1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Useless Spells

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by FireNova, Aug 2, 2001.

1. FireNova Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Why are there over 900 spells in the override folder and only half of them do AYTHING in the game?

2. Thorr Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What are you talking about? In the game there are about 300 spells. Please explain how did you get that number.
    And what do you want to tell in the topic name "useless spells"? You mean "unused", may be?

3. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

contagion is a really useless spell(-2 to str.; dex; con; cha). Bah...come on!!! :mad:

4. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Many of the spells there were created for the sole purpose of testing the game before it was released. The developers just didn't bother to take them out of the game when they released it.

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited August 02, 2001).]

5. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I was fiddling with Shadowkeeper (changing portraits and avatars) and I looked at the spells; over half the innate spells have NO name and NO description, but, a little further to the right, it also sais stuff like "lose bhaal abilities". ?! I think that after you get the Slayer change the game casts that on you, but since YOU'RE never going to see it, they haven't bothered to name it, describe it, or give it an icon. I found the same thing changing Anomen's name to "Sir Anomen". Huh? Talk about useless spells!

6. garathorn Gems: 5/31

no you lose bhaals abilitys before you turn into the slayer cause without bhaals esence you cannot cotrole the deamon within

7. shadow_thief Guest

In case you didn't know, SK is a cheat user consisted of items/portraits/avatars etc. that are being sent in by people who developped it. Some people know code to change it, just like us users and the moderaters. We sent in stuff and they post it on the boards. They get emails of CluaConsole and they put it in SK. Unfortunately, a lot of the stuff is crap. And if you are moderating your char, on the screen, scroll right and there will be "resource". Check it to see if you're not taking a crap @$$ item that someone sent in.

Edit: BTA will get mad at me if I post another one, so I'll post here:

Beats me, Extremist.

[This message has been edited by shadow_thief (edited August 02, 2001).]

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Useless spells... my ass.
    Every single spell has it's purpose. Those huge amount of spells are not test spells - some of them are parts of another spell or weapon, some of them are just for cutscenes effects and some of them are prepared to be used in ToB.

What bothers me is how the hell did you get all spells in override folder of SoA?

9. Oricalcum Gems: 5/31

I find many spells somewhat useless. Particularly because they rarely manage tomaffect the only creatures in the game I might need them for.

10. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Spell's are worth lot's of experience.
    You won't memorize spell's like "protection from acid" often (if ever) but it's good to have them...you never know when you'll need them. Thank God I had "protection from petrification" in my spell book in BG!
    You never knew when those bastards would show up.

11. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

If a given spell has a use that isn't obvious or discovered by the poster, its useless to him...There are people who have opinions other than Extremist...although Extremist has a good understanding of facts to base his opinions on...still thats not license to flame anothers opinion.

12. Brasher Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i found that most of the spells were pretty useless..but there where a few i like..but not many and if anything i remember it once for one of my mage that way i could have it just in case i needed..but have the spells are more for my mage how loves to know all spells in of the world.

Brasher...<<Dwarven Fighter for Justice>>>

13. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Subra, did you actually read his question?
    He is talking about 900 spells in OVERRIDE folder - and asks if those are useless. 900 spells+override folder IMHO deserve a flame. The man is mocking you, don't you see?

And generally I answered him why there are 900 spells (hmmm, not quite, I suspect he's got there spells from ToB too...), where are those spells used and what for.

Then I asked how did he found so much spells in override folder - do, please, take a peek in your override folder, how much spell files are in your folder Subra (*.SPL files)?
    As I see, he hasn't answered it yet...

14. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

900 spells, hmmmm, are you having a fever? :rolleyes:

15. shadow_thief Guest

It's an override folder!!

Edit: You gotta be kidding me, Tasohan.

[This message has been edited by shadow_thief (edited August 04, 2001).]

16. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Spook!!! the most usefull spell in the universe!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.