1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

trouble with BG2 multiplayer

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by rich0203, Apr 16, 2006.

1. rich0203 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Me and my roommate have been trying to play baldur's gate together. We haven't had any luck connecting. I deleted and reinstalled BG and patches on both, so there shouldn't be any differences. We still cannot get both connected. Whoever tries to join "fails to connect". I got discouraged and just tried direct connecting without the internet, since we are side by side; and still no good. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[ April 16, 2006, 13:06: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Ariyn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm interested in an answer as well. My friend and I are planning on playing a co-op game soon, so I'd like to have no problems with connecting if possible. He's never played before, but he says he has a bone to pick with the beholders ;)

Sorry for not being able to answer your question myself.

Perhaps it has something to do with the correct ports not being open.

[edit]: I found this in the powergaming readme for SoA

"Game Spy:

If you have GameSpy on your machine and don't want it to automatically
    run when starting a TCP/IP game, add the following line to your
    [GameSpy] section:

Enabled=0

If you are having problems connecting to somebody through TCP/IP, you
    may want to try disabling this option.

TCP/IP Ports:

If you want to play BGII over TCP/IP on a port other than the default,
    you can add the following line to the [Multiplayer] section:

Port=####

Be warned, it is NOT advisable to change this value unless you
    know what you're doing."

[ April 16, 2006, 02:35: Message edited by: Ariyn ]

3. rich0203 Gems: 2/31

That sounds like it may be the right direction I need to go in, but unfortunately, I don't know much about connecting.

4. loki13 Gems: 1/31

Honestly as long as I've been playin' this game, I've yet to try mutliplayer without a direct connect.
    But now my girlfriend is interested (she's in Canada) and I'm no where near her. Which obviously leaves only the internet.
    So I have no clue where to start on this so if anyone knows.... it'd be much appreciated.

P.S. the sooner someone tells me how to do this the sooner Julia stops beggin' me t'play BGII with her online. Please... someone make the whinin' stop!

5. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@rich0203 and @Ariyn: Make sure neither of you have a firewall or proxy enabled, if you have a proxy you must open the correct ports (which I do not know).

@loki13: Go to gamespyarcade.com and download Gamespy Arcade. You can then go to the Baldur's Gate 2 room to join a game, same for Throne of Bhaal. Same about the no firewall no proxy goes for you when HOSTING. If you are just joining a game then you cannot have proxy (though some firewalls cause issues too), if you do have a proxy then open the correct ports (which I do not know). You need to have SoA patched to play with others, no mods as they can cause problems.

If you want to play ToA you must have it patched as well. However, with ToA installed and patched you cannot play SoA with those that do NOT have ToA.

I used to play BG2 online ALOT before comming here and I can tell you it's 10 times much better then playing it alone!

6. rich0203 Gems: 2/31

Has anybody ever had to "open the ports" and gotten it to work? I think I did it correctly, but still not working. Go to control panel/windows firewall/open ports(BG2 and gamespy). I've done some searching and haven't found anybody that replied with an "I got it working".

7. Renma Gems: 1/31

I have a problem playing BG2 multiplayer with a friend as well. We wanted to do a co-op game, and we both got ToB+patched, and both got all the same mods, installed in the same order. When she tries to join mine or i try to join hers it wont let us. When connecting to the game, it'll time out and say cannot connect to the session. We've both tried hosting through Gamespy and MSN, and connecting directly using our IP addresses. We have the same fps rates, and it lets us join other peoples hosted games just fine. We both tried allowing BG2 with the firewalls, and then disabling them when it still didnt work, but it still came up with the cannot connect to the session message. Can anyone help me out here? btw, shes on wireless internet and im on dsl, if that matters.

8. Eldular Gems: 10/31

9. rich0203 Gems: 2/31

I tried the "open ports" method and had no luck. I recently tried using the direct connect method since it would ignore the firewalls and router, but it still wouldn't work. I was using direct parallel connection and it failed. I happened to read that BG1 and BG2 use only modem and serial versions, not parallel or USB for anybody who would like to try. I'm in the process of finding an elusive Serial-to-Serial cable that don't exist in stores anymore.

10. Eldular Gems: 10/31

Online stores are your friends!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.