1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thief tips

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Z-Layrex, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] I'm playing with a Female Elven thief. She's Chaotic Neutral and uses dual Daggers. I'm on chapter one and have just done every quest in Blacklake (I think that's the name). This is the only District other than the core, that I have been to. Just a few questions:

Where is the first place I can buy/find Daggers +1 or better?

Will my thief ever get a hood in any outfit. I'm wearing Studded leather +1 and there's no hood, i've seen other thieves with hoods, how does my character get one?

Enemys see me while I'm walking around in stealth.

Any items lying around that'd be good for a thief?

Thanks.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've found a couple of daggers +1 just as loot. There's one armorer in the docks that sells a lot of +1 equipment.

Improve your Hide and Move Silently skills, and they won't see you as easily.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited June 30, 2002).]

3. Syrel Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

my Ranger is real good at sneaking around now no-one ever sees me :)
    even if a bump into them LOL

i have a +15 to stealth with my items

you may want to use a short sword though if you are thief cause you can get a really nice short sword made for you from the smith in chap 1 in the basement of the smith there is a guy that will make stuff for you if you have the right ingrediants. he will give you a book that tells you which ingrediants are needed to make what. I'm not sure if he will custom make a dagger for you but you can check there :D

4. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I didn't find a dagger +2 until chapter 2. There are some +1 short swords and rapiers in chapter 1, and you might want to use those until you find a dagger. Elf's get a bonus with rapiers I believe. I am assuming that you have taken weapon finess as a feat, that way you can use your dex bonus to hit with small and some medium(ie rapier) weapons. There ARE some great hoods in the game, but I won't spoil that for you. BTW, I'm playing an elf rogue/mage. Have FUN!

5. Rael Elrohim Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Elves dont get a bonus with a rapier, I dont think, they just get basic proficiency

Not that i care, my elven cleric/fighter uses a Harbinger Kin Broadsword ;)

6. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

There's a store in the Docks district where you can find all magical equipment (Twenty in a Quiver?), including a Dagger +1.

If I remember correctly from playing around with the toolset, the only way to have a hood actual appear on your character is through the choices for a 'head' when customising their appearance. But I think it's only an option for certain female types. Other than that, I've seen a couple of thieves hoods in the game, but they're actually helmets called hoods, and look like it.

One of the most useful items I've found for my thief (bard really) are Thieve's Tools that give bonuses for the Open Locks skill. 'Course, I'm still only in chapter one ;)

7. Sol'Kanar Guest

Elves don't get a bonus on their weapons, that's old school. They get bonus proficiency in some swords and bows. Only light weapons, a catagory that includes rapiers, can be used with weapon finesse. The reason for that should be obious.

8. Sekhmentet Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, wether elves get a bonus or not the best two weapons combo for an elf thief, is rapier in main, shortsword in off. I spent quite some time testing :p (with the weapon finess feat that is)

[This message has been edited by Sekhmentet (edited June 30, 2002).]

9. Ganz Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I am currently Rogue(3)/Wizard(5) and have completed the Peninsula and Beggar’s Nest districts. I am halfway through the Docks.

As for equipment for thieves, here’s what I have found so far:
    1. Lesser Amulet of the Master (not too sure of the name) adds to thief skills can be bought from Aribeth.
    2. Thief’s hood, again augmenting thief skills, can be purchased from Twenty-in-a-Quiver in the Docks. I am saving my money for that next. (By the way, the storekeeper sells a nice Magic Bag that reduces weight of contents to zero, for close to 3400 gold pieces).
    3. The dwarven smith in the Shining Knights basement (City Core) can forge a nifty Fey Sword if you provide a Short Sword+1, some fairy dust and 500 gold pieces.

I checked the smith’s recipe book and too bad, there’s no recipe to improve daggers or even quarterstaffs, for that matter. He is able to work on improving studded leather+1, though, but I haven’t the urge to try that as it interferes with my spellcasting. A pure thief would find that useful, methinks.

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually that's Leather Armor + 1 (total AC of 3 which includes the + 1) and it gives you back a piece of heavy armor. Rather a disappointment for me, I just had to sell the thing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.