1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Umber Hulks

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by timschutts, Sep 29, 2000.

1. timschutts Guest

[​IMG] Can someone assist with protecting myself from confusion when fighting Umber Hulks. My party is now pretty tough and can beat ass pretty well, but the Umbers are troubling me because my guys always get confused. Are there Priest or mage spells that helps out with this, or how about a potion? Should I go back to Kuldahar and get a bunch of "free action" potions and drink up before the Umber Hulk fights? What helps.
    Thanks

2. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Potions of free action won't help you against umber hulks, instead use those blue and white potions ( I can't remember what they are called), but they are the ones that protect against confusion.

3. timschutts Guest

[​IMG] Thanks. If there's a potion that protects against confusion, then I'm in. Anyone else know what it might be called? I'll go to Kuldahar when I get a chance to pick some up.

4. Wingfoot Guest

the blue and white potions are the way to go. i believe they are Potions of Clairvoyance.

5. timschutts Guest

[​IMG] Still no luck. I'm at the point where I give the gnome the sack of potatoes and he asks me to clear out the Umber Hulks burrowing beneath him. My party is pretty tough, as I mentioned, but I am getting absolutely smoked by these Hulks. It's instant confusion for all my characters, and the usual combat spells i use (haste, summon, mirror image, various shields, courage, etc.) do naught. I went back to Kuldahar and the Potion dude there, but no "blue and white" potion. I gotta be missing somwthing. I was thinking that maybe its' due to the extreme stupidity of many of my characters, which are mostly fighters with low intelligence, but I also have two mages with int. of 18 and 19, and they also are immediately confused. HELP!!!!! I need to finish this wonderful game before I allow myself to get BG2.

6. Marek Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] What you're looking for is a white bottled potion called the potion of clarity.But I think it's a waste of your money. Just use any "hold spells" on them (hold monster,web,stink cloud etc.) and then use long ranged weapons - spells,bows crossbows.Now you'll only be confused by how fast they go down ;)

Marek.

7. Kryus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Umberhulks...

Try the 5th level cleric spell Chaotic Commands. It is very effective in protecting from confusion. I believe there is also a cloak or a shield somewhere in the game that protects agains confusion but I can't remember. My favorite tactic for dealing with UmberHulks is to have my wizard and druid summon a bunch of fire elementals and send them foward. Yes the elementals get confused but they are immune to fire. I the shower the elementals and umberhulks with fireballs to eliminate the Hulks as fast as possible.

Good Luck.

8. someonebored Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Just kill Maloven and if you have a mage, have him take them out. Maloven has watchers robe and thats imune to umberhulk gaze.

9. timschutts Guest

[​IMG] Thanks to all. I always scoffed at Potions of Clarity and spells like Chaotic Commands. Useless to my narrow-minded thinking. Now I'm off to open a keg of whoop-ass on these Umbers.

10. Whoz-UR-Daddy Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] This might be a tad different than you were planning, but I just had my clerics cast Protection from Fire on the whole party. Or use potions of Fire Resistance Then I had my mage send fireball after fireball at Umber Hulks. I was done in about 45 seconds.

11. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Engage them in ranged combat so they die before they can confuse your party.
    Of course, your archers must be pretty damn good.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.