of interesting and original debates and discussions that haven't been rehashed thousands of times already. Leave the topic alone, would you? (Though if the abyss opens up and swallows America in its entirity, I'll understand the need to make a post...).

2. Xerxes Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I have to strongly agree with you there, it is the prime reason why i dont look at the AODA forum very often.

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I was tempted to start a "Green vs Blue, state your arguments" topic there earlier, but figured it'd just get moved or locked, so I didn't bother.

But yeah, AoDA needs a change of topics. :) (I just lurk there, I don't feel much for debating.)

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Just pfor fun, do a search on one of the foruums for "America"... you'd be surprised.

I solemnly swear I shan't mention that accursed place for a week unless it's in rrelation to my sister's upcoming wedding.

5. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

A-ha, I suppose I should have opened this forum before the AoDA, and saved myself some typing.

In the efforts of good faith, I too shall refrain from any further reponses. I must admit, it was those other topics which secured me as an official member of the boards here, (much to your conjoined regret I'm sure ;) ) it was a sad discovery when they petered out. I hope that there is no more than coincidence in that last statement of revelation.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, honestly there isnt really much to discuss when it comes to international politics that does not touch upon the US. That is just how things are. We could discuss how the democracy of Russia is crumbling under Putin but people are not very interested nor is there much to really discuss. I would guess that most people have the same views, it is not very controversial.

That said it do get a little tiresome and there really is not much new to say most of the time, I rarely reply in those topics anymore as my viewpoints have been expressed many times before.

If you think all the US topics are so bad Aikanaro why dont you start up a thread about something interesting and controversial to be discussed which hasnt already been beaten to death?

7. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I definitely, totally, without-questonably, agree.
    It would be nice to see something refreshing in the AoDA for a change...something I might actually know :D

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I will, as soon as I think of something. In the meantime, let us hope that other peoples who read this thread start thinking to do the same.

9. Manus Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Well don't worry, Arabwel faltered for a while but I'm keeping her in line.

Mayhaps we could re-open the POR forum? That's something we can all agree to. In all fairness I haven't ever actually played the game. But then again I haven't ever been to America either :D

I'm not liking how this is going...

10. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Thanks, Aiky...

Being American I typically, although not always, take the US view on issues. I used to rise to the bait of every thread in AoDA that seems to restate in the same old way "US bad, we good", but now I have just gotten too tired to bother. I will be the first to admit some of the errors of my Nation, and attempt to hold her responsible in all means possible, but the endless barrage of attacks and criticism has gotten absurd.

I have found that even when the US does something good, it will be spun to make it look bad. I am no US fanboy, in any means, but if you want to have a serious, open debate it is requistite that both sides come to the table with an receptive mind.

I am so sick of all the US threads in AoDA that I could just scream...and it's good to see that I am not alone. It would be nice to have an itellectual debate about any topic that doesn't begin with "America" and end with "sucks".

[EDIT: I've got it, I'm going to go and start a "Mars sucks" thread, are you all with me?]

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Aik, I applaud you effort but I fear it will go for naught. There are elements on the AoDA who will find a way to spin any problem - no matter how universal - to have its roots in something evil that America did. :(

12. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, actually, the restriction has to be broader. It also has to involve the middle of the east. And don't think I wouldn't have whacked my head for a topic for a thread which would last for more then ten posts and would not involve the middle of the east and the far west. But, it's actually quite an intellectual challenge, I think. Actually, we could post a topic in the Alley what could be discussed in the Alley which is not involving, you know what. And further, would not lead in to you know what in a few posts. I played with the of thought about shutting down the Gotthard, pros and cons.

And is not about religion, guns or babies in bellies. Talking about religion is like talking about the socks you wear and the other will end in flame wars.

13. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I already have the topic...

"Mars Sucks"

I'll post it as soon as I am willing to wear "Idiot of the Week" :D

14. Manus Gems: 13/31

Well, if anyone is interested, I have given it my shot. But I see that now Aikanaro has as well.

The race is on. Who shall win? The steadfast favourite, the popular, post-disciplined staminate (heh) old-timer? Or the new challenge, the intriguing mysterious upstart?

Yeah that's right, mysterious. Are we going to have a problem?

I am in an odd mood this day. Nevertheless, I feel Aik may take the lead, as I have just responded to his thread, while mine remains bereft.

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

The thread count stands at:

Aikanaro: 2
    Manus: 1
    Hacken Slash: Nil

16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I just made a totally off-topic post in the Alley for those people who might have missed this thread. *

Good one, Aik. :thumb:

*Edit: except that Tal deleted my post (due to it being off-topic)

[ January 09, 2004, 18:03: Message edited by: Splunge ]

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

An update:

Aikanaro: 3
    Manus: 1
    Hacken Slash: 1

With Splunge advertising the cause in a totally off topic way.

18. Manus Gems: 13/31

This idea has spawned a legion.

If only we had tried this sooner. Thank-you Aikanaro.

19. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I haven't posted this much in a very long time. I grew so tired of reading AoDA posts. Yay. You have breathed new life and vigor into the Boards for me. I appreciate it.

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Good, I'll have more threads to spam in and more things to bash! I must say, it was getting quite bored with the US all the time ;)

Who's next? :shake: :lol: :grin:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.