1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tips for F/M/T - how do you play with it?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Jurts, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, I read some of the topics on F/M/T on this very same page, but they don't really answer my questions.

First of all, I'm not soloing - I'm taking my romantic interest with me, hehe (wild guesses as to whoever that may be...)

How should I go about the body armor - obviously I cannot cast spells in while wearing it, and I cannot re-equip it in battle. So do you cast the magical protections before battle, then put up armor, or not use body armor at all and rely solely on stoneskin, ghost armor, etc... ?

Any other tactical tips would be welcome, especially those regarding thieving abilities... I have little experience with thieves aside Jan Jansen...

Thanks in advance :)

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hail Jurts, I'm experienced both with a Fighter/Mage (good guy) and a Fighter/Thief (evil bastard), so I can offer some perspective on the Fighter/Mage/Thief.

Tactics wise, the F/M/T can be used for monster magnet tactics. By this I mean, he can be layered up with all sorts of defensive spells so as to be practically indestructible. He lets the monsters come to him. The rest of the party blasts away with spells and missile weapons at a safe distance.

I'll provide two examples:

Vampires - equip the Amulet of Power, layer on Stoneskin, Blur, Mirror Image, and Chaotic Commands (from your Cleric), and the Vampires will be toast.

Liches and other high-powered spell casters - My character wears the Cloak of Mirroring. I then have the character layer onto himself Spell Shield (to block Breach or whatever else), Spell Immunity: Abjuration (for Imprisonment), and Protection from Petrification (for Flesh to Stone). The cleric adds on Chaotic Commands and Free Action for good measure. The Lich, if you play your cards right, exhausts his whole repertoire harmlessly.

The Sunfire spell adds an extra dimension to these sorts of tactics.

Since its a Fighter/Mage/Thief, also look for items that let you go invisible and therefore backstab. e.g. Ring of Gaxx.

Recommended equipment:

Vhailor's Helm
    Amulet of Power
    Celestial Fury + The Equalizer (for SofA)
    Flail of Ages or The Answerer + Hindo's Doom (for TOB)
    Bladesinger Chain (allows both spellcasting and thieving)
    Cloak of Mirroring
    Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise
    Ring of Gaxx (also has invisibility power)
    Ring of Acuity or Ring of Wizardry
    Golden Girdle
    Boots of Speed (the doubled movement rate compensates for not being able to use missile weapons as a dual-wielding character)

Bladesinger Chain won't be found till late, so get the Bracers of Defence from Ribald in the meantime.

P.S.:

As to your romantic interest, check out my reply to the "Best Ending" thread/poll. I'm sure you'll agree wholeheartedly.

[ March 05, 2003, 10:36: Message edited by: Beren ]

3. Jurts Gems: 7/31

Thanks, Beren,

That'll help, I'm sure

P.S. Indeed, I agree:)

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I just started to solo a half-elf f/m/t.
    He can cast protective spells, use thief skills and fight. My current stats are 19/18/18/18/10/20.

Use him/her as a backup mage/fighter and as a thief.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    While Beren gave a pretty comprehensive response, some things to consider: If you are playing a two character party with, I assume, Jaheira, you will be ahead of the curve on magic and experience even with the triple class. You probably are going to relegate your character to being, essentially, a F/T with perks (pre-fight buffing, etc.). Therefore, I'd suggest getting the shadow dragon armor as soon as possible and wearing it for most fights. You can rely on the Bracers AC3 for fights where you really are going to need your magic. However, a timely backstab will usually take out the mage that will require you to use your own magic, so do not undervalue the cloak of non-detection or some other version of that spell.

Also, load up spell triggers with web spells and the like and use the ring of free action. Use contingencies to reapply stoneskins (at, say, 50% of hit points). You will be amazed at how little in-fight magic this character actually needs to use (hence the shadow dragon armor). By the time you get the Bladesinger chain, it's almost unnecessary. Also, you can opt for the robe of vecna for some AC benefit and killer speed on spells, depending on how much magic you want your character to be using in the battles.

