1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Treadmill? Thoughts and experience

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Death Rabbit, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The wife and I are seriously considering getting one. We know the one we want - the Sole F80 - it's right in our price range, has all the features we want and is at the top of a half dozen "best buy" lists for home treadmills. We're not really gym people (I find them to be a huge pain in the ass), and I'd like to be able to roll out of bed in the morning and hop on the treadmill for about 30 minutes before work. I have a home gym set up in a spare bedroom (freeweights, pull-up bar, bouncy sit-up ball thing).

Just curious about others who've owned them, do you think they're worth it, etc. Just general opinions and feedback. The F80 is $1500, and from what I hear, they're hard to sell if you decide you don't want one any more. Plus there's the space issue (though the F80 is the fold-up kind).

TIA

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have found that stationary running-type devices go unused in general after a short period of time. They are just too boring and if you are not running somewhere, you don't have to get back to where you started, so it's too easy to just stop.

Roll out of bed and go for a nice run outside :)

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you plant the thing in front of a TV and use it when you are watching what you would watch anyway, you have a chance of using it beyond the time when the "new" wears off*. Otherwise, it's a complete waste of money.

*this is a variable time period dependent on each person's motivation levels, boredom capacity, and the dawning realization that, unlike the gym, when you are on a machine at home, there are no hotties in tight shorts or leggings walking by suggestively at random intervals to take your mind off the aforementioned boredom.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This is precisely the idea, actually. There are several shows I like to watch - Dexter, Mad Men, Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, True Blood, House, Law & Order - plenty of shows, most DVR'd. Plus I have NetFlix, which currently has all 9 season's of the excellent No Reservations streaming right now. And I could watch the History Channel all day long. TVs at the gym don't really offer the programming I enjoy, and audio-only entertainment hasn't really done the trick.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    TV watching never did it for me, especially recorded stuff. I had a cheap elliptical exercise machine and tried getting over the boredom with TV, but it was annoyingly noisy (and it didn't have a motor like a treadmill), and it's a pain to use a remote (to skip those rotten boring commercials) while trying to exercise.

Maybe you'll be different, but I've known and heard of a lot of people whose treadmills turn into clothes hangers.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  6. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Yeah, me too - and that's what I DON"T want. My problem is, I just need some kind of exercise activity I can do and enjoy on a regular basis. Biking didn't work, going for a neighborhood run has never interested me, and exercise videos become extremely boring once I've memorized them (3 viewings are all it takes, and the annoying motivational comments by the host become nails on a chalkboard). I figure that with some kind of machine I can use while watching my favorite shows (something I'll always do anyway) is my best bet. And to be honest, I really need to do something, as I have a sedentary job, 1.5 hours a day in the car, and I really need to move around more.

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Well, that's certainly to be encouraged, but if a neighborhood run has never interested you, I don't think a treadmill is the thing for you... A neighborhood run is more interesting, and as I mentioned in the first post, if you run somewhere, you can't just give up whenever you want... you have to get back home. :)

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I can think of several additions to your home gym that you'd probably get more use out of that cost significantly less than $1500. I know at least a dozen people with treadmills/elliptical machines/ski machines, and NONE OF THEM USE THEM REGULARLY. If you do want something along those lines, you can get an elliptical machine for a fraction of that cost. It just seems to me that it's a significant outlay of money for something that you're not sure about.

9. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Well, that's why I post threads like this. This is kind of confirming my doubts. I may have to figure something else out. One thing is a rowing machine, which I hear is a much better total-body workout and much, much cheaper. Still, it may end up a dust collector too. Ida know. I'll keep thinking I guess. Ho hum.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    You have to find something that motivates you. If you can find some kind of machine/routine that you not only enjoy, but has something that allows you to record progress, that would work best. If you're recording progress (especially if you have someone else looking at it like your wife) that can be a powerful motivator not to skip workouts and not to quit early.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I know you don't like videos, but I will throw out P90X as an idea. I do the wokrouts every night, but since I record my progress on worksheets, I never actually have to put the videos in - once you learn the routine you can watch TV and do other things like you would do with a treadmill.

If you're ONLY interested in calorie burning, you wouldn't have to do all the weight training ones, and stick to the following videos: Cardio, Plyometrics, Kenpo, and Yoga. Not only are they all great aerobic workouts, but by having four of them, there's some variety, as you can alternate and not do the same workout EVERY.... SINGLE.... DAY....

12. Death Rabbit

Media:
    You know, that's a great idea - and I feel like a dumbass for not having thought of that. I actually have the P90X videos, but again, stopped watching them because the main guy is cock-punch worthy after 3-4 viewings (Pam, we call her Blam! :bang: ). You know what I mean.

That said - once you write it down, you know the routine, and I always go till I collapse anyway. I'll give that a shot. Thanks dawg.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    One more thing on P90X - if you order through ESPN which is promoting the series, you can get the entire set for (I think) about $100. Quite a smaller dent in your wallet if you end up not using it.

However, all the workouts I listed require 45-60 minutes to complete, so it's not something you can do in 20 minutes in the morning.

EDIT: DOH! Posted while you were posting - so you already know all this.

EDIT2: If you want to PM me your e-mail address, I can send the word docs I use to record my progress - it will save you the time to make them up on your own...

14. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Why not WII? There's lots of games/programs that are sports/exercise oriented.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    In addition to having to purchase the Wii, you also need that sensor pad thing to step on for a lot of them - cheaper than a treadmill to be sure - but not exactly an inexpensive option.

16. Death Rabbit

Media:
    I do have a Wii, just not the balance board thing. Not a bad idea, though. I've never tried a fitness game before.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Death Rabbit - I do a lot of running and I hang out (in real life and online). And they ALL (and I mean ALL) think treadmills are the most boring form of torture. Their nickname for it is the Dreadmill. Many of them do have treadmills, but only out of necessity, to get through iced up winters, or to be able get a run in while looking after kids.

So, if you really do you think you might want one, I would suggest hiring one for a couple of weeks to see how you get on.

18. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Yeah, I think I'm going to pass on getting a treadmill now. Too expensive, and I think it'll end up a clothes rack.

I don't think I need it, anyway. I'm going to rotate the P90X cardio routines, as Aldeth suggested, and a friend of mine is giving me her VersaClimber, which she never uses (I have no illusions about how difficult they can be, but I consider that a good thing). Considering the source of my ailments (sitting all day), those two avenues will probably be the best for me. And they're both free.

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You'll burn more calories faster and get to flex the upper part of your body as well with an elliptical (and they're cheaper), but some people prefer treadmills... this is purely a matter of personal preference. Try each of them for a while somewhere (or rent, if possible) and then decide which you like more. I'd get both if space and money aren't an issue so that you can alternate and they don't get too boring too fast.

P.S.

Rowing machines are the most horribly boring piece of gym equipment ever made IMHO. But then again, most workout machines involve thousands of horribly repetitive actions, they just take a lot less space than a rowing boat...

20. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Yeah, I've had gym memberships over the years, so I've tried out (for weeks at a time) treadmills, elipticals, stair steppers, those gazelle things (which are just goofy), etc. Of those, I've had the best experiences with treadmills. I have really wide/high arches and shin splints, so jogging has always been difficult for me. The nice thing about treadmills is I can up the incline and speed-walk for a great workout, while causing minimal impact on my feet and shins. Surprisingly, eliptical trainers - which are supposed to be the lowest impact of all - made my feet hurt the most.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.