1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

THEME PARTIES

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Neverworlder, Dec 19, 2000.

1. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I know this topic has been done before, but it was a while ago, but does anyone have/run any interesting themed parties?

Howsabout...

Buffy (female Human Undead Hunter)
    Xander (barely-male Human Jester)
    Willow (female Abjurer)
    Oz (male Human Shapeshifter)
    Giles (male Human Thief-dual-Mage)
    Faith (female Human Undead Hunter who will fall from grace)

2. Elenias Nal'nair Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

A real classic one would be 'The Fellowship Of The Ring' -Tolkien inspired but without that many Hobbits (=Halflings):
    Gandalf (Human, mage or sorcerer as you like it)
    Frodo (Halfling, thief or maybe swashbuckler for he's not the backstab-type but has good manners)
    Aragorn (Human, the prototype for all rangers)
    Gimli (Dwarf, plain fighter or berzerk)
    Legolas (Elf, archer or specialized fighter)
    Boromir (Human, fighter or cavalier, that is tempted by the ring (Ring Of Gaxx :D ) and also falls from grace)
    ...this party obviously is in lack of some spellpower, specialy some clerical/druid powers, but these were not in Tolkien's concept, but for healers, that weren't in the fellowship...IMO too much hack'n'slash but with cool characters (with some scripts the conversations e.g. between Legolas and Gimli would be marvelous...)

3. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31

Well, a dual party like that should be fun :
    - Fafrhd, Human male Barbarian (though in the Legends and Lore book, he is described as a Ranger 18, Bard 5, Thief 15).
    - Grey Mouser, Human male Dual class Mage/Thief (in L&L, he is Fighter 13, Wizard 5, Thief 19).

Maybe a lack of Magic, especially for Healing, but it should be fun, isn't it ? :)

Another interesting party should be that one from the main David Eddings serie.

4. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Or "Wheel of Time", someone ?

Rand : some sort of Fighter/Mage I guess, both of véry high level, since he's both the best swordsman of the realm, and the greatest mage. (thus wielding a Katana)
    Martrim : clearly a thief, maybe a Swashbuckler, since he's a rather good fighter himself. (wielding a Spear or a Quarterstaff)
    Perrin : I'd say a Ranger, possibly a Beastmaster for his 'connection' with the wolves. (wielding an Axe)
    And then, well, either Nynaeve, Egwene and Elayne all three some sort of Cleric, otherwise only 2 of them, and Lan as Warrior. Berserker perhaps ?

5. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The best one:

Mr Red: Fighter/Thief
    Mr Pink: Fighter/Thief
    Mr Blue: Fighter/Thief
    Mr Orange: Fighter/Thief
    Nice Guy Eddie: Bard

Thats all I can think at the moment.

6. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31

If you were willing to venture a little outside of the Fellowship, you could make Elrond a cleric, or maybe make Gandalf (the original Wise & Grey) a cleric/mage. In the interest of balancing your party, of course. By the way, if I were to make a party of six of my own characters, and play them all myself (multiplayer) how much of the game would I be robbed of? And if I were to occasionally swap one of my own for an NPC would I be able to meet them later, for instance, were I left them, of matbe the Copper Coronet?

7. Snowlock Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

yes you would be able to meet them in the inn.

...but as you mentioned you would lose some quests(which i found the most interesting because they developed over some time)and as a personal experience from IWD a whole party made by myself was too powerfull to make the game interesting.playing with companions that have own aim and opinions is more challengeing.also i like to concentrate on my main character

8. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31

And another thing about IWDs system is that it takes bloody ages to remember the names of all the characters.

I think also that NPCs in BG2 have strengths and weaknesess, that can be covered up totally in IWD and MP games by

1) Totally customising your character(s).

2) If there are still weaknesses, the next character you make can cover them over with different strengths.

3) You can choose portraits yourself :D

All of these factors can reduce the fun of games like BG2 (IWD, if you don't know, was released as a fill-in between BG and BG2), so the programmers were primarilly working on BG2, so there was either time constraints on creating NPCs or the couldn't be bothered as it was mainly fighting anyway. To be honest, I think NPCs are much better than an entire party of PCs because it has more spirit (if you get me here) and has weaknesses (like the only mage in BG2 with an int of 18 being evil), custom partys can be fun, I did it in BG, but I enjoyed NPCs a lot more, it will be more so in BG2 with all of the conversations that take place between NPCs (inc romances with the PC) and the fact it will be easier, (read above for that), and confusing (read above also) unless you are doing a theme party, but wouldn't it seem silly to have a theme party if you are going to play RPG wise, you would have to change the bios to a clever story of why they ended up in that place, etc.