As for the thief abilities, I suggest loading up on "traditional" thief functions like finding and removing traps and unlocking things. You can then work on stealth. Just remember that there are a host of items that give some form of invisibility from rings, to potions, etc., so stealth isn't really that crucial early on. Also, there are ridiculous amounts of potions of master thievery around, so you can jack up your pickpocket skills and then steal even more of them from unsuspecting storekeepers (somewhat absurd, but hey, it's in the game). I actually work on detect illusion before stealth anyway, as I hate wasting slots on such things as true sight.

6. Jurts Gems: 7/31

Thanks, dmc, that was all very helpful :)

A couple of sort of nnobish questions:

Does the ToB 8 mio experience cap works the same as SoA 2,95 cap did?

I mean for a tripple class - 2,66 mio in each is the cap, for multi - 4 mio in each seperate class?

Or is it 8 mio cap in each seperate class?

What I'm wondering is - F/M/T won't be getting the high level abilities then, right?

Another one - never played a multi before, how is the stronghold assigned? The one you do as first? I want Planar Sphere to get the golden girdle, but I will be doing Nalia's keep prior to that... is there a solution that don't require cheating?

TIA

7. Stone Wolf Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You can do Nalia's Keep first and still get the Planar Stronghold as long as you don't talk to Nalia after you clear the keep--or at least not until you've been granted the Sphere. As a bonus, I think you can still get the Keep if you go back and talk to Nalia after you get the Sphere, thus gaining two strongholds.

8. Jurts Gems: 7/31

That also means missing out on the reward for clearing the keep (at least for time being), sadly - and that's a lot of exp and gold.

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    While the cap works the same as in SOA, you do get HLA's anyway, as it uses the aggregate experience rather than per-class to award HLA's (as opposed to dual classing, where, essentially, the experience from the first class goes away for purposes of awarding HLA's).

You will not get Mage HLA's without a patch/fix (no 9th level spells available to the character).

As for strongholds, the previous advice is correct. If you want to get multiple strongholds, there are several methods, including one of the Weimar mods, that will let you do it without going through the loophole machinations described above. Given that there's really no logical reason to limit your strongholds, I'd suggest modding it so you don't have to wait until you complete the planar sphere before you talk again to Nalia, but that's up to you.

10. the assassin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

F/M/Ts will be completely support by the end of the game. (except for the thief) Just checking...do HLAs come at thier designated levels or at the 3 mill experience mark? I forgot which one it was...

11. Greystar Gems: 7/31

The FMT has some of the best HLA in the game, plus they can cast spell (up to level 8 with TOB)

Imagine this: Assassination + Use Any Ability + 4(?) att/round + Improved haste + Time Trap (it DOES stack) --> death to everything (except some of the toughest monster in the game)

FMT rulez

12. InquisitorX Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

"Imagine this: Assassination + Use Any Ability + 4(?) att/round + Improved haste + Time Trap (it DOES stack) --> death to everything (except some of the toughest monster in the game)

FMT rulez"

The only way a FMT can get HLAs is with an experience cap remover, which is a cheat.

13. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

No, InquisitorX, you get your first HLAs when your total experience is 3 millions.

14. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

I generally play a FMT mostly as a stealthy thief with a great THACO, defensive spells, a summoned army, and offensive wands. At high levels, it's hard to beat a backstab with Celestial Fire followed by greater whirlwind. Or how about assassination with a potion of speed and dual-wielding? Instant invisibility with the staff of the Magi is also great in combo with a wand of cloudkill. And a character that can do all this? Look out!

For your abilities, go for low strength and charisma since you can get girdles of giant strength and a ring of human influence to max out these. Don't skimp on Dexterity--you're better off wearing bracers of defense than bracers of dexterity, or bracers of weapon expertise if you like to put on armor.

