1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Underdark... Where is the light ?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Tarron, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Tarron Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

try the snif...(cannot spell) settlement... you never know...

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Where you need to go is the Svirfneblin (deep Gnome) village in the tope left of the map. There you will be asked by the mayor to kill a demon for them. As reward you get the light gem to enter the darkened cave.

3. lioubliou Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] PLEASE...Where can i get the light to get down in the cave in the underdark???

4. lioubliou Gems: 1/31

Merci beaucoup !
    Thanks a lot !

5. Kavik Kang Gems: 1/31

I think I have a glitch or something going on. Luckily I saved before entering the underdark so I can go back it that is the case. This is a stupid question, since every I look says simply "go to the north of the map"... but how do you get to the north half of the first Underdark map? I am trapped in the southern half of the map and there doesn't appear to be any way of getting to the north half of the map. All the advice and walkthroughs (which I normally don't use) just say "make your way to the north of the map" but how do you do that? There doesn't appear to be any way of getting there. The map is dark, am I just not finding the path? Can you just walk from the south half of the map to the north half? If so, where is the passage?

Also, I talked to the guys who tell you about the imprisoned wizard, but the only thing where the walkthrough says that wizard is is half of a round building that you can't interact with in any way? Am I encountering some kind of glitch or am I just missing something that seems to be obvious to everyone else?

Please help, I don't want to just stop playing but I also don't want to spend 6 hours search only to find out that some type of glich is preventing me from getting to the top half of the map. The fact that the wizard is not where the walkthrough says he should be makes me think I have some kind of technical problem.

6. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

If you can wait a few days...

I'll be heading off to get Imoen tomorrow and I'll be in the Underdark soon.

:1eye:

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm....have you tried going all the way left on the map before going up? The UD is a very dark place (duh!), try using an Elf's or a Gnome's Infravision to help see the rock outcroppings. :thumb:

As for the Imprisoned dude, just try and center yourself between all 3 of the portals within the underdark (they're the purple square thingies) and then have someone cast the Freedom spell. Out pops the wizard that has a quest for you! :rolling:

8. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The Underdark is VERY dark, I would say even too dark. You can indeed walk from the "southern half" to the "northern half." The center of the map--to the left of the bridge where the Kua-Toa are--is a sort of crossroads. The problem is that there are rock formations that appear to be walls...but they're not walls, just formations to walk around. If you've run into the first drow party, then you are right where you want to be. From there, you can walk left to the Gnome establishment or right and up toward the drow city and the silver dragon. But no doubt, it can be very hard to see. Up your contrast big time if you are still having trouble.

9. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Find the 3 portals to the elemental planes. Now look at the map. The path you are searching for is a curve from the Druegar shop to the nearest portal and moves north and then to the east.
    If you move further ahead you will find a fork going west. Follow it since you need to do a quest there before entering Ust Natha.

If you are having trouble seeing properly try adjusting the brightness and contrast both for your monitor and the game. I find that usually does the job.

10. Kavik Kang Gems: 1/31

Thanks, everything was just so dark I just wasn't finding it.

But then...

I've loved this game until I got to this underdark palce and I can't wait to get out of it. Now I actually have encountered a glitch. When I bring the book to the wizard the first elemental works fine. But then when I go meet him at the fire elemental he is already fighting it. Try to stay out of it he dies, and if I help him kill it another appears. A fire elemental is easy for my party to kill, so I even tried just staying there and killing them... but after 6 or 8 the wizard still dies. This quest cannot be completed.

Is it important, do I have to complete this quest? Do you get anything critical, can I continue without completing it?

I normally don't have to go ask for help with games, but this underdark place really sucks! If anyone knows how to get around this glitch in the quest that would be great, but even just knowing that I'm not missing anything critical and can just forget this quest would be great. I just want to get out of this horridly designed area of the game.

11. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

It's not a glitch. Each portal has around 10 elemental guardians, capped off by a greater elemental. Normally you want to kill all the normal elementals before you free him, so you only have to worry about the big ones.

Get to the gate before him and form a ring around the symbol where the elementals appear. Beat them down really fast.

Or just forget all about it. It's not plot-related and the items you get are only so-so.

12. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

If you have a previous save, I'd advice you to go back.
    Visit each portal before you release the mad mage. An elemental should be gaurding it. About a dozen elementals shall pour out of the portals, one after the other after you kill the previous one. Get rid of them till there are no more.
    Now free the mad mage and he will go to chant at the portals. The elder guardian will now only appear midway thru the chanting, giving you time to kill it before it gets the idiot.

If you dont have a near previous save, go visit the other portals before going to the one where the mage is waiting so you wont have any problems there. And cast prot' from fire and heal on this nutter.
    Its just an optional quest. Dont bother if you dont want to.

13. Kavik Kang Gems: 1/31

Hey, thanks everyone. I was assuming that an unlimited number of elementals would appear. I can easily take care of this quest now. I really dislike this underdark area but love this game overall. I'll probably play it again with an evil party, and I've never played any RPG more than once. This really is a great game, which is a big suprise coming from an industry that hates game designers:)

Obviously a lot of other people like this game a lot too, considering the speed of response I've got for questions about a 4 year old game.

Thanks again, you guy's saved me hours of experimenting trying to figure a way out of this place that has managed to get me stuck twice.

14. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think you are actually the first guy who calls the underdark a dumb place, I think it it's very atmospheric and overall well done. But it is indeed too dark at some places and hard to find the way. And it took me hours to find thee drow-prison thing where the missinmg snirf boy is kept, i first thought it was a funny rock ;)

15. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I wouldn't call it a 'dumb place' but it is my least favorite. Does make an 'atmospheric' change to the rest of the game. It is so dark and even having Vicky along doesn't seem to help. I have been through many times but still have a hard time finding things.

16. TheBard Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

strange. For me I free the wizard first and once I get him the book no elementals (no matter if i saw some or not) come out of the portals until the elder comes out.

if i kill them off first then yes, there they are. But if i don't even go there and get the book first they are not there when he goes to open the portals.

I think there is supposed to be a code where once he gets the book the elementals stop coming out until the drags out the elders.... this is how it's always worked for me and i've had the game for years... strange.

17. Kavik Kang Gems: 1/31

I just got out and back to the surface, thank god! I killed all the elementals first and then was able to finish the wizard quest.

The darkness is annoying, but I mostly don't like it because it is linear and I hate RPG where you have no choice but to be lead around by the nose and do A then B then C. I was loving this game because it wasn't like that, until I got on the ship and headed for Spellhold. I didn't mind Spellhold being a linear location because it was such an important part of the story and a big moment I had been working towards. But when I left that island and wound up in another linear area, this time a huge one and overly dark on top of that... my patience ended and I just want out and back to the "real game" as soon as I could get there. Of course, the way I am with RPGs I still had to do everything in the underdark before I would feel comfortable leaving, so I grew to hate the place really fast.

I am so happy to finally be able to make my own decisions again now that I am out of there.

Thanks for the help, you guys helped me end the torture quickly:)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.