1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tips for a solo mage?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Strife, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Strife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Hello everyone.

I have recently dualled my berserker to a mage.. and now my character is level 11, still some time away from regaining his fighter abilities. I'm soloing the game and thus I have no tank.. and so I'd like some of your opinions on how to fight enemies as a solo mage effectively, especially when there's a lot of them and they surround you, and you can only cast spells one at a time, heh.

Well, thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by Strife (edited July 09, 2001).]

2. ayecapitan Guest

Massive mind-influecing spells, goodly timed abjurations, sunfire, fireball & lightning(with protection from respective elements)
    Magic Missile... and try not to get inside huge mobs of vile enemies ;)

Nay, you dont need robe of Vecna! Its a vile and alien item :rolleyes:

[This message has been edited by ayecapitan (edited July 09, 2001).]

3. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Summoning Spells would be a must so your enemies will have something else to attack while you cast your spells. Also, area of effect spells like cloudkill etc, just try not to kill your own summonings. I would also try and keep the wands you find charged by selling them when they get low and buying them back. One last tip, you need the robe of vecna if you don't have it allready, it reduces your casting time.

4. Silvershade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

A good thing to do is to sout ahead thirst, with (improved) invisibility, and then cast area spells (web, fireball, cloudkill). And when you get your fighter abilities back you will be really powerful indeed.

/edit

Sorry Baldak, I was still typing when you posted.

[This message has been edited by Silvershade (edited July 09, 2001).]

5. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Buy lots of healing potions and oils of speeds.

6. Zaragoth Guest

Use immunity to normal/magical weapons and summon different things.

[This message has been edited by Zaragoth (edited July 09, 2001).]

7. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Keeping in mind your low level I recommend the "Web & Spider Spawn" combo. You need to depend on summoned monsters for the somewhat tougher fights.

8. Lestatpoet Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Any reason you didn't dual after 9th level?
    After you get the hit points, the fighter doesn't add too much to the dual, and you get your abilities back much faster.

9. ayecapitan Guest

Btw,
    "Low-level crowd buster for lone mages"
    Requpments:
    • Low-intelligence monsters (Hobgoblin, Goblin, Gnoll, Orc, other bipedal humanoids and/or animals, not Halflings) in quantities of 5+
    • Spells - Protection from Fire, Invisibility, Fireball (2+ for better result). Haste - optional
    Usage
    Consequently cast Protection from Fire and Invisibility. Perform entrance into the group of monsters (the tighter they are situated, the better it is). Come up to near-intimate distance to the monster in the middle. Perform casting of fireball on monster/yourself. See them burn!
    -Chalsedone Chton, Halfling Diviner and Entertainer

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] At 13th level fighters get ½ additional attack/round. He also gets one or two extra proficiency points, but the value of those are minimal, because you get enough anyway.
    IMHO in BG2 (without ToB) it's better to dual fighter/cleric at 9th level. At max level that character will have a better priest THAC0 than fighter THAC0, so the almost the only reason to go for 13th level instead of 9th is to get the extra attack.

11. Strife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Well.. I have ToB and I installed it, and since the xp cap is raised to 8 million points.. I guessed that I'd have some fun with a warrior.

My character is actually a level 18th berserker dualled to mage now.. I'm soloing the game and I find that being a puny level 12 mage is really quite tough, sigh.

Well thanks for all the tips.. oh yes, any reason why certain monsters can detect me even when I'm using the Staff of the Magi? Is it one of their innate abilities?

12. Trunculo Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

There are several critters that can spot you even if you are invis and wearing cloak of non-detection. I'll probably slaughter the spelling, but kuo-tuoas leap readily to mind (they were a big PIA for my solo thief). Some of the liches also seem not to mind the fact that you are supposed to be invisible. There are others as I recall.

13. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I would suggest going Dual Class right before you gain the Quest exp points from completing big quests... like.. you could kill all the trolls in the De`Arnise keep and then leave by the secret door to do another big quest like Trademeet Druid quest and not ask Cernd or any of your Druid characters to go fight the current great druid yet... get all these quests prepared to cashed in.. you cant store so many otherwise you wont get that high in Lvl for ur berserker anyway... so just keep one or two quests aside first... then dual class and cash in.. should give u an advantage

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.