1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

two-weapon fighting?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Darkiz, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Darkiz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm playing through the game trying to comprehend the D&D rules and its going pretty good, i'm uncertain of 1 thing though, i got a ranger wielding 2 bastard swords wearing light armor so i get ambidex and two-weapon fighting feats but now a friend tells me he get penalty for wielding 2 weapons if they are of the same size so to use its full potential he should have the be equiped with a smaller weapon on the off hand? is this true?

2. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

in short: yes.

to make a long and detailed descrition:

Any normal character (like a fighter) using 2 weapons at the same time will incur the "dual wielding penalties". These penalties are -6 to hit with your main hand, and -10 to hit with your offhand (considering 2 similar weapons like forexample 2 longswords).

To reduse this you can either pick specific feats, or use different sized weapons.

For example using longsword in teh mainhand, and shortsword in your offhand will reduce the panlties with 2 on each hand. so you wil suffer only -4 on mainhand and -8 in offhand.

"Two Weapon Fighting" feat also reduses these penalties by 2, and combined with using different size weapons reduce by 4, so -2 on mainhand and -6 in offhand.

"Ambidexterity" feat reduses the offhand penalty by 4, regardless of what other feats and things you use in this. So a normal fighter picking ambidexterity feat would have hes start penalties redused to -6 mainhand and -6 offhand. Combined with the above mentioned ways it would be redused to -2 mainhand and -2 offhand.

And that is the best you will get it.

If you use two weapon fighting + ambidexterity (ranger in light armor) you get -4 mainhand and -4 offhand.

If you change the sword in your offhand to a shortsword, these penalties is redused to -2 mainhand and -2 offhand. (Offhand needs a smaller weapon than the mainhand, so it does not woth with shortsword in mainhand and longsword in offhand.)

Two daggers will still give you the bonus for using different size weapons, becose there is nothing "smaller".

Bleeh, i hope that should explain most of it.

3. Darkiz Gems: 2/31

ah ok, thanks for the comprehensive response, i understand everything well now =)

got to thinking is bastard sword considered larger then large sword? if i dualwielded bastard sword with longsword would i get the "size-penalty"?

[ March 16, 2006, 17:43: Message edited by: Darkiz ]

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, the offhand weapon actually has to be "light", not just smaller than the main hand weapon.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Err, light means LBS wise or can you give a spesific list of light weapons? For example, is dual-wielding two scimitars of nearly exact same weight (just like Drizzt does) possible or does it give a horrible penalty? :confused:

6. wanderon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Light weapons in ID2 consist of only two choices - small sword and dagger - in other D&D based games there are several other choices but only those will work in ID2 (unmodded)

7. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

As Wanderon says, "Light Weapons" are what are classified as "Small Blades", i.e. daggers and short swords.

BTW, after you've reached higher levels, wielding 2 non-light weapons is not such a big deal. The -4/-4 penalty may be more than offset by the benefits of the weapon you've got in your offhand.
    For example, The Golden Heart of CHARNAME longsword in HOF is a great offhand longsword, due to its excellent abilities.

What differentiates good offhand weapon abilities versus good main hand abilities is as follows...

Good offhand abilities: Abilities that affect the character as a whole, not only when you strike the enemy. For examples, "Protection from Evil, while equipped" or "Freedom of Movement, while equipped". You don't need to strike the enemy to get these benefits, so they make great offhand abilities.

Good main hand ability: Abilities that only happen *IF* you strike the enemy. If you have 3 attack/round with your main hand and +1 attack/round with your offhand weapon, you want the main hand weapon to have the more damaging weapon, the weapon with the most damaging effects.

[ March 16, 2006, 20:13: Message edited by: crucis ]

8. Darkiz Gems: 2/31

yeah i'm gonna continue to wield 2 bastard swords on my ranger i think because the offhand sword gives him executioners eyes on all the time which give a +4 attack bonus plus +4 critical hit threat so i think that is almost the ideal offhand weapon =)

9. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

If you have Ambidexterity and Two-weapon fighting feats and your off hand in light, you still get -2BAB on both weapons. If the off-hand weapon is not a small blade, the penalty is -4BAB.
    THe small increase in penalty can easyly be overlooked, specially in your case Darkwiz since EE anyway gives +4BAB bonus.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.