1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Underrated Spells

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Lord Sarevok, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Lord Sarevok Guest

[​IMG] This is where you post which spells you seem to love and always use yet no one else does. Back up your statement with reason, or your spell will stay underrated :).

The biggest one for me has to be Ghoul Touch. This spell is awsome with my fighter/mage, and no one else seems to use it at all. It's as good as a monk's stunning blow, exept it lasts a lot longer so you have a greater chance of holding them.

Another great one is Shadow Door, giving you a quick escape with a very short casting time, allowing you to plan your next move.

Yet another is Ray of Enfeeblement. Seems to work quite a bit and also slows the target if he's wearing heavy armor.

2. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think i use quite a lot of popular spells..
    But some times I want to encounter a certain enemy with a mage casted spell immuninity ( popy, i think) and tenser's transformation (is tens trans popular?) upon herself, compared with a big staff and a potion of whatever strength for a better thac0 and I have an immune powerhouse.
    Further I use chrom orb/mag.mis/web and other well known spells a lot

3. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Most of the spells I use are quite popular, I think, but then there are some that I don't think very many use:

Emotion, Hold Monster and Greater Command: All great spells when it comes to disabling enemies, preferably used together with Greater Malison and/or Doom.
    (I, unlike most enemies, usually make the save when G. Command is cast.)

Tenser's Transformation: Not sure whether people use this or not, but I find it useful for turning mages and bards (especially bards) into killing machines.

Mislead: Preferably used on bard or fighter/mage together with Improved Haste. Just keep the image out of sight, and watch as your guy paints the room red. :evil:

4. Masher Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I like Ray of Enfeeblement too! I fought the shadow dragon with a low(ish) level party and lost miserably. Reloaded and tried casting RoE on it and it worked very well indeed, meaning that most of my party, although still gibbering in corners from the effect of Dragon Fear, didn't get squished and eventually recovered and killed it.

5. Mirkwood Guest

[​IMG] Nature's Beauty is my favourite - level 7 druid spell that causes permanent blindness 5' radius, no save. A blinded enemy will simply stand around doing nothing, you can take your time throwing darts, daggers, etc. at them. This spell is so good that a lot of the major bosses, like Irenicus and Bodhi, have specific immunity to it.

6. Lord Sarevok Guest

I love how RoE is only level 2! Cram two in a minor sequencer, then throw in a greater malison. Probably would work quite often that way since they would have to make two saves with a -4 penalty.

7. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

My favourite spells which are underated.

Skull trap, this a brillant spell, easily able to clear out whole rooms of weaker enemies, and combined with spell triggers can wipe out harder monsters as, but always remember to cast protection from magical energy before doing so. to protect yourself and your party.

Once you get level nine spells available the picking which ones is a hard choice, why because there are so many and you get to pick so few. Most peole go for time stop which is argubly the best spell in the game, and usaully pick it as well. But if you want something different try choosing imprisement, which i personally think is better than time stop, but combined with timestop is even more deadlier.

Firstly it has quite a short casting time, which is good for any spell, but especially for a level nine spell which you have to get up close to use. Second It will imprison, make enemies completely vanish and unable to harm you, making short work of those pesky dragons, which is great, but any items that enemy may be carrying will disappear also.

Another good spell is black blade of disaster, which i think strikes aa a +4 weapon is great for fighter/mages, and can do over 40 damage per hit and if you get say 3 attacks per round, that equals a total over 120 damage. Last battle was over in a few rounds with this spell.

8. Sol'Kanar Guest

I used to use fireball alot, but then I looked a skull trap. It has no limit! The fireball maxes out in damage dice, but skull trap keeps on going up and up. I also love the spell emotion. It's great for fighting humanoids, sometimes I can even get drow with it. When they get hit by that spell, they're out for the fight. Chromatic Orb is also really useful. I once got really lucky with that spell. I was soloing with a necromancer, and had just arrived in the underdark. I got the quest from the svirfneblin to kill the demon, thinking it'd be something easy and taking none of the necessary precautions. Well, to make a long story short, I hurled all the offensive magic I had at it, with little or no effect. In a panic, I blasted a chromatic orb at it and poof! Not only did the MR not stop it, but the stupid balor failed it's save, dead instantly. Ha.

