1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Toughness

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Blind Dog, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Blind Dog Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I am finding that in HOW I am casting spell protections for every character prior to every fight, literally the monsters are just too tough! My characters (3) are all dual classed w/ 100HP+ each, level 11&12 in their second classes, yet the monsters flatten them every time. Lots and lots of reloads.

How tough do you need to be before you venture off the beaten path and into the old heart of winter?

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] All my guys were level 14 before I went into HoW, I had quite a bit of difficulty in the burial grounds with the animal spirits and the wailing virgin + drowned dead combos, but after the burial isle, the game got kinda easier. Nice storyline though.. :)

3. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Yes, Burial Isle was brutal to my 4 person party, IIRC they were levels 10-11 when they got there. What really helped me out was casting the 'prayer' or 'recitation' cleric spells and the 'courage' mage spell in combo. After each battle I also regrouped and determended if I had enough healing and bless-type spells to move on or if should I risk resting.

Also, from the magic user in the tower, I bought the ring that gives a mage double the amount of 5th level spells and the 5th level 'Sunburst' spell (think that's what it was called). I then casted improved invisiblity and wandered around the area; picked my fights wisely and started the fight by casting sunburst in the middle of the toughest or the most monsters and running back to the rest of my party. I even skipped one battle (with the polar bear & co.) until I had leveled up a bit.

4. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

My characters are around 10-12 level...six character party...

Can I Play HOw in Insane mode or is it too much...

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Christ... I was level 14 when I started and I had a difficult time, I would have hated to be in the burial isle in your place...no offense intended, was merely illustrating how hard a time you musta had ;) Really sux though, how I wasn't able to get the HoW weapons from Kulduhar.. <sigh>

6. Blind Dog Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have a 3 person party F/C(9/11) F/D (9/12) and T/illusionist(11/12)

It is manageable, but hard work. A lot of rest and the ring from the mage in the tower is a must, with six 5th level spells you can really cause some havoc.

I usually have my druid start battles against friendlies by castnig sol's searing orb(like the polar bear or the wailing chick, when you agree to walk, they reamin friendly) 50+ HP damage right off the bat, and then as soon as they summon their crew, have the invisible illusionist do a sunburst. At this point I run, cover my tracks with spike stones, spiky plants and web, and bomb from afar with fireballs.

Most of the work is done through spellcasting though. I say I run because next to the wailing chick (boss) there is a trasure chest (not trapped), there is an item you need before you head north up the stairs that will net you 420,000 exp + 280,000 exp for finding Hjollener (spelling).

Easy level up for all.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.