1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Traps and chests

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by The Great Snook, Aug 5, 2004.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well it has taken me two months to get back to this game. I have NW Gold and am going through the original campaign. I am currently using the bard as my NPC and my character is a fighter. I'm in the docks and half the time I find either a chest or a trap she seems to be more interested in shooting arrows at them then disarming the trap or opening the chest. Is this because she doesn't have the levels yet to open/disarm them?

I also want to confirm that I don't have to do anything to level her up. Does she level up when I do?

I also keep expecting to see her sing or do some bard like things. Maybe I'm just overanxious and she needs to be out of chapter 1 to do anything. At this point I'm thinking about trying someone else. Any thoughts?

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I for one never liked Sharwin. I always took Tomi (excellent backup) or Linu (good backup tank and great for healing) in the original campaign. And I too almost exclusively play a tank in NWN. I'm too impatient to be sneaky and I hate running out of spells/resting contantly too much to be a mage.

I'd say either go with Tomi (he can open most anything, or disarm most anything) or Linu (she's good at helping you bash things open, and can heal you when you absorb trap damage).

If you don't want Tomi or Linu, you may have to speak to Sharwin and talk to her about what to do with traps. Maybe bards don't have lockpick as a class skill. I don't believe they do. Same goes for her singing, too. You have to speak to her and set up her AI. This includes when she sings.

Regardless, if you're a fighter with decent strength, just bash every chest you come across. Some may take a little longer than others, but it's just as easy as anything. Doors, too.

As for leveling up your henchmen, they level up when you do, and stay one level below you. Always.

I think you'd do well do ditch Sharwin. Pitch the bit...*ahem* er...fine young lady. :D

3. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Bashing the chests, in general, takes less time than lock picking anyway.

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    What do you need to bash? Is it strictly based on strength or does the weapon matter. I'm currently using smaller faster weapons. If I need a bashing weapon I'll carry around an axe or something.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In my original campaign, I played an Elven fighter with a long sword. I was able to bash open pretty much everything. Strength is the key, and magical weapons help. Your ability to bash something open rests on the damage you can do to work through the object's damage resistance, and then it's hit points (yes, inanimate objects have hitpoints...who knew?). Critical hits are very helpful, so if you're using the weapon you have a focus with, have a high strength, and some form of enchantment, you should be able to bash virtually anything.

With my elf, I even bashed open those stone coffins in the graveyard catacombs area after a minute or so of persistant bashing. That might be a waste of time to some people, because game-essential items are never in bashable chests, but hey - I'm a loot junky. I get the most enjoyment from finding and hording all the stuff you find.

6. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

A weapon with elemental damage is a bonus to bashing chests as well, as the damage ignores the damage resistance.

Best case scenario, is a bow or missle weapon with elemental damage, then you don't even have to worry about traps.

7. Garmaniya Artemista Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Sharwin does have bardsong, at least when I used her later in the game. She sang automatically at the start of a battle, and all of my stats skyrocketed. After that, she was just an average mage with a few decent spells, and she rarely inflicted much weapon damage. As for chests and traps, I too use elemental ranged weapons to insure damage and avoid traps. Other than that, Tomi really can pick almost anything but I don't think bards can. They have pickpocket but not lockpick or disarm.

My second run through the game, I played as a thief myself, and I found it ten times easier to be a thief than any other class I had played or have since played (cleric, fighter, ranger, sorcerer). If traps frustrate you, be a thief. Then you never have to worry!

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well now I feel better. I thought she just wouldn't sing for me. Now I just have to decide if I want to download the beta patch. I'm running on NW Gold so I don't have HotU installed. I may just have to go out and buy it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.