[This message has been edited by Septic Yogurt (edited December 26, 2000).]

9. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

a party of D&D heroes

drizzt (lvl 15 elven ranger with altered graphics)
    eminster (lvl 19 human conjurer with altered graphics)
    wulfgar (human berserker with altered graphics)
    myrjala (human enchantress with altered graphics)
    abdel (human fighter)
    and for some evil... sarevok (lvl 15 human fighter with altered graphics)

10. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31

X marks the theme...

Storm: human female Avenger Druid
    Nightcrawler: half-elf male Swashbuckler (all points in Stealth, specialize in long sword)
    Wolverine: human male Berserker (dual wield & specialize in short swords)
    Colossus: human male Cavalier (in full plate, specialize & dual with maces)
    Pheonix: human female Sorceress (only learn mind-related spells)
    Wolfsbane: female human Shapeshifter

11. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31

Fat Egg, you could use Shadow Keeper to change paperdolls and graphical apperances.

12. Elenias Nal'nair Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] yeah, but from what I've heard, the game crashes on the next occasion, whatever that may be...(changing weapons and stuff)

13. Snowlock Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Fat Egg,sorry but Wulfgar would need to be a barbarian*g*

14. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] How about a Discworld party from the Pratchet books? The 'Guards, guards' watch perhaps:

Captain Vimes: Fighter
    Corp. Carrot: Paladin, charisma 18
    Corp Nobbs: Fighter/thief, charisma 3
    Lance corp Cuddy: Dwarf 'tank' fighter
    Lance corp Angua: (female) Druid, spends 50% time shapechanged into werewolf.

They need an Unseen University mage, eg Rincewind: Conjurer, fav spell Chroma Orb
    He could summon Earth Elemental and call it Private Detritus (strictly a troll, but Discworld trolls are more like Earth Elementals)

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Rincewind a conjurer? ROTFL
    He's the Librarian's assistant for God's sake. He couldn't cast a magic missile if his life depended on it. (And it did many times).
    The only class he'd qualify as would be a danger detector. (+5 to flee before enemies come into range, +5 to hide in dark corners & shadows).
    Too bad such a class doesn't exist in AD&D
    hehehe.

Try Coin as a member of the party instead. A genuine So(u)rcerer. ;)

16. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31

I'm gonna go through with 3 of my own characters, I'm thinking I'll still have plenty of room for other NPC's. I'll be sure to choose wisely.

17. Lukki Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Militia

Pikeman (fighter lvl 10)
    Pikeman (fighter lvl 10)
    Pikeman (fighter lvl 10)
    Pikeman (fighter lvl 10)
    Pikeman (fighter lvl 10)
    Pikeman (fighter lvl 10)

Then they all just scream "For the glory of Amn!"

Each one is equipped with splint mail, spear +1 and a helmet

18. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] OK, so give Rincewind a flee threshold same as Anoumen, give him permanent 'luck' and Luggage as familiar - an unholy combination of carrion crawler & bag of holding?

19. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] How about a group based on the almost-horrible D&D movie that recently hit theaters like a lump of crap hitting the wall.

Really Bad Lead Actor (Human Male Swashbuckler)
    Thank God for Marlon Wayans (Human Male Rogue)
    Just-One-Expression Girl (Human Female Wizard)
    Sterotypical Dwarf (Dwarf Male Barbarian)
    Tuvok-As-A-Girl (Elf Female Archer)
    Princess Wooden Deliveria (Human Female Inquisitor)

[This message has been edited by Neverworlder (edited December 30, 2000).]

20. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

What about lexx?

Kai: Lawfull neutral figther
    Xev: Neutral good Skald
    Stan: Chaotic neutral 0-level wimp
    His Shadow: Lawfull evil sorcerer
    Lyekka: Chaotic neutral figther
    790: Chaotic neutral..uhm...decapitated head

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.