As a thief you can use potions of master thievery to steal all kinds of stuff, then sell it, steal it, sell it steal it, etc. to Gorch in the docks, and elsewhere. Get your money from Gorch, shop on the Promenade, give your $15,000 to the Shadow thieves, and you can be equipped with the following within a couple hours of escaping Irenicus' dungeon:

Bracers of defense AC 3
    Ring of Protection +2
    Amulet of Power
    Vhailor's Helm (make sure to equip all your valuable items with limited charges before you simulacrum -- scrolls of protection from undead or magic, staff of fire, etc.)
    Robe of Vecna
    Mercykiller Ring
    Girdle of Hill Giant Strength
    Tower Shield (or whatever it's name is, it's +3, and +7 vs. missle weapons)
    Shield of Reflection (permanent physical mirror when equipped, for when you are taking missile fire and you're not in melee).
    Shield of Balduran (for beholders)
    Sword of Balduran (for beholders -- to keep you from panicking when they cast fear/horror)
    +2 weapon of your choice, or memorize the 4th level spell enchanted weapon and get yourself a +3 longsword every day (perfect for FMT, especially if you're an elf)
    Strong arm longbow is nice (requires girdle above), or take proficiencies in axe (so you can throw them) since you can get pretty good magic ones in the game, they do great damage if you're strong, and you can use a shield with them
    Plus, all the wands you got from Irenicus' dungeon (sell them, then steal them back fully charged).

Also kill the lich in the inn in the gate district and get all his wands, plus Daystar, which will do over 1,000 hp damage to all undead within range once per day with its supercharged sunray.

Unless you install the tactical packages, you can kill almost anything in the game with a wand of cloudkill, including golems, mindflayers, beholders, etc. At this point your most important thieving skill will be stealth to make sure you're not caught when you sneak around to find the best place to center the cloud.

Steal all the scrolls you can and memorize all the spells for the experience, using potions of genius to make sure you don't waste any.

Go into the temple district sewer and kill the jerks in the top section of the map -- get a nice +2 throwing axe. Also kill the Rakshasa and take its cloak to better your AC.

Add the Ring of Gaxx in the afternoon (easiest way to take out liches is with scrolls of protection from undead -- they ignore you while you kill them). Buy/steal three or four scrolls of protection from undead, and this is a walk in the park.

By the time you take your first nap, you will have gained many levels and you'll be equipped with enough junk to get you through almost anything you'll encounter for the rest of the game. I once set sail for Spellhold on day 3, and that was after lounging around a bit and getting a stronghold. Bear in mind, though, that once you're equipped with all this stuff, the game isn't so challenging unless you play on insane and add some tactical mods. About the only thing that can stop you is "stun" effects, for which I know no way to get immunity early in the game (later, with "use any item," you can get Mazzy's sword and solve this problem). Don't use armor, as it prevents you from casting mirror image and stoneskin in the middle of combat, and sometimes one contingency just isn't enough.

15. Jurts Gems: 7/31

Heh, we hit the three million exp mark in spellhold already... I'm now confused with the larg amount of HLA I can pick... I picked assassination as first, hmmm... pondering about that GW... does assassination makes it absolete or should I still invest in it?

Anyways, what do my fellow F/M/T's pick?

16. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I have greater Whirldwind (4 times), Assasination (2 times), Hardiness and Evasion/Greater Evasion.

Chapter 3
    Fighter lvl 16
    Mage lvl 15
    Thief lvl 19

A real killer with STONESKIN!

GW IS useful.
    You take Stoneskins off with it.

[ March 12, 2003, 10:11: Message edited by: Taza ]

17. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Assasination with a Fighter/Mage/Thief with a high strength score is positively lethal in the extreme! All the more so when it's a dual-wielding character under the effect of an Improved Haste spell (via Ring of Gaxx).

But ...

There is something that you need to be aware of. Monsters that couldn't be backstabbed (golems, beholders, demons, dragons, etc.) remain immune to Assasination. Keep some GWs in your deck as well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.