9. Lord Sarevok Guest

Heh, guess demons aren't very wise, might have something to do with them being evil :D.

10. [GoodFellaZ] Voodoo Daddy Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

hi all

normally I let my cleric cast santuary on her self and then let her scout so i know where my enemies are hiding.
    Then I move in with web and after that 1 or 2 fireballs. Now the enemies should be quite weak and my Kenzai dual wielding celestrial fury and the sword that grants immunity to web and Keldorn moves in and kill whats left of the enemies... I dont know whether this is the normal way of dealing with enemies, but it works really great.
    Maybe I should consider changing from fireballs to skull trap... how high in level should you be before it outperform the damage from fireball..

Do you use Doom, I use it a lot, but is it worth it...

11. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Skull trap is a good spell, but fireball can be deployed from a mutch greater distance, which means it is mutch more safer than ST.

One of my favorite (underestimated) spell is stinking cloud. If you have the Ring of Gaxx, which grants immunity to poison, then you can safely slay your intoxicated opponents. I also like fireshield red. When it is combined with mirror image and stoneskin in a spell trigger it is the safest protection a mage ever can get.

12. Lord Sarevok Guest

Wow, that's a good idea. And if you have Arbane's Sword + Ring of Gaxx, you can cast a web/stinking cloud combo for extra fun.

13. ZYL Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

For me, it would be Blindness/Glitterdust/Power Word: Blind -- watch your enemies stand around acting stupid while you bombard them with follow-up spells. Plus, not many of them are immune to blindness. Enemies which are blinded are really as good as dead.

[This message has been edited by ZYL (edited January 02, 2002).]

14. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

[​IMG] Sanctuary all the way... My Fighter/Cleric with the boots of haste quickly recons every area, while the rest of my party cleans up the mess behind him...

Other then that, uhm... Magic Missile? :) Even though it does little damage further on in the game, I can't help but keep staring at my four sorcerers casting zillions of MM's with the use of Alacrity, Chaincontingencies and the like... :p

Ooh look at that screen, it's all pink!

15. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Hmm, I don't think that Magic Missile is underrated at all. It's extremely useful for counter-attacks or breaking up spell. I'm sure many people here use Magic Missile frequently.

The underrated spell I use a lot? I think it's called Burning Hands. (The one that shoots a jet of fire from your fingers)

16. Alith Anar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Underrated spells....

Already mentioned - Skull Trap. Can deal DOUBLE damage of fireballs (no save??? I forget), up to 20d6. Pure magic like missiles, so only pure MR will stop it. Fast casting time, only level 3. in fact this spell at high level is comparable to Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting for pure power.

Also, Burning hands and/or shocking grasp. A level 20 mage deals between 20-28 damage with each spell... good, cheap elemental damage.

Also Ray of Enfeeblement (which apparently isn't so underrated after all!), and Cone of Cold. MASSIVE damage when used correctly. RoE is particularly good against dragons if you can get it to work because it lowers their strength to a 5. Often this removes as much as 14 points from EACH melee attack, which can be between 3 and 5 per round.

17. [GoodFellaZ] Voodoo Daddy Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

improved haste. Simply one of the best spells out there. Enough said, I think. Try it on your kenzai and all you have to do is to guide him/her through your enemies who will fall like flies, muhahaha

18. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Spell Trigger, Melf's Minor Meteor

19. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

i'd go with Chromatic Orb

a lot of people seem to use Magic Missile, yet when you are higher level, chromatic orbs can stun or even turn an enemy completely to stone.

and it's only a level 1 spell!

20. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    feeblemind, chrom.orb and other lower level spells are pretty cool after casting some lower resistances...
    never casted feeblemind on a high level mage, but when it works...it should be great, methinks...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.