1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tutu: What's the best armor for a Barbarian?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Klorox, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I'm soloing a Barbarian, and am just wondering what the best armor in BG1 with Tutu would be (aside from Drizz't's armor... I can't see a Barbarian beating him fairly).

TIA

2. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Id say the chainmail +3 that you get at the end of the Werewolf Island guest. But the Chainmail +2 from the Gullykin assassin group would be easier to get earlier on in the game.

3. Ascendency-Down Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The main danger for your Barbarian aren't other fighters or archers. You have the necessary HP to take a lot of pain, but it's usually game over for you, when you fail your saving throw against Horror, Hold Person, Confusion and so on. You should change from Chainmail +2/+3 to normal chainmail with Ring of Protection +1/+2 whenever a magic-user is near.

But as you said, the best armor for a Barbarian is Drizzt's Mithril Chainmail +4 since you can combine it with the RoP+2. With the Boots of Speed, a bow, 600 arrows and a lot of patience it could be yours without much planning. But you wanted no cheap tricks... A Fighter/Mage or - even better - Fighter/Illusionist using the best equipment and potions can beat Drizzt fair and square without breaking into sweat, but it's much tougher for a Barbarian. You have a much worse AC and no buffs like Mirror Image, Blur, Protection from Evil or Improved Invisibility - but I think it can be done.

Best equipment for this endeavor:
    - Boots of Speed
    - a strong magical weapon of your choice (Short Sword of Backstabbing would be best, but which Barbarian is specialized in short swords?)
    - Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise
    - Golden Girdle
    - Chainmail +3
    - any Shield +1
    - Helm of Balduran
    - Cloak of Balduran
    - lots of Potions of Healing

Preparation with potions before the battle:
    - two Potions of Mind Focusing to push DEX to >= 24 (12 hours)
    - Potion of Defense (10 turns) [or Invulnerability]
    - Potion of Heroism (10 turns)
    - Potion of Storm Giant Strength (10 turns)
    - Oil of Speed (5 turns)
    - Potion of Power (4 turns)

After quaffing the potions in this order your THACO should be below 0 and you'll be able to hit Drizzt without hoping for a lucky roll. On a successful hit with the SSoB you'll do around 6,5 (average of SSoB) +2 (specialization in weapon) + 12 (STR 24) + 2 (GoWE) = 22,5 damage. You'll have to hit him only five times, but problem is that he'll hit back - and I don't think that our preparations will be enough to dodge most óf his attacks. If he's able to hit you anyway, then dual-wielding and using Barbarian Rage for STR 25 would be an option. You'll have to engage melee hoping to score a hit while taking the punishment he dishes out, run away from him when your HP start melting away, use lots of Healing Potions and repeat. Recruiting NPCs just for buffing would be helpful, too.

4. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Wrong. To quote the barbarian rage thingy: "...gives immunity to all charm, hold, fear, maze, confusion and level-drain spells." Barbarians are an unbeatable force in Tutu.

5. Ascendency-Down Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Right, without difficulty-enhancing mods one Barbarian Rage with its protections is usually more than enough to rip all enemy mages to shreds. By now I got so used to the more intelligent and pre-buffed mages from the Swordcoast Stratagems-mod that I forgot for a moment that they are not standard in TUTU. Fights against SCS-mages tend to be longer since they often cast Invisibility to rebuff, so the Barbarian Rage isn't the ultimate panacea against mages anymore (but still very, very useful).

6. Klorox

It's better than Berserker Rage though. Since Barbarians don't fatigue after their Rage runs out, they can instantly activate it again if they need to.

7. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

debatable since berserker rage also gives immunity to things like maze and imprisonment :).

Then again, whichever one you choose you can always cast true seeing or see invisibility and keep going after the mage while he *tries* to rebuff. EDIT: With a mage that is, I know barbs and fighters can't cast those spells o.o

8. Klorox

Admittedly, I've never played these difficulty enhancing mods... but do I need to worry about Maze and Imprisonment in BG1?

9. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Does the answer 'Maze is a level 8 spell and this is BG1' satisfy?

10. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Nope, but since it's in the ToB forums, I'm assuming you'll play at least through SoA no? There's plenty of Maze and Imprisonment there.

11. Klorox

I'm not sure. But this is posted in the ToB forum because I'm using Tutu for BG1.

I don't claim to understand the reasoning, I just know threads get moved if you don't follow that rule.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Tutu introduces SoA and potentially ToB engine elements, to make a long story short.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.