1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

VERY funny but tragic D&D story (REAL story)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Farthy, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] It happened a few years ago. I heard that these three guys from the US of A were GARGANTUAN fans of D&D and breathed and lived the stuff. Anyway, they went to take an "adventure" without notifying anyone to south of the border - IN MEXICO! But that's not all, a few weeks later, their bodies were found in a sewer. The bodies were corpses. Dang, I didn't know carrion crawlers existed in real life!

Sorry if I tried to make this sad event funny, or if I offended anyone, but I had friends who years ago would be prohibited to do anything with D&D simply because their parents knew this story.

2. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Reminds me of the time we were discussing the previous nights 'adventure' in the students union bar.
    "so, do you think those chickens were there for sacrifice?"
    "yeah, and it was a mistake to blow out the candles, if a demon had been summoned it could have escaped the pentagram."

Someone overheard us and reported us to the dean for being a bunch of satanists! LOL!

3. Lord Sarevok Guest

There was the movie I saw called "Cruel Doubt" based on a book. Some drugged up teens who were obsessed with D&D decided to live out their fantasy by killing their friend's parents, because he would inherit a lot of money from them and then they could play D&D all they wanted and not have to work. You'd have to see, it because it's hard to explain, but it was a very good movie.

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

How sad... did anyone know what really happened then? They met bandits and where shot before they could roll 1d8 for damage after one of them rolled a to hit of 18 on a d20? :)

5. Sad story, although it could have been an Urban Legend if you heard it from a friend of a friend, Farthy.

Maybe if someone owned a pair of Boots of Missle Dodging, it would have given him that +5 roll against the guns of the drug cartel and the bullet would have missed him. :)(Sorry, but I couldn't resist some morbid humor.)

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

There's an old movie called Mazes and Monsters where a student (played by a young Tom Hanks).

The character looses himself in the fantasy world and ends up roaming the city (NY?) with a swiss army knife.

My parents made me watch it when I was a younger addict. Didn't help :grin:

7. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] You still went out with a swiss army knife? :p

I have HEARD (heard it was a real story :) ) that someone commited suicide after his lifelong d&d character died. Pretty sad. :(

8. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

ArchAngel, its not *exactly* true. It was some kid, I forget his name, his nickname was Bink. As far as I'm concerned, with a nickname like Bink, he never had a chance.

The kid was a self-loathing jew, who was into Hitler and cocaine. He had mental issues and blew his brains out with his mom's gun. She then blamed (of all things) dungeons and dragons, and formed an organization called BADD (Bothered about Dungeons and Dragons - no joke), and started a witch hunt in the US, which then spread to England (I don't know about elsewhere). It was part of that whole 80's Satanic Hysteria.

If I can dig up the article about it, I'll link it here.

Here it is, the Pulling Report, very educational paper about propaganda:
    http://www.rpg.net/252/quellen/stackpole/pulling_report.html

[This message has been edited by ArtEChoke (edited January 22, 2002).]

9. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

ArtEchoke I read that article that you linked to. Wow some people really are messed up. To thing that a game can turn a person evil is so farfetched I dare not consider it.
    i go to a Christan school an d ow I understand why the school teachers and priest at my school say that i am evil, I just can't believe people will swallow that cr~p.

10. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I brought all my D&D stuff with me when I went for a week to stay with my aunt and her friends son. So I thought that I would show him D&D to see if he liked it. Well turns out that he's highly Christan and for the rest of the week called me devil worshiper! I was quite offened and told him off at the end of the week. I haven't seen him since. Wonder if he finaly met a gargoyle? Anyways D&D is just like any other game I think. Well anyways I'm going to become an artect and build a castle to live in :rollseyes:

11. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I am a Christain and I have no problem with D&D. My parents amuse me on this subject. They aren't big fans of D&D but they enjoyed the LOTR film. I'm sitting thinking...ok, go figure.

What it is, is perception. They've heard and seen bad things about D&D, so they percieve it to be bad. It's the same way with Christainity, people hear bad things about, and only focus on the bad things that could come from it, and they knock it down without even giving it a chance.

It's all about warped perceptions. Both sides are wrong. I challenge people to look at the big picture, rather than sticking to narrow-minded perceptions.

12. I, too, am a Christian, and I completely agree that DnD is hardly, if at all, 'evil' or 'satanic'. It's about as 'evil' and 'satanic' as, say mythology of the ancient Greeks and Persians. Just because there are a host of different gods and goddesses, and demons and monsters are featured in it, it's not opposing to Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc.

13. Thorin Gems: 9/31

But Big B being judgmental and stubborn is so easy. Why would I want to know that big picture, when the small picture says that I am always right?

14. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

On the "I'm a Christian" note ...

My cousin just called me this week up in arms because the church Sunday School read a piece of Harry Potter to the kids. The section was about Harry sharing with the other students ... my cousin thought the church was teaching people to become wizards :rolleyes:

15. sorvo Guest

My parents made me watch that movie too Mathetais! I inquired about the name of it before in a post. Yes,it was NYC because at the end he looks at the twin towers and decides to jump of of one or something?

16. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] Unfortunately, I heard it from family, so indeed it is true. (I also read it on the newspaper)

It was not from a friend.

17. Azardu Gems: 9/31

So much easier to point a finger at an established scapegoat than to search oneself for faults. :(

When will they learn?

18. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I supopse there are also many comedies made on D&D.... can anyone tell me where to egt some?

19. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

"Places to go, People to be" www.ptgptb.com has a two part series on the supposed D&D related disappearance and suspected suicide of James Dallas Egbert Jr. (I think), which apparently caused a lot of fuss in the US media.

20. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I think D&D, like a lot of other things, just provides a convenient 'scape-goat' for people. It's an easy target, its really only played by a small minority of the population, and the subject matter can so easily be turned into 'heinous' and 'evil' things. Plus, I think in general that a lot of people out there don't get the whole idea of 'role playing'. As a kid, I remember people (other kids and their parents) saying things like 'why do you want to "be" someone else? Aren't you happy with who you are?'. No matter how much you explain it, they don't get it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.