1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What are the two heads on the cover of SoA?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Farthy, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

You know, the two heads that are opposite each other on the cover of the box and instruction manual of the game.

Is it a surface elf and dark elf? Or does it have anything to do with Amn that is not mentioned in the game or I am unaware of?

2. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I don't want to spoil the game...

The meaning of the Shadows of Amn logo becomes clear near the end of the saga.

3. Farthy Gems: 10/31

Veteran

I've beaten it before (I even think I've discussed the endings with you before).

Unless I'm stupid, or just less smart than you, I still don't get it. :D :D

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I had a couple of thoughts on it but most likely are all insane babbling.

1) Good/evil - just plain and simple
    2) Elliseme/Bhodi - the good and evil in your enemies life.
    3) Elf/Drow - the Drow rule supreme :thumb:
    4) Birds/Ankhegs - Yes, I was hyper. They do look a bit like it though :hmm:
    5) Reference to ToB, probably wrong anyways.

Does it become apparent in SoA O black hawky one?

BTW - are the heads male or female???

5. Vedran Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

These are the heads of the Child of Bhaal - your character.
    Obviously, he has only one head, so this is some kind of a symbol of his choice: to be good and battle his blood, or to be evil and relinquish to it.
    Inspired by Black&White, perchance?

6. Legitas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

IMHO I think that the upper head means Shadow thieves and the lower one means Bodhi and her vampires..They're the oposite groups in SoA.

7. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i agree with zvijer, i think they represent both sides of the coin, your either good or your evil, and thats the only constant in the story line throughout the BG saga, good vs evil

i will say this though, wasnt BG2 was out before black and white?

8. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Yeah, it was.

9. The Silver Bear Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

There's a recent post that have a similar question...and I will say something near to what I said there. I think the heads represent the liberty of each character in the game (something very similar to what Zvijer said), as if every single soul is being tested by its own mind. So the heads would be a representative of the main character and the other would be his shadow...so it comes the name Shadows of Amn. As you would always have two paths to follow...the good and the evil(just as Zvijer said)!

[ February 15, 2003, 19:14: Message edited by: The Silver Bear ]

10. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Don't the heads look like the head from the statue that you see during loading screens, and is also the statue within a temple (I think Lathander)? IIRC Lathander is a Lawful Good God of dawn, births, spring, renewal and new beginnings. His shadow, or darkside if you will, would be CE and a power of endings and destruction.

You can play 'good' stopping the Five and either become a God of good or remain mortal, starting a new age with more peace. Or you could be evil stopping the Five just so you could become an evil God of death and destruction.

Or it's just the circle of life, Lathander representing the beginning (BG1) and his shadow the ending (BG2-ToB). Just my thoughts.

11. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I think it's just a slick piece of art with little bearing on the whole story -- I heard an author talk once who complained that the graphic artist who had done her book had obviously no real idea of the story.

And Lathander, according to PnP rules, is Neutral Good.

[ February 15, 2003, 21:57: Message edited by: Depaara ]

12. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Just as everyone said they are the opposite of each other,and the place they connect is balance.

13. Farthy Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Thanks for all your suggestions. It really gets me thinking...

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Due to the designs on the heads, I've always thought the upper head was an Elf, and the lower head was a Drow. I just makes sense to me. :rolling:

15. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

You have my apologies... my age must be finally catching up to me.... :)

Anyway, the logo, as I interpret it, has several meanings. The two pictures are of an elf and drow - with the drow in the fallen position.

This makes sense given it is the plot of the game (or at least the hidden plot). The logo also had meaning for Irenicus - who, like the Drow, is a fallen elf.

And of course, the logo mirrors your character's dilemma - whether you will fall.

When you come to think of it, the plots of Shadows of Amn are exemplary. :thumb:

16. Vedran Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] **wasnt BG2 was out before black and white**

Yes, apparently it was, my bad. But both games were in making at the same time, and you know how it goes, demos and interviews are made, people steal ideas...
    Probably both of them were inspired by constant battle between Good and Evil.

17. Galaxyryder Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Wouldn't it have something to do with evil organizations in Amn or something cause the game is called Shadows of Amn?

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I think it's called "Shadows of Amn" because the game takes place in Amn and it's surroundings.

If you think about it, "Tales of the Amnish Coast" just doesn't sound right. Nor does "Trials of the Baalspawn". The developers probably couldn't think of anything that fit in with the story...hence, the name it has. :rolling:

19. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

They clearly missed a trick by not calling it "Baldur's Gate II - The Wrath of Irenicus". Or should that be "The Wrath of Jon"? :D

20. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Wrath of the bald elf :grin:

I never actually got Irenicus... does he have a leather thing sewn onto his head or somthing? Elves without their elfeness look goddamn freaky :shake:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.