1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The way of the Quivering Palm

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Moeken, Nov 23, 2000.

1. Moeken Guest

Here's a little story about my monk:

Moeken quietly approached the clearing, wondering if the pain in his forearms would ever erase the pounding fear that was screaming in his mind. 'RUN!!' his thoughts told him, but he knew he had come too far to let his companions down. The dragon fear engulfed him as he approached the huge black lizard, and only his years of endless meditation at the monestary kept his mind clear and the insanity at bay. To his companions he appeared to dissolve into the shadows and not a whisper of his former existance betrayed his path towards the ancient evil lizard. Moeken could only guess at the tyranny and death that had been dealt by the dragon, but yet he felt remorse with what he was about to do. He could feel the vibrations all around him, coaxing him to be their master, and in an instant the power was his! The dragon became an object of frailty, and with trained instincts Moeken's very hands began to vibrate in tune to the dragon's natural aura. Moeken knew he would have to live with his sly cowardice, and he also knew he could never be a lowly assasin. His thoughts overwhelmed him as he made his presence know to the dragon, and for an instance he had lost his connection.
    'Ah, Irenicus has delivered my evening meal,'
    the dragon boomed with ancient melodic tones, 'I always love it when they wish to put up a fight!'
    Moeken felt the ground tremble as the great lizard dug it's claws into the ground preparing to engulf it's prey in a steaming pool of digestive liquid, and in an instant he made the move that might be his final. His companions could only gape in awe at the feathery smoothness of Moeken's form as he scrambled up the towering leg of the confident beast and lept into the air. With lightning swiftness the blur of his forearm collided with the reptilian neck and for a moment the dragon just trembled in stunned silence, knowing that it's life force had been stopped. Moeken quietly scampered out of the way as tonnes of warm dragon flesh fell to forest floor, and once more all was silent and the vibrations had subsided.

You know, the great thing is that this actually happened in my game. It was awesome. I have to say I love being a monk!

2. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Not bad young Skywalker...

"Obi-Wan has tought you well. But you are NOT a Jedi yet..." Allow my MONK to COMPLETE your training. Join me and we can rule Faerun as father and son... :) -just having a little fun here!

Actually great job, I enjoyed those moments as well when I played my MONK so I do 'indeed' know how you feel. And good story as well.

Sounds like you're close to the end of the game, ahhhhh 'how power is truly fleeting'.

3. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Oops, changed my name to Lord Moeken.

There is a similarity between a MONK and a Jedi isn't there. There is just something enticing about wearing nothing but a robe while you wander around flying blades and exploding fireballs, all the while tapping creatures on the head with your bare hand. I always wanted to be a Jedi. :)

4. Sol'torg Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

You may have killed a dragon in one blow, but have you polymorphed one into a squirrel yet? :) I have. Instead of it just dying, it is forced to live out its miserable existence as a squirrel! That sure was funny to see!

5. Doomlord Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well I don't want to change the subject here but isn't using quivering palm a bit cheating?Yes I know it is here so you can use it but I can't see any fun or challenge in killing a dragon by quiver.It is completely out of logic.You walk and hit a monster 20 times larger than you with immense resist. and power and tada it is instant kill.I don't blame anyone here but where is the challenge? where is the feeling of being a party.As I see on the posts the only difficulty using this method is saving and loading to get the kill.I think monk is a cool character with martial arts but even Bruce Lee would run in fear when facing a dragon :)

6. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

can someone enlighten me to how quivering palm works? I have not seen it in the manual

7. Quivering palm is simple - save vs. spell (or is it death?) or die.

8. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

Doomlord,

The quivering palm is like any death spell within the game, and no it isn't like cheating. I have used the quivering palm several times with no effect and then it's basically a toe to toe slug fest. In fact, during my whole game I think I used it with success maybe 2 or 3 times. I get alot of enjoyment fighting multitudes of creatures so that my characters can refine and improve their skills, you'll notice that the dragon I took down with the QP is near the end of the game - I think it's fun vanquishing foes using a variety of techniques. The monk takes a bit of patience and sacrifice to play because at lower levels they really aren't that good and the battles can be quite difficult. (In my opinion any way)

Hey Sol'torg, I think I read about your squirrel post earlier. Sounds like like some sweet dragon revenge. One minute eating Umberhulks and Elven Lords for lunch and the next moment saving up on acorns for winter. Heh Heh.

9. Sir Phapylon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

isnt the monk BG2 real powerhouse once you get to know how to use him ?

10. Doomlord Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Well; I told I was not blaming anyone in my post because of a good reason: I wasn't blaming anyone.But I don't get it; why would you have the need of answering to my post?It was just my thoughts,a different angle of view that's it.As I said before I think monks (along with the sorcerers) are among the coolest of characters with it fists and resists., and you must deserve your powers; you don't just get a Carsomyr and kick ass. But there are lots of monks lord moeken, who try and try over till they get the kill.Just read the posts and you will surely see something like "missed the bastard thrice but haha not the fourth time".It is pure crap and this game doesn't deserve it.Hope I don't incite anything this time.

11. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

I guess I was only expressing my view as well and I was bored on a Sunday and I felt like answering a post. I guess everyone plays the game a little different, and as long as we're all having fun is the main thing. (Even if we have to reload fourteen times just so we can kill something! ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.