1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What AC should I aspire to?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by happy1, Jan 21, 2002.

1. happy1 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I have a dual wielding fighter(dex18) what AC is considered good?

Also, how about other classes?

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    IMO *-*6 to *-*8 is desirable

OOOPS ! Edited, hehe :D ;)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited January 21, 2002).]

3. happy1 Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] 6 to 8?

Surely, he would have that just with his dex bonus (and no armour)?

Have just killed Kirkagg (sp?) and have got his armour made. This takes me to AC -11. I wondered how much better it gets?

4. Lord Sarevok Guest

I don't know...to me anything in the negatives is fine, because I usually play with mage type characters, and with Stoneskin, AC isn't really a problem.

5. I would imagine a -4 to -6 is desirable and achievable around Chapter 5 or 6. -11 can be gotten with the Drow full plate, or Drizzt's Defender.

6. happy1 Gems: 3/31

I have -11 now for my dual wielding fighter in chpt 3 but I have done nearly all the subquests.

My others are -3,-4 ish (i.e. Minsc and Keldorn)

7. Lord Sarevok Guest

Small question: are you dual wielding and wearing plate mail at the same time? Cause to me that's just...wrong. You should be able to dual wield with anything heavier than chainmail IMO. I mean, picture a guy in a knight's armor dual wielding two 4 foot long long swords! Just ain't right man, just ain't right...

8. How the heck do you have -11 AC when you're dual wielding. I can see -11 AC with Full Plate and a shield, but you I don't see how you can get -11 with no shield and be in Chapter 3.

9. Lord Sarevok Guest

Doesn't sound that hard. How about:

Full Plate Armor
    Ring of Gaxx
    Ring of Protection +2
    Cloak of the Sewers
    18 dex

Would that be enough?

10. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

He's probably got the Dragon scale too, since he's done most of the sub-quests.

Refresh my memory. 18 dex = 4 ac bonus?

11. total Guest

And don't forget that gridle that blurs, its +(-2)

12. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

How about -12. My assasin/fighter has -12, and can still use thief abilities.
    The key are the rings (Gaxx, Earth= -3), cloak(-1), amulets. Add to all that Shadow Dragon plate, or if you're a fighter something stronger, and that's -12 pretty easily.

13. Get Ring of Gaxx in Chapter 3? Well, if you were soloing . . .

14. Lord Sarevok Guest

Bah!

Ring of Gaxx is easy to get. Those liches aren't that hard, and neither is kangaxx himself with a scroll of protection from magic. Just bring along at least one +4 weapon; Staff of Rynn +4 or Sling of Everand +5(bonus merchant) can do the trick, as well as the Holy Avenger +5.

Well, in my game, you can't wear the Red Dragon Scale with protection rings, so that's why I didn't mention it.

15. Alith Anar Gems: 3/31

You SHOULDN'T be able to wear magical rings, amulets or cloaks with *any* dragon scale armours, or the Ankheg armour.

This is for the sake of game balance, AND in my opinion to incorporate the idea that magically-fuelled fires are the only ones hot enough to forge (red) dragon scales into a suit of armour.

16. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

But you can wear them, as long as its not Ring or Cloak of protection. I don't care about balance, stupid liches cast imprisonment after I kick their asses for 5 minutes. And if you're a fighter you don't have a lot special abilities, so a good weapon and AC are the main thing for you.

17. happy1 Gems: 3/31

Lord Sarevok is nearly right but I have

Red Dragon Scale Armour
    Ring of Gaxx
    Ring of Protection +2
    Cloak of the Sewers
    18 dex (=+4)
    Balduran's Helm (think that it adds one point)

Interestingly, the armour does not appear to act as magical as the +2 ring works with it. Ankeg or shadow armour won't work with the protection ring. I don't have an amulet yet (Corr, what amulet are you using?). I am using the girdle of bluntness but that does not show up on AC

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The red dragon scale is only not-magical in the unpatched game - the latest SoA (Inclusded in the ToB installation) and ToB patches finally and fortunately correct that.

However, my armor choices for best protection and best overall robustness are:
    -dex-18 (gaunts of dex at need)
    -single weapon style (my preferred choice)
    -full fieldplate (un-enchanted)
    -ring of earthelemantal control (name ?!, from the de'Arnise keep)
    -ring of gaax
    -cloak of protection +2
    -helm of Balduran or helm of glory or rose (name ?!) ion-stone

Additional protection can also be achieved with:
    -Shields (fortress shield, guardian aso)
    -cloak of the sewers
    -girdles: golden girdle, girdle of bluntness, girdle of piercing, girdle of inertial barrier
    -cloacks: cloak of mirriring, cloak of missile deflection (name ?!, with limited number of charges)
    -draw upon holy might and one of the in-boosting potions (the blue one :D ) also improve dex, resulting in an AC bonus

Dex AC-Bonus:
    -dex-15: +1
    -dex-16: +2
    -dex-17: +3
    -dex-18 to 20: +4
    -dex-21 to 23: +5
    -dex-24 to 25: +6

btw - a full plate certainly offers best overall protection, anyway, it might be diesirable to choose other armor and protection combos depending on enemy: like some scale mail and girdle of bluntness + shield when fighting golems ... ;)
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/armor.php

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited January 22, 2002).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.