1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Waaaah! It's too hard! ToB is too hard!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by biggreenpriest, Jul 16, 2001.

1. [​IMG] I admit it: I was spoiled by being level 14 or so at the end of BG2, having an AC of -10 or so.

When you start ToB, you can do some damage, but you have crummy AC. The various critters can all hit you very easily, so I've had to do hit and run, greater malieson/emotion (or stinking cloud) combo, and summoning spells to keep from being overrun by stuff.

SPOILER:
    The fire giants lair is impossible for me. You can get off one round of spells before they get to you, then they kill my characters, sometimes with one blow. The regular fire giants are one thing, but these guys are ELITE fire giants.

I'm about to give in and do something I never did in BG2: shadowkeep some decent armor and rings to keep these guys from hitting me every time.

Yes, I remembered to level up after summoning. Yes, I'm using 5 characters.

Wimpily Yours,

bgp

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, when you first enter the Fire Giant lair, it's pretty tough. I concentrated on one giant at a time and was able to take them all down. My low AC didn't seem to help much against them; they pounded me pretty good...

I would suggest doing Watcher's Keep first. Good stuff and experience to be had in there...

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited July 16, 2001).]

3. Well, if the Master BTA struggled with them, then they must be worthy foes.

After giving up on the fire giants once, I went to Watcher's Keep. You definately need serious priest and paladin backup for that undead-laden keep.

But without the gauntlets of dex., Keldorn is not helpful. So that means making your own paladin and importing him. I suggest undead hunter. It's really ugly in there.

bgp

4. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I brought my party forward (played from the final save) and had all of my stuff. This includes the Guantlets of Dex for Keldorn.

5. fanchant Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Definitely activate a few giants at a time. I had half the party casting spells and range weapons, and my three fighters (my char, Sarevok and Minsc) pounding on them for all they're worth. Make sure to use any abilities you may have already gotten like War Cry and the various blows, too.

6. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I ran outside, then past that little footbridge across the lava. It's a bottleneck, like the stream where you first meet fire giants.

[This message has been edited by The Deviant Mage (edited July 17, 2001).]

7. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

The one main weakness of the fire giants: theyre really really slow.
    It takes them a good round or two to even reach your characters if you stay at the enterance, so start unloading area damage spells... cloud kills, abi-dalzim, ice storm, whatever the hell you got. Keep your characters close together so that at most, 3 of them can be attacking at once. 5 of my party members had ranged weapons so I had them unloading as well. By the time they had reached my characters the front 3 were already at injured, with the rest stuck within a cloudkill. They were not too hard to take from there.
    Also, very effective spell for that situation: Cone of Cold/Prismatic Spray

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited July 17, 2001).]

8. SPROUTY Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I had jan with his Crossbow an imoen with the gessan bow. since they are both mages of considerable power tooled up with magic missle, have them range attack then magic missle different enemies. have a cleric or druid with healin spells and have your main character a potion case full of potions of super healin (loads in watchers keep) and the other potions.
    plus my main character had an item (not sure which) which allowed him to caste improved haste, combined with greater whirlwind attack, no-one could survive!

[This message has been edited by SPROUTY (edited July 22, 2001).]

9. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Fire Giants are easy, unless you went straight from Saradush to the temple... once you level a bit after Watchers' keep, you should have at least a critical strike and greater/whirlwind attack for Sarevok and Minsc...

as the giants are slow... shoot bolts/arrows(ice preferred) at them until they reach ur tanks, mine was Minsc and Sarevok, if its only 1 or 2, you can take it down easily while taking some damage, but if u have like 5-6 like where Yaga's heart is, use greater whirlwind and critical strike to bring them down fast, if you want it easier, summon Planetars and Elementals...

i only had a problem with them in watchers keep fire lab coz it was my first time encountering them and i was not very high levelled...

10. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I continued on with my party from SoA, but I started in with the main quests of ToB first before Watcher's Keep. The Fire Giants were tough, but I didn't find them impossible. With summonings and major spells (finger of death, horrible wilting, etc) and good use of distance weapons, they aren't so bad. But...

**SPOILERS BELOW**

...I did the fire giant liar and then moved on to Watcher's Keep before taking on Yaga-Shura. It's tough!! Level one and two were tricky, but I'm having a real tough time with level three. I found the mad elf with his book, and went to the pillar of stone. But when I go to the demon's chamber (Tach-something), I get jumped immediately, and I have no magical protections on my party because of the "dead magic" in the room with the stone pillar. Half my party gets stunned and then clobbered before I can make any real head way in the battle. Anyone else find this?

[This message has been edited by Gnolyn Lochbreaker (edited July 22, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Gnolyn Lochbreaker (edited July 22, 2001).]

11. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I beleive (although I haven't tried it myself, I fought them without pre-casting :( anything) that you can go to your pocket plane and rest and cast spells and then return real quick, maybe that works?

12. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

you know... you can actually cast some protection spells before entering the portal.. then you can go help that tanaari kill those demons.. of course... after that youll have to kill him.. or you could skip it like what Carston's diary says... "RUN!" to the south i mean

13. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Lol! Yes I almost considered running. But no, evil creatures must die!!!!

14. DemoGorgon Guest

LOL, I owned the fire giants, but then again it was all tank except for my sorcerer. my party was:
    Me sorcerer
    Sarevok
    Minsc
    Keldorn
    Anomen
    Mazzy

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.