1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tradeoff: AC, saving throws or resistances?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sir Rechet, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Which one of the three is most important?

AC is pretty self-explanatory, but since I've gone the way of dual-wielding and maximum offense, I'm only reaching single-digit minuses. Is this worth anything against most of the monsters?

Or should I concentrate more on resistances and saving throws?

2. Xen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I would say concentratre on resistances and saving throws. AC is not that important becuase youi can buff to gills. Now Gnomes get the best saving throwes bonuses. (So do Dwarves)

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    For which stage of the game are you planning?

From my experience, AC is very important at the beginning, because no matter how much you improve your saves things like Chaos and Dire Charm will work against you anyway.

By chapter 6, or once you get to the higher levels, your saves will be so good anyway (just because of level up) that almost no spell that allows saves will worry you anyway. AC on the other hand can only be improved with equipment, and some melee enemies hit hard (drows can be pretty nasty).

I'd go for the resistances, because they are the one thing that is important at the beginning and at the end. I always take Viconia because her magic resistance can get to 80% with the right items, and when it does she's practically immune to 4/5th of the spells that get cast at her.

4. Shadow Steele

Shadow Steele Still hiding in the shadows all night

Just use a monk and you are immune to almost everything by the time you are through the game.

5. Sir Rechet

Going the way of upping resistances produced a nice tank - Jaheira has currently over 100% resistance to both fire and electricity.

This also opened up a totally new method of monster removal.. I had her equip Boots of Speed and run about a screenlength ahead of the rest of the party. When I see monsters approaching, Jaheira charges in and gathers a nice clump of enemies around her.

Finish off with a triple fireball in a spell sequencer. Nice'n'crisp monsters while Jaheira heals a couple of hit points. :p

6. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Saving Throws are very important later on. Being able to save against many of the incapacitating spells is crucial.

Resistances are very useful, but depend largely on who you are fighting at the time. You need different equipment setups to make this work best.

AC can be good. I had Korgan with -13AC and -17AC with the Bard song, but he would still take a hell of a beating. Anything that can reduce physical damage would be very nice indeed.

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Getting your enemies down is more important than trying to avoid their attacks.
    Once I have -5AC on my front-line meleers and -1AC on the rest I stop bothering about it and conentrate on the killing part.

IIRC the short races get a Con bonus to their saves. Too bad this game does not allow you to make dwarven paladins. I often end up sending Keldron to fight the elder-orbs with the others provideing ranged and spell support. Saving throws become far more important as compared to AC in such fights.

You already have found out how to use elemental resistances to your benefit :D

8. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Resistances, then saving throws.

A save will stop you getting killed or reduce the damage. Resistances will prevent you from having to make a save or taking damage in the first instance.

AC is not as important, but hey, I've said my piece on this enough times. The only time AC is truly paramount is against Illithids, and even then, it's secondary to saves and resistances/immunity to psionics.

9. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Xen: Dwarves get better saving throws than Gnomes.

1) both saving throw bonuses are based off of CON, which the Dwarf gets +1 to during character creation.

2) Dwarves get a bonus vs. magic and poison, it's only vs. magic for Gnomes.

10. Sir Rechet

I'm a bit torn between Vhailor's Helm and Helm of Defence for Minsc/Keldorn..

I haven't been able to get that Vhailor's Simulacrum to work properly, probably due to having Minsc on a script that makes him attack before that special effect gets completed.

Ideas?

11. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Helm of Defence I would say. or another helm that protects against taking damage.

Vhailor's is best used on some type of spell caster (F/M, F/C, C/M, etc, etc).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.