1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

To Continue With DragonLance

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Frog, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Ok, I'm nearing the end of DragonLance Chronicles and want to know if I should continue on to Legends. Personally the books are pretty good, nothing too great. Does Legends get any better? I mainly need to decide if I should continue with this series. Please no spoilers. I just want feedback.

2. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

If Rastlan and Caramon are your favorite charcters from Chronicles, then you'll love it as it gives closure to their story (It includes Tasselhoff, of course as he seems to find his way into every dragonlance novel ever) but otherwise it is a liitle tedious. To be honest I never even finished the trilogy because it just didn't capture Caramon, my favorite character, in the light I thought he should. It focused more on Rastlain and to be honest that character infuriated me.

In summary, go for it if you truly thought that Chronicles was worth the read, but if you have even a lingering shadow of a doubt then you might not even be able to finish it. But I should admit that I do plan on finishing the series sometime. Well if this tells you anything I'll be surprised.

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The Legends trilogy is pretty good. It focuses on the twins, Caramon and Raistlin, like what Irreligous said. The rest of the companions take a background role. Tanis plays a slightly bigger part at the end but nothing much.

Personally, I preferred Legends over Chronicles. Most of the other companions were boring and annoying anyway. Tanis? Wimp. Sturm? Dead and serves the self-righteous fool right. Flint? Stereotypical dwarf, only old and dead. Riverwind? Yawn. Goldmoon? Yawn too. Kitiara? Not so bad. She plays a slightly bigger part in Legends than the rest. Laurana? Annoying little tramp.

Caramon and Raistlin are the two most interesting characters in the series.

But it starts to go slightly downhill after Legends. Second Generation, Summer Flame and the War of Souls Trilogy are average reads at best.

4. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Shura, you give the latter DL books too much credit. They are pices of SHIZIT to say the least. I nearly vomitted after reading Summer Flame, which was the best, and I actually did vomit after reading 2nd generation books. I agree Caramon and Raistlan where the only characters with real depth aside from Theros the Smith. The best DL books though are The Legend of Huma and Kaz the Minotaur.

5. Rathanel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I would like to say that all of the books by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman in DL are worth a read, but I have to agree with the projectile vomiting over the latter books. They did not in any way add to the tapestry of DL, and the events depicted were almost boring. The characters were pale imitations of the original nine, and those few left were out of their prime and, frankly, weak in spirit. They did not arouse any feelings in me other than a faint pity.
    For instance, Steel is a cheap imitation of Sturm, and Palin a cheap imitation of Raistlin. They go through the same issues and crises, yet they somehow fail to leave any real impression.
    Stick with Chronicles and Legends, and possibly the Meetings Sextet (skip the one with Sturm, it's utter crap). Soulforge is also pretty good, but then, Raist is by far the best character in DL.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.