1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

USA vs. Spain

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by The Great Snook, Jun 24, 2009.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    The U.S.A. is beating mighty Spain 1-0 at half time. If this holds up it would be a major upset.

2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Holy christ, thanks for reminding me to watch! Go US! (I am a huge Spain fan though, but gotta go with my home team).

Edit (74'): 2-0!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The US putting an end to the record streak. I have told you guys before that the US got a decent team.

4. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

I'm not sure how much this qualifies as an upset. It's like a tennis player who's ranked 20 something in the world beating Federer at Queen's. A bit of a surprise but I think he'd have to do it at Wimbledon for it to qualify as a major upset.

Also, as Joacquin said ye've had a decent team since the mid 90s or so. It's a long time since the US was a bad team, they're just not a great one.

5. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The US team just doesn't have the offensive skills that players from other countries (where soccer is the main sport) have. Outside if that, the defense and goaltending are generally very good, which will give you a chance in almost any game.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Saw this last night with a bunch of friends. My Spanish friend was freaking out (incredulity), my American friend was freaking out (elation) and an English friend (who supports Fulham) kept going "Now you know who CLINT DEMPSEY is! Say his name! Say it!". It was hilarious :D

The Great Snook likes this.
  7. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Crap, sorry i missed it.:(
    I wonder if spain was looking so far ahead that they took the usa team too lightly?

this is a nice little article on it. soccer
    Yep, if the italians are praising our defense then the us team has improved a lot over the years.

8. Saber

Great, we have to face Brazil now. I would certainly have preferred South Africa.

9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Wow, this is BIG. Spain is the world champ and has been on an amazing streak, so all US fans can really savor the sweet taste of this victory. That has to be one of the biggest upsets in recent football history. Then again... I remember hearing that England lost to the US way back in the 60s, some time before they won the World Cup. That must have felt pretty similar, if anyone here is old enough to remember it.

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Spain is not World Champions, they are European champions. Before this they had the longest running winning streak ever. However when all is said and done Confederations Cup is a glorified friendly tournament and in those the smaller teams often upset the bigger ones purely on higher motivation. Motivation has a tendency to beat class. Egypt beat Italy for example.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  11. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Duh, sorry. How can I forget the Mighty Headbutt of Doom, and the final itself :( !

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Spain were overconfident, cocky and complacent and it bit them in the arse crack. The US defende really well though, and that red card was a complete joke. I'd be very impressed if you can beat Brazil as well, even an under-par Brazil. They have the warning of he Spain match and shouldn't be going in thinking they can win without breaking sweat (like the Spanish did).

13. Saber

BARMY! You're back!

I agree, the red card was crap. It should have just been a free kick, or a yellow at worst...

14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Was just channel surfing and saw the US up 2-0 over Brazil. How is this possible? I thought they were really good and stuff (not that I could make heads or tails of the play except that it seemed for the 3 or 4 minutes I left it on that the US was doing most of the attacking). Then I got bored and came here.

15. joacqin

Media:
    The first half is just over and I think the US is pretty much playing their hearts out and if the other team isn't it means that you can beat teams that are much better on paper.

Seems like Brazil found a bit of heart, bit of a shame. I reckon a bit of success would help football in the US although I think it is starting to gain momentum there as well.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  16. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    No, we can't have the US winning stuff I'm afraid. They can have the 'valiant losers' medal as usual but that's all they're getting.

17. Saber

Haha, thanks Barmy. I hope next year the U.S. finishes ahead of the Queen's Country.

Le sigh, 3 goals in the second half? Weak sauce, I am afraid. I didn't get to watch it all, but it's a shame, although they played (overall) better than was expected.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.