1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Theme Parties

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Angel Headed Hipster, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Angel Headed Hipster Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well I'm thinking about restarting this game and wondered what kinda cool theme party to play. Any ideas cos I really have none. I quite liked the Robin Hood Idea from another topic.

xx

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Other themes that I have been done include:
    - Buffy Theme (using the portraits and soundsets from this site)
    - Lord of the Rings theme (pretty easy to do - there are also some portraits here)
    - Star Wars theme (a bit tricky getting the classes right but there is a Darth Vader soundset here)
    - Simpsons theme (all sorts of fun - Homer is a Bard 1 / Barbarian X - the bard is from his time with the B-Sharps.....)

Someone else here did a Star Trek theme and an Elfquest theme but I can't remember how they did them.

3. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

King Arthur theme?

Paladin
    Paladin
    Paladin
    Paladin
    Paladin
    Mage

*Looks at party* Maybe not.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

@ Daie:
    :hmm: I don't know, Lancelot was kind of a roguish character (stealing Guinevere and all), and I think that Percival would make a great dual-wielding berserker with his axes. :grin: And I'm pretty sure I remember a very religious knight who was a cleric before he entered the knighthood. Arthur would of course be the shining paladin, and Merlin the great wizard, but the rest have at least some flexibility. The real problem would be finding portraits and soundsets for the characters. :(

5. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

How about a BG theme? You more or less already have the stats for the chars. And they can sort of belong in that world already.

You can even go with Torment. Although would be hard to figure out how what race to choose for a couple of chars (Morte, of Fall From Grace, for example)

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    @Daie and Felinoid: Merlin would be a great Druid/Sorcerer IMO.

@khaavern: I tried it once. It's easy because you can use portraits and sounds available on SP. The problem is that you won't have the banters. ;)

There is also the Order of the Stick which is a great party to RP (quite fun actually).

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Don Quixote and Sancho Pansa? :D

One could also set up a The Witcher party. Ranger (I guess), bard, wizardess, young sorceress. For example. Or just ranger and bard or even ranger and wizardess. Depending on which moment from the books we take...

As for King Arthur themes, Merlin looks more like a bard in the Celtic version. Perhaps something close to the ancient druids. His being a mage is more of a mediaeval concept. Still, I'm more intrigued by Charis, the Lady of the Lake, to be honest.

If you want to go a bit more Irish on the Celtic side, perhaps Cuchulain and one of his friends or the two women in his life (kill me if I can spell their names off the top of my head :p ) or Finn Mac Cumall and the Fein warriors.

A Robin Hood party doesn't sound bad. Fighter/Ranger/Rogue for Robin, Cleric/Monk for Friar Tuck (eerr... it isn't clear if he was a priest or not and the D&D pugilist monk actually does suit him, so why not combine the two), barbarian for Little John... a couple of rogues as other folks. The lady could be a bard, maybe.

How about a barbarian called Dubya supported by the enchantress Condoleeza and Cheney, the cleric of Bane? :D If you could think of a class for Rummie...

Leaving aside specific movies, books etc, a paladin of Mystra and a sorceress works great. It's lots of fun using him as fireball decoy after he manages to get surrounded. :D

Maybe a big big paladin and a little girly rogue... Was thinking about this one, as well.

8. Angel Headed Hipster Gems: 1/31

Ok, I started a party, 3 paladins, one multi fighter one to cleric and one to wizard.

But I don't quite get 3E rules, I'm too used to BG1 + 2. A bit more specifically, I tryed to multi-class them to their respective second classes but I appeared to lose the benefit's of the first class. How do I prevent this?

Can some one please explain this to me :)

PLeassseeeeee

xx mwah

[ July 03, 2005, 19:50: Message edited by: Angel Headed Hipster ]

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Khaavern - I never thought of a BG theme before!

AHH - I have never heard of this. None of those characters should have lost their paladin abilities as they are all common paladin multiclass options (along with the ever popular Paladin Sorcerer)

10. Angel Headed Hipster Gems: 1/31

Ok, I'll look into a bit more. One other question - if I want my character to have a few levels of rouge then take up wizard will I still suffer this -20xp thing?

xx

11. Harbourboy

Are you talking about a Paladin / Rogue / Wizard ?

That's a fairly odd combo but it might be possible to engineer so that there was no XP penalty so long as you kept the Paladin and Rogue levels within one level of each other and your race had Wizard as its favoured class.

12. Angel Headed Hipster Gems: 1/31

Well I was doing a different party because I need money and three Paladins aren't too brilliant for that!

So it was gonna be a rangerx/rouge3 would I get an xp penalty because they aren't close together level wise?

13. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Just need to choose a race whose favored class is rogue (nobody has ranger as a favorite). Halfling? Remember humans and half-elves ignore the highest class, but does anyone ever use a half-elf? Go human for the extra skill pt (great use for rogue) and the extra feat at 1st level.

14. Arianyr Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

my ideas...purely roleplaying, NO powergaming, and it's maddingly difficult

-gnome paladin (yep :) ) im planning on letting him dual wield flails if possible

-human barbarian/rogue with greataxe

-tiefling evoker, ignus-like, obsessed with fire

-half-orc ranger dual-wielding axes

-human paladin of mystra...gotta love 'em

-my favorite.....human fighter, dual-wielding
    bastard swords :D used to be a halfling in BG2 but in the newer games they made it impossible for halflings....*shrugs*

-elf fighter with longbow....*drool*

-a bard... :) as good as it gets in terms of roleplaying

what do you think? which should i use? and could you also give me some ideas for a fun cleric? i'm gonna beat this game with a roleplaying party, i swear it!

15. Felinoid

Funny you should mention that. I started a theme party (of a sort) in BG1 that emphasizes fast-firing missile weapons:

PC elf fighter with a bow
    Imoen with a short bow
    Jaheira with darts (3/round)
    Khalid with another bow
    Kagain with the Light Crossbow of Speed (2/round)
    and of course, Kivan with his bow

The idea (hopefully) is that the enemy won't be able to move as he's getting pummeled with 13+ missile hits per round. :evil:

16. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

That would be absolute carnage, especially since, unlike in Baldur's Gate II, you don't get an armor class penalty if someone attacks you with a hand-to-hand weapon when you're holding a missile weapon.

17. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

@ Felinoid: don't forget the Hell's Bolter, probably one of the best Xbows in the game! (3/round) Load it with bolts +2 or +3, and let the massacre begin...!

Just one little problem... Where are you going to find/buy so much arrows/bolts to meet the needs of 6 ranged fighters? Certainly if you're going to use the Light Xbow of Speed, Hell's Bolter and more of those tasty goodies...

18. Felinoid

Maybe you didn't notice, but I said I was playing BG1, so Hell's Bolter is out, as are +2 or +3 bolts. As for your 'little problem', I'm finding it to be a BIG problem. I keep having to buy more arrows and darts whenever I'm back in town. (The Bassilus encounter has given me enough bolts for a while. :heh: ) The upside is that I don't even need all of Jaheira's healing spells, so I can memorize more Entangle spells for those annoying melee fighters. If it wasn't for Ease-Of-Use, this idea would never work.

EDIT: Then again, maybe I shouldn't have brought it up at all, considering this is the IWD2 forum. :hmm: But I'm sure the idea could be adapted to IWD2 as well.

[ July 08, 2005, 18:35: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

19. DreamingxAshley Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Im gonna play the game again, (2nd time), and I had the idea of an all girl party (Im a girl myself. :p ). And while Im positive others have done this... I was gonna name my group:

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Blades. hehehe. No, I havent seen the movie with the word pants in the title, the name of the group just came up with itself. heh.

2 Swordmaidens/fighters/whatever
    Priestess/Druidess
    Thief
    Bard

Maybe... not sure what the classes would be. ^_^

20. Arianyr Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

i made a non-powergaming group, and MAN is that hard! even Phaen owned me...multiple times...luckilly, i have 2 characters who can keep the rest alive...here's my party;

-human paladin of Helm with longsword/shield
    -human fighter with 2 bastard swords (1 of the good ones :) )
    -elven fighter with longbow (ditto, he has 71% of kills so far :) )
    -half-elf druid: pretty bad character, but when he reaches lvl 16....
    -rogue/barbarian with great axe: powerful but low ac
    -elven abjurer

as you can see, it's pretty mixed; no 6 paladins, 5 spellcasters and 4 tanks in 1, but perhaps i could have had more diversity in the races...im also a bit dissapointed that i had no room for a bard...nothim more rp'ish than a bard, right? :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.