1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

We See Your Name!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I just wanted to bring this up since it seems like it's spreading like plague all over the forums.

All of you who are signing your posts with your publicly displayed name at the bottom of every post you make - don't. There's a separate column on the left of your every post where everyone can see your username, gem/portrait/avatar and other stuff. There is no need, nay, no sensible cause to repeat this information at the bottom of every post. On top of this, signatures are not allowed on these boards.

Thanks for listening.

2. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I was just about to bring this up, as it is very annoying! As Tal said, we can tell who you are by looking an inch or two to the left, so there is no reason to do this.

3. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] *cough*lucian*cough* ;)

4. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Z, I was considering doing that, as it obviously provoked Tal, but I decided not to as he/she is new to the boards.

5. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Good for you. :)

6. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yeah, i suppose we could all actually use alittle exercise and shift our eyes slightly to the right. :D But i agree with Tal on this.

7. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think it's rather annoying!

MoN! (being annoying :evil: )

8. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] I suppose some people like it since they do it, and changing messages after their name too although funny, can just be put in thread somehow i suppose.
    /me looks for a big stick to club MoN with ;)

9. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I, too, was wondering how long those 'manually made' signatures would be tolerated.

10. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I can affirm that sig's do not last long. When I started here, tal nicely asked me to stop adding a sig and edit my more current posts. After that run in with the mod's I have decided to try and be good member.

11. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I do it because i am used to sig my every mobile message (were they called SMS?)

But i can stop it.
    Could avatar owners change the text above their avatar? That could make it less often repeating.

-(maybe not)

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  13. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Well at least Sorcerer's is clear from the wackos you can see on many other forums who actually take more space with their links, quotes of their favorite characters, and praises of their leadership in some 3-member cult or player association or whatever, than their actual text.

Now that's something I really can't stand. Extra nametags in the end of one's text are just useless, mildly annoying at best. But to have a novel of completely uninteresting and irrelevant information and boasting at the end of every single 1-sentence reply...

14. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Yeah, ive been on a couple of boards where they have a quote as a signiture, much like the text above your avatar. It gets really annoying seeing the same lame comment that might have been mildly ammusing the first time you read it, everytime you read a post.
    Good job high quality boards exist. :)

15. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I think it's a pity there are no signatures and pictures allowed here. I would like soooooo much to add a pic of my cat :wave: and a small 10-liner like like "Ragusa, the greatest, best, unique, longliving, wonderful, unimaginable, yes - you name it ........." plus a few random quotes. That would really give my appreance on the boards the importance I give myself. I really think this board is discouraging individualism :cry:

16. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I don't think it really matters, but the rules are the rules. So follow them....

Arabwel's(I think)small quotes or whatever I should call it, is really funny sometimes.

17. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I suppose it is annoying. Sorry.

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Now let's hope that the people actually using these signatures read this....

19. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Is it okay, when I describe my current actions in italics? Like:

Eze takes her staff and whacks her comp

That OK?

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Sure... as long as you don't repeat the same thing at the bottom of your every post